The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Odd sound from Sennheiser e906
Old 24th June 2009
Here for the gear

Odd sound from Sennheiser e906

Hey Everyone,
I have been working in a studio that is using an iso booth (4x5 ft with 7 ft celing) to record loud distorted guitar. I have been using a Sennheiser e906 and have been placing it about an inch away from the grill and about 2 inches in from the edge of the cone (usually gives a very nice, crunchy sound). The amp is a bogner tube head and a half stack style mesa cab (sorry thats all I know off hand).

One thing I have noticed during the most recent recording was that when the guitar player played any kind of leads or single notes (anything but chugging) the sound would start out sounding great and slowly become darker and then start to get this weird kind of doubling sound to it.... then it would transition into almost a flanger type of sound. If the guitar player turned down his volume and then back up and played a lead, this same kind of experience would happen again. If he was playing chords/chugging, the sound would be totally normal!

We tried moving the mic around the speaker and it only does this when the mic is in between the center of the speaker and the very edge. In the center, there is no problem (but the sound is too high pitched and "gainy"). On the edge, there is also no problem (but it sounds too fuzzy).

I feel like I am going crazy with this problem so any insight would be much appreciated!
Thanks so much in advance!
--tms
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

weird...but it probably isn't the mic.

the tube head, maybe?
Old 24th June 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies.

No, I am not compressing it.. or adding any effects for that matter.

Recording with the Bogner is a whole new experience for me. That thing is SO powerful... probably the most powerful amp I have ever experienced. Barely any mic can handle it's sound in that iso booth. Besides that e609, I have tried an SM57 (sound was too thin) and a AKG D112. The D112 seemed to be big enough to handle that amount of sound.

I have noticed specifically that the part where it is the worst is when the guitar player is quickly playing individual notes. It starts when he plays two of the same note... only they are an octave apart. Is it possible that somehow the sound is coming out slightly different between the center of the cone and the edge and when I mic there I am hearing this??

Also, could it be that the Bogner is so powerful that even the e609 is having problems and distorting... causing this weird effect?

I was also thinking... could it be a flutter echo from the iso booth? I am open to any possibility... but I dont think that this is the problem since recording anywhere but on the grill gives a perfect, yet less tough sound.

Sorry to ramble... I am sure many of you reading this are familiar with a weird recording problems that makes you literally feel like you are losing your mind!

Thanks again for the replies... I appreciate people taking the time to help me with this. Please ask any other questions that you want to know that might help you with this issue.

--tms

PS: I forgot to mention that the guitar player is using an LTD Les Paul with VERY active pickups (thats all I remember off the top of my head). I am not sure if this is a problem or not. We tried playing the same part that gave us a problem with a standard fender strat and it still gave the effect... but much less.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Could be cone cry, bad tubes or any number of things.

I would check the pickups first. Anything from a dying battery to intermittent shorts can cause issues with active pickups.

Is he changing pickups for the single note parts?
Old 27th June 2009
Here for the gear

Cone cry? I am going to look more into this.

The cab I am recording on is a mesa cab with 4 speakers.... 4x12 I believe... maybe that is wrong... anyway, I am getting this problem when micing the top right speaker. I have noticed that the left speaker on the top doesn't work at all.... could that somehow be influencing the remaining top speaker or are they all wired independent?

Micing the bottom speakers create a more boxy sound (since they are close to the floor). I am planning on flipping the cab or propping it up on some cinder blocks.

Thanks again for everyone who has contributed to this question. I appreciate the help!

--tms
Old 27th June 2009
Here for the gear

After doing some research on cone cry, it seems like that might be the case.

I think I only started noticing the problem after the tube amp head had been on for a few hours. The head is outside of the iso booth and connected with a monster cable brand speaker cable. Is it possible that the heat of the tubes could be influencing the cab speakers and even creating these weird ghost/false notes?

Also, if one speaker has this cone cry problem, does that mean the other speakers will as well or is everything separate separate?

Thanks in advance for any help.
-- tms

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search