The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pot smoking in studio?
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

never stopped Art Blakey ..
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

He's been dead for 15 years. This ain't the sixties, seventies, or eighties, or even the twenties, this a whole different ballgame.

You got inflation, deflation, oppression, depression, war, terrorism, mismanagement, all happenin' at the same time. With interest rates and oil prices spiraling up, you know there's gonna be trouble. When prices go up and wages come down, it's the double whammy.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Nut

Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

A gun is still a gun..I suppose Art never had it bad..he had about ten kids or more by the time he was 16..guns at his head..just a drummer..but he still made it to my place and left a message..it is what it is and war will be war..
you do what you think you have to and do it like you mean it!!
best wishes from London Uk.
Rob
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Guns tend to backfire, go for the butter.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

It was you who mentioned guns djwayne..
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I know, I know, .......so that's why I'm going grocery shopping....gotta stock up on supplies ya know....just in case I get grounded, or in case some other baloney happens.....talk at ya later.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Weed coke smack acid and host of other substances have given us the best music ever (also some of the worst...).... it may not be for the mixing or recording process (for every engineer) but sure as hell it is important (not if you don’t like it) for CREATING music....
Labs should be for medical staff ... studios are not, they are a creative environment and should be used as such.
Art and drugs have always been connected, those who don't understand why or refuse to understand are being pretentious.
Old 17th August 2005
Harmless Wacko

Blaze up Wastiod.

Whatever.

Cut yer tracks.

Don't gimmie any ****e.

SM.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Control room: no smoke of any kind
Rec room: only legal stuff (and with the value of the mics I use increasing, I might even rethink that)

And then there was this song "Why do you think they call it dope?"
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne

You got inflation, deflation, oppression, depression, war, terrorism, mismanagement, all happenin' at the same time. With interest rates and oil prices spiraling up, you know there's gonna be trouble. When prices go up and wages come down, it's the double whammy.

Damn, your right! This is all so depressing. Think I better smoke a fatty and forget about it. heh
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

No smoking anything in the control room! Luckily I have a bathroom nearby with a good fan. Only smoking in there. And no cigarettes, for that it is outside only.

But there isn't much "smoking" going on there, either. I have discovered the vaporizer. This is the only way to go. There is no smoke, no resin, and MUCH easier on the lungs.

Highly recommended.
Old 17th August 2005
The rules in my studio go like this:

No pot, unless you share it with everyone.

No joints, too much smoke in the room besides a lot is wasted.

No low quality pot. You need to smoke too much of it and it makes too much smoke.

No tobacco, period. I've cleaned out too many pieces of tar soaked gear.

Yes, it can be fun here in Carlsbad, as long as you follow the rules.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th August 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
The rules in my studio go like this:

No low quality pot.
You need to come to Canada my friend.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I got into a "tiff" with Black Rob once over this. We were in the "A" room working on some tracks, and he came in that day to be a guest on the track. Cool, whatever.

The Engineer (I was assisting) decided to let them smoke in the control room, even though the room had it's own lounge. Whatever. So Black Rob walks up to the 9000J and say's "I should blow this smoke right in here", and leans over the board. So I say from across the board (he was at the other end), "Sure, go ahead, why don't you dump your bottle of water on it while your at it". It got quite for a min, but he left the room. Smoking in the lounge from then on.

I used to have a picture of him sitting in front of the C-800 covered in a cloud of smoke.

I usually either have the client smoke in a lounge/seperate room, or send them to a rehersal room or something of that sorts. No smoking in the control room, of any kind.

The studio I'm at now dosen't allow drinking or drugs at all, and smoking is outside on the back porch only. I love it. Makes for a nice working environment.
Old 17th August 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Weed coke smack acid and host of other substances have given us the best music ever (also some of the worst...).... it may not be for the mixing or recording process (for every engineer) but sure as hell it is important (not if you don’t like it) for CREATING music....
Labs should be for medical staff ... studios are not, they are a creative environment and should be used as such.
Art and drugs have always been connected, those who don't understand why or refuse to understand are being pretentious.
It is not necessary in CREATING music (for everybody). Now LISTENING to it is a different thing (though even here the mind can be trained to listen in a certain way). I created my most 'out of body/mind' psychedelic listening pieces while sober (then tested it out later with my bong way back when my sole purpose was to create psychedelic music). This was of course, via scientific/experiential/observation from my own music as well as others'. I have given it up many years ago though (more negatives then positives, the musical highs I used to experience are gone)
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Nut

My studio got raided once. It was in a rundown strip mall by a neighborhood. On of the neighbors thought I was running a meth lab. No signs, windows, lots of traffic.
It was in the same parking lot in arlington where Amber got abducted years ago.

