The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shawn Mullins Soul's Core vocal chain
Old 23rd June 2009
Here for the gear

Shawn Mullins Soul's Core vocal chain

I've been listening recently to Soul's Core trying to decipher the vocal sound. It's so 'bottom end'y and lucious. Lots of top end but no sibilance.

I just thought that I'd give it a whirl here and see if anyone here have worked with Shawn Mullins

The album is reeking with Nashville sound.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Ha,i pulled that record out last night for the first time in years.I was thinking the same thing myself!

I love that record!

Mike
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Addict

Love that record and +1 on the great vocal sound. I'll have to dig it out.

So, I didn't work on the record, but I did record Shawn once. His voice just sounds like that--very deep and incredibly resonant but with an amazing clarity. Not to discredit the skills of the people working on the record--they clearly did a fantastic job and nailed the sound.

It never ceases to amaze and excite me when a singer has the magic. Technique is a huge part of it, but I love pushing up a fader and getting the chills from hearing a really special voice. (Shawn had it, BTW) But I digress...

It looks like the record was done in Atlanta: Shawn Mullins - Soul's Core (CD, Album) at Discogs
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

one of my favorite records. great sounds. some of the best sounding acoustic guitar/vocal sounds i have ever heard.

i believe russ fowler mixed that record. the mix is fantastic.

good stuff.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Maniac

I too love that record! You're exactly right in describing his sound.... I would love if any Slutz who worked on it, or any other of Mullins' records, would care to comment.
Old 23rd June 2009
Here for the gear

Soul's Core is my go to reference when doing vocals - It's so obvious that Shawn just wails, but I'm pretty sure the sonics wouldn't have been quite the same, had he sung through a sm57 - It'd still be amazing just sonically different.

Anyone care to guess what the vocal chain is? My money's on perhaps a u87 or something along those lines?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search