The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Biggest Production Pet Peves
Old 28th August 2009
Gear Addict

Pet Peeves and/or gripes about today's music production??

Let's see..

Rock/Pop
How about the absence of guitar solos? I miss that. In High School all of us had to learn the Jimmy Page 'Whole Lotta Love" solo....any solos (or soloists) out there today that will be talked about 20 years from now? Probably not too many.

Creativity....anyone doing anything like 'Meddle', or is the Holy Grail a 3 to 4 minute song that gets heavy rotation and screw everything else?

Good acoustic sounds....anything out there today like "Going to California" or are we content with the cheap 'acoustic pickup' sound (except John Mayer)?

Rap/Hip Hop - lose the Autotune, and NO ONE should EVER talk during a song unless you're Johnny Cash.

Country

Everything I hear on the radio sounds like a poor attempt at imitating the Eagles and using a script from a Jerry Springer show for lyrics.

It seems to me that most music you hear today...you hear the producer more than the artists.
Old 28th August 2009
Lives for gear

I kinda like Auto-tune in THIS song (David Lynch - Ghost of Love).

Oh, I usually can't stand replaced drums and overedited songs in general. No life. But some just kick ass.
Old 28th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_cross View Post
Pet Peeves and/or gripes about today's music production??

Let's see..

Rock/Pop
How about the absence of guitar solos? I miss that. In High School all of us had to learn the Jimmy Page 'Whole Lotta Love" solo....any solos (or soloists) out there today that will be talked about 20 years from now? Probably not too many.

Creativity....anyone doing anything like 'Meddle', or is the Holy Grail a 3 to 4 minute song that gets heavy rotation and screw everything else?

Good acoustic sounds....anything out there today like "Going to California" or are we content with the cheap 'acoustic pickup' sound (except John Mayer)?

Rap/Hip Hop - lose the Autotune, and NO ONE should EVER talk during a song unless you're Johnny Cash.

Country

Everything I hear on the radio sounds like a poor attempt at imitating the Eagles and using a script from a Jerry Springer show for lyrics.

It seems to me that most music you hear today...you hear the producer more than the artists.
Preaching to the choir.
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Rap/Hip Hop - [...] and NO ONE should EVER talk during a song unless you're Johnny Cash.

Degrades the post. here you sound like a classical music teacher when he hears blues for the first time. Meh, probably the world will always remain flat.
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Addict

I do not understand your comparison. Most classical music teachers I have known love blues and jazz (mostly jazz though).

I 'get' rap/hip-hop and I don't feel I am 'above' it or it is 'beneath' me - if that is what you mean.

What I mean is when Jonny Cash said something - it was the voice of God.

Most rap hip-hop is so annoying - they try to say so much that there is no impact.

IMHO, I cannot call some idiot talking and screaming over some silly loop 'art'.

YMMV
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
IMHO, I cannot call some idiot talking and screaming over some silly loop 'art'.
squaaaaaare!
Old 29th August 2009
Gear Addict

Squaaaaaare.....AND loving it!!!!! hehheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search