I got a knock at the door and was greated by 15 cops with black ski masks on.
Luckily for me, I run a zero drug studio. They searched and told me they WILL NOT be back. they were embarrased, but never apologized. I don't know what would have happened if I had a bunch of dope smoking musicians in here.

Steve
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

'Pot Smoking In Studios' is a discussion in 'So Much Gear SO Little Time'

That either means:

1. You consider Marijuana gear
2. You were too stoned to put this in the "Shoot The Breeze" or "Hip Hop" section

Hey Jules, can you move the drug threads ( now there is also a heroin thread ) to The 'Shoot the breeze' or 'August Hip Hop' Section? Drugs are not gear. If they are your gear, then do like they used to... keep it to your self.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think every good studio I've ever been to has come up with some way to let the artist smoke. I think its part of keeping people comfortable and happy.

If you're recording major pot heads, they dont feel normal and get real stressed out in the studio if they're not a little stoned.

If you have problems with drugs, owning a studio (unless its private) probably isnt the greatest idea. If someone thinks that drugs makes them more creative (which any drug user musician will say) then i couldnt tell them not to do what makes them comfortable when they're spending money..

I will tell people when I think their performance is starting to suffer to chill out, but as for the rest of the band, they should have fun and love making their record.
Old 17th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdude1
My studio got raided once. It was in a rundown strip mall by a neighborhood. On of the neighbors thought I was running a meth lab. No signs, windows, lots of traffic.
It was in the same parking lot in arlington where Amber got abducted years ago.

I got a knock at the door and was greated by 15 cops with black ski masks on.
Luckily for me, I run a zero drug studio. They searched and told me they WILL NOT be back. they were embarrased, but never apologized. I don't know what would have happened if I had a bunch of dope smoking musicians in here.

Steve
You better run a clean ship in Texas.
It's really another country.
I hear that they still give the death penalty for a joint.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hey the weed IS called GEAR

england....squares are fags...

that aside...pot smoke makes people neurotic and bitchy after years and years..

i went on tour and my fellow band mates insisted on bringing their smoke....annoying
foking drug addicts....should have turned em in to the virgina state patrol...

Concerning smoke in the studio

been going through "Temples of Sound" fun book...

and i swear, in half the pictures there are ashtrays on the console....

there is a photo of BrianWilson during the PetSounds sessions with an empty pack of Reds on the Console....
if you have the book look for the ashtrays....they're EVeryWhere...very funny
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K

That either means:

2. You were too stoned to put this in the "Shoot The Breeze" or "Hip Hop" section

Hey Jules, can you move the drug threads ( now there is also a heroin thread ) to The 'Shoot the breeze' or 'August Hip Hop' Section? Drugs are not gear. If they are your gear, then do like they used to... keep it to your self.
My thoughts exactly...this conversation has absolutley nothing to do with gear. Nor does the other smoking thread that's in here.

I do think it's a cheap shot to automatically assume it's the hip hop guys though. I'm not really into hip hop but that doesn't mean that just becuse the thread is about drugs that they started it...or keep the thread alive.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I thought this was a dope smokers help site..GEAR SLUTS...and that everyone was just being very understanding letting all this talk of music and stuff go on....
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K

That either means:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecastr
My thoughts exactly...this conversation has absolutley nothing to do with gear. Nor does the other smoking thread that's in here.

"So much gear, so little time! (51 Viewing)
Gear, gonzo rock n rolling on a DAW + session & music biz politics. Moderated by Jules - The Library, London UK"

I think a conversation about drug use in the studio certainly qualifies as "session +music biz politics" and maybe even the "gonzo rock n rolling" part too. Whether its banned or encouraged or ignored, drug use is a real issue for nearly every studio owner, client and engineer.

If the discussion makes you nervous, don't participate.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
You don't have to worry, I don't want to be there, and don't come crying to me when you get busted......it's still very much illegal around here.
Yeah. Bust those dangerous, cookie eating pot heads.

But just make sure we can still buy our guns gas and liquor in an unrestricted manner. Preferably all at one location for our convenience. YeeHaw!!!!

By the way I prefer there to be no weed consumed by anyone during the session, but after everyone's work is done, whatever. Just make sure the mics are taken down and don't put the ashtray on the console please. Oh and NO CIGARETTