The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Red Hot chilli peppers production
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
But I honestly don't think Anthony has really EVER considered himself a singer, or even have to sing for that matter.
I appreceate his modesty but it doesn't change the fact that the vocals sound horrible to my ears. I don't think that he has a bad voice but the pitch is so off that it's painful to listen to.

The problem to me is that the Chilis took so much from the great funk/soul guys like James Brown, Sly Stone, George Clinton, etc. And there you simply GOT to deliver vocally.

If technique and soul really come together then it can be transcendent:

Old 28th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I don't think that he has a bad voice but the pitch is so off that it's painful to listen to.
Which makes it easy to appreciate autotuning when it's artfully done. Like on Stadium Arcadium.
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Which makes it easy to appreciate autotuning when it's artfully done. Like on Stadium Arcadium.
Except that Autotune can't improve phrasing, which often makes the end result worse IMO.

As much as I criticised Kiedis above, I wouldn't change anything on BSSM incl. the vocals. I just couldn't get into anything they did after that.

And 'Soul to squeeze' is one place where a out-of-tune vocal can actually enhance the song. I vastly prefer that song over 'Under the bridge' but I guess sales figures said otherwise....
Old 28th June 2009
Quote:
[snip] when 'Under the Bridge' came on he said that this was the first single to which I thought he was kidding...
Wasn't 'Give it Away' the first single? Not that it matters viz Under the Bridge, but at least GiA is a continuation of Mother's Milk.

r,
j,
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Nut

i read somewhere, can't remember where though, that rick rubin mixed californication mostly in mono because he wanted it to feel like the band was right in your living room (or whereever you listen to music). if that's true, besides being overcooked, i think californication is a testament to some serious mixing talent. it's balanced and the separation is amazing for a mono mix..

i also think by the way is a great album, and generally like most of their stuff.. suck my kiss is awesome, that bass line just destroys everything in it's path..
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftiey View Post
is it just me or does anyone else really hate the production on BSSM and californication?
i don't know about the rest because i haven't given them a proper listen.
But like under the bridge for example, i hadn't heard it for the longest time, the last time I listened to it was before I got into audio. Then I gave it a listen like a few days ago and it was terrible to me, i love the song so it's quite sad. That's just one example of course, I could go on.

yeah other than one hot minute anything done by RR is pretty bad
The old stuff like freaky styley sound much better than the new stuff
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

And 'Soul to squeeze' is one place where a out-of-tune vocal can actually enhance the song. I vastly prefer that song over 'Under the bridge' but I guess sales figures said otherwise....
Soul to Squeeze is my favorite song by them. The bass playing at the end of that song is spiritual. Although I love Under the Bridge as well. How can you not love that song?
Old 29th June 2009
a think that BSRM are at the same level of Nirvana's Nevermind.
great songs, and a very fresh sound,like a live band sound.
top record IMO.
Old 29th June 2009
fAVORITE rhCH aLBUM "mOTHER'S milk"
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
fAVORITE rhCH aLBUM "mOTHER'S milk"[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/joe/Desktop/mOTHER%27S%20mILK.jpg[/IMG]
Did you just try to drag-drop a file from your desktop?
Old 29th June 2009
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Apparently for BSSM, Rick Rubin used 4 mics to capture the drums in a great sounding room at the Houdini Mansion were the album was tracked.

I think that whole album is a classic.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranhadrum View Post
Apparently for BSSM, Rick Rubin used 4 mics to capture the drums in a great sounding room at the Houdini Mansion were the album was tracked.

I think that whole album is a classic.
Well I saw at least 6 mics on the kit in Funky Monks. Two overheads (maybe KSM32's?), MD421 on toms, probably an sm57 on hihat, something on the snare side)... I didn't see the kick mic, but ther must be a kick mic
And there must some room mics for that crazy good room sound they got. Brendan O'Brien is the man.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have to admit, I lost interest in RHCP after Mother's Milk. Loved that album, and thought they really changed genres and lost that punk/funk edge afterwards. The production might have been good on BSSM and Californication, but nothing held me after Mother's Milk. Maybe its because they got clean, maybe it was because of Rubin.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

Kiedis is probably, and I am being generous here...

the most horrible "successful" singer I have ever heard, other than JMascis..

Off pitch(terribly),bland... the silly delivery he did as a youth doesnt work as an older man...... so I think he should just call it quits.
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Sometimes I think the drums are double tracked in the Power Of Equality. I have been spinning Brendan's albums a lot lately (Southern Harmony, Purple, BSSM, new Mastodon)... good stuff!
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Addict

for me, Californication sounds like they've digitally limited right up to 0dB and squashed the shee-ite out of it when mastering, so it kinda loses it's 'life'. I like it though, once that's been accepted.
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Maniac

BSSM is far and away their best album.. across the board in every aspect. At least in my opinion. Keidis is medicore at best but frusciante is too good.

Mr bungle spoofed them at a halloween show back in '99... no love lost there..

YouTube - Mr. Bungle- 1999 Halloween Show- Red Hot Chili Peppers Cover

Last edited by packagebear; 5th August 2009 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: you tube link
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The putch correction is the number one reason why I can't listen to recent RHCP. It is so painful and grating to listen. The man just can't sing to save himself. If he stuck to rapping he would have gotten away with it but that newer stuff is just freakin abysmal.
Having said that, Frusciante's guitar is sounding nice these days!
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Nut

wow...

