The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Please watch this video
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Addict

Toro, calm down and space out your thoughts just a bit more evenly. You could do yourself a service by reading more thoroughly and responding to what's actually said, rather than knocking down straw man arguments with some arrogant and pompous tone. Here, let me help:

Quote:
don't make me laugh, distortion was prohibited
When was this that you're talking about? When Hendrix used it? It doesn't seem to have been prohibited then. I can't actually figure out what you're trying to say here, or how it enters into anything that's been said already.

Quote:
don't like auto tune, so of course, anybody that uses it is evil
On the contrary, I said I regularly use it, and don't even have a specific problem with the "autotune as an effect" thing. I do think it's being overused, and will sound very dated in a few years. I also think it was developed to compensate for a lack of ability that's pretty widespread - not from a natural occurrence that people eventually noticed in a positive light.

Quote:
I see, how about the chorus effect ? care to enlighten us on the n a t u r a l
evolution on of the chorus effect
Huh? What are you formatting this with? And yes, I can vaguely make out what you're trying to say, but it flies in the face of any kind of rational logic. Yeah, actually I'm pretty sure all those modulation effects including chorus were born out of the natural behavior of tape in different situations. Logic isn't your strong point - I'd stick to rhetoric and circular arguments - you're pretty good with those.

Quote:
singing "out of tune" makes the effect even more noticeable
You've been right all along! All these people are singing out of tune on purpose, in order to take better advantage of autotune. How did I not realize this?

Quote:
oH by the way the 80's are awesome
Did I say otherwise? I mentioned one common production technique that's generally associated with 80's pop, and referred to the fact that it's commonly acknowledged to sound "dated". Maybe the word dated carries an inherently negative connotation for you....I just used it to make a point.

Quote:
I love Hendrix, T-Pain, Seil Alla, The Cool Kids, Cold War Kids, Prince, Chie fulian, Fanial All Stars, Otis Redding, Daptone records, Lupe Fiasco, MIA Jay Z, Mastodon Kanye
Perhaps I could have stated what I was trying to say better. I really like a lot of music that I'm sure won't have staying power. That's not at the top of my list of criteria for what makes music enjoyable. It's a completely subjective experience, and any music people get something from has some inherent value. It's just not all equal. Some music requires years of practice and study, some requires a sampler and a basic familiarity with current trends in mainstream music. I might like some music from both camps, but it doesn't mean they carry the same weight.

Like I said, slow down, take a breath and then talk to the people outside your head. By the way, I realize the last paragraph of my previous post might be part of what you tripped over in the first place. It was intended as a joke, albeit one that may be accurate in the details - just not the tone.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgallaway View Post
Toro, calm down and space out your thoughts just a bit more evenly. You could do yourself a service by reading more thoroughly and responding to what's actually said, rather than knocking down straw man arguments with some arrogant and pompous tone. Here, let me help:

When was this that you're talking about? When Hendrix used it? It doesn't seem to have been prohibited then. I can't actually figure out what you're trying to say here, or how it enters into anything that's been said already.

On the contrary, I said I regularly use it, and don't even have a specific problem with the "autotune as an effect" thing. I do think it's being overused, and will sound very dated in a few years. I also think it was developed to compensate for a lack of ability that's pretty widespread - not from a natural occurrence that people eventually noticed in a positive light.

Huh? What are you formatting this with? And yes, I can vaguely make out what you're trying to say, but it flies in the face of any kind of rational logic. Yeah, actually I'm pretty sure all those modulation effects including chorus were born out of the natural behavior of tape in different situations. Logic isn't your strong point - I'd stick to rhetoric and circular arguments - you're pretty good with those.

You've been right all along! All these people are singing out of tune on purpose, in order to take better advantage of autotune. How did I not realize this?

Did I say otherwise? I mentioned one common production technique that's generally associated with 80's pop, and referred to the fact that it's commonly acknowledged to sound "dated". Maybe the word dated carries an inherently negative connotation for you....I just used it to make a point.

Perhaps I could have stated what I was trying to say better. I really like a lot of music that I'm sure won't have staying power. That's not at the top of my list of criteria for what makes music enjoyable. It's a completely subjective experience, and any music people get something from has some inherent value. It's just not all equal. Some music requires years of practice and study, some requires a sampler and a basic familiarity with current trends in mainstream music. I might like some music from both camps, but it doesn't mean they carry the same weight.

Like I said, slow down, take a breath and then talk to the people outside your head. By the way, I realize the last paragraph of my previous post might be part of what you tripped over in the first place. It was intended as a joke, albeit one that may be accurate in the details - just not the tone.
Hey you shpuld be a lawyer dude, you take your time to spread my glorious work a part and yeap it doesn't make any sense your right ... Auto tune is evil .... but i see more than you do thats all rock on !!
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey you shpuld be a lawyer dude, you take your time to spread my glorious work a part and yeap it doesn't make any sense your right ... Auto tune is evil .... but i see more than you do thats all rock on !!
Haha. I'm done. Just realized I'm arguing someone that sees more than I do. Here I am using my reasoning skills against pure perceptive realization. Absolutely useless.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search