I can't believe anyone would defend the sound on Californication. There is digital clipping ALL OVER that record. It sounds friggin' HORRIBLE. I love the songs, performances, band, but that record sounds like ASS, plain and simple. Import any track from it into your DAW and have a look/listen. Ridiculous.
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Addict

BSSM Great album! good production. I loved it when it first came out (actually on of the first CD's I bOught) and I still love it today.

Do I hear it differently as an engineer than I did as a kid with a skateboard and a half a pack of lucky strikes?

Of course, but that is me changing not the record.

BSSM all the way, and compared to what is considered popular music these days, I think its freaking remarkable!
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post

When I see their drummer now it's funny because he reminds me of Will Ferrell.
Yea, he's like a friggin clone!
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

A once KILLER band who are just growing older. Anthony should become a engineer/producer and just a general talent search guy. Not that his vocals offend me as much as others, but the guy started as a energetic rapper with a HUGE stage appeal/presence, unfortunately the times have changed, and that type of stuff (rapping, esp. for a white boy) is a bit silly.

If Brittney Spears had the Peppers(replacing Kiedas, and creating new music) write her music and lyrics, and they toured together/ jammed together in the studio/ improvised, and Brittney stopped "performing" and just rocked, they would blow people's minds!

I've always wanted some of these "pop" entertainers to get real bands and do something of quality. Can you Imagine if flea/john/chad had recorded the music to "hit me baby"..... my god, and Brittney in that school girl outfit....... I mean, doesn't this just make total sense?

Steelyfan
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I totally agree.

Strangely enough, musically speaking I think 'Under the Bridge' was their undoing. I remember driving to a gig at that time and a guy in the band had the just-released BSSM playing on cassette. I was really amazed by the music but when 'Under the Bridge' came on he said that this was the first single to which I thought he was kidding.... I never liked the song though I certainly can see why it has such a great appeal. (I feel the same about REM's 'Losing my Religion', IMO an equally boring and unrefined song that became a zillion-seller).

But after 'Bridge' hit, the Chili Peppers decided to become SONGWRITERS and that's when I started to lose interest. I love great songs but the Chili's forte were elsewhere I think. BSSM is a groove-monster on the level of the Meters or James Brown. I totally dig Frusicante's minimalistic guitar playing and it was also the place where Flea started to tone down his slap antics while still being outfront and innovative.

'Californication' sounded strange to me and not only because of the ultra-distorted sound. It seems that they were trying to channel the Beatles and to my ears it just doesn't work. Melodic songs need a melodic singer and Anthony Kiedis is not somebody I would label as such.

OT: To get an impression what Flea's scope is check out the 'Deluxe' version of Patti Smith's 'Horses'. The second CD is a 30-anniversary live take on the original album featuring Flea on bass and Tom Verlaine on guitar- stunning!
Much of your dislike of these songs probably stems from the fact that they were and are unavoidable. If they had never seen heavy radio play you might like them a whole lot better (or at the very least not mind them).
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Head

Drum micing

In the Funky Monks doc it looks like u87s were used for overheads, 57 on hats, 421s on toms, u47 between kick and 1st rack tom (is this a room mic? I've seen it done, but never knew what a mic in this position was trying to capture), can't see snare (assuming it's a km84), another mic out of the frame is higher above the left overhead mic, and rumor has it that the kick was recorded with a 57.
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Maniac
Red Hot chilli peppers production

Californication over limited. And. Don't like the drums
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Addict

BSSM was HUGE when it came out. I played the **** out it. I loved it prodution wise, and the peformances were spot in!.
Being that it was recorded in Houdini's masion was key to the sound. Those of you who live in Los Angeles will know what that is.
One production note that I always thought was very cool.....If you listen to Power of Equality, you're hearing two diffrerent drum performances. Panned hard left/right, one side you'll hear a very tight kit that's dry, the other side is a big "rock" kit in one of the "live" rooms. Chad Smith was BEAST!, and he nailed it.

CALIFORNICATION on the other hand, was not something I really listened to. In fact I haven't heard it since??.....can't remember. Also like others have noted, it was SLAMMED to hell. I believe One Hot Minute had the same problem....really distorted!!. Rick Rubin produced those, and that may have been when he started distorting everything??. Who knows, but I didn't care for it.

BSSM was also pretty distorted but in a good was. They drove the hell out of the NEVE they had, and it worked.

well,,,,,that's my two cents
Old 4th December 2010
I dunno, if you listen to something like BSSM and you are listening to the production, then you already missed the point I think. But, anyway, I think it sounds cool. And I like Anthony's vocals for that matter. Everyone doesn't have to be a great singer. I think he fits the bands, and that's what counts.

Flea is just stupidly good. It's a bit depressing sometimes. And not in an all flash sort of way. He's one of those Jamerson type guys who can play quite active stuff but it's always tight as something best not mentioned and still managing to hold down the bottom.

As a white guy with a great love of funk, I really appreciate that they were keeping alive that funk element in widely popular rock music decades after it was otherwise all but dead.
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

The band has such an intricate history and series of albums. Some of it is great; some of it less so.

The RHCP stuff that makes me cringe is when they are clearly phoning it in—which happens on occasion.

You know this is happening when the Anthony K. doesn't even bother to "write" lyrics and he sings stuff like "da dang dang ding dang dang..."

I realize cogent lyricism is not why we listen to this band, but, I mean, sometimes it's just lame.
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Loved BSSM when it came out. Nothing sounded like it....come to think of it nothing still sounds like it.

They were awful though when I saw them live on the Lollapalooza tour. John Frusciante was not in the band by this time and it made a huge difference.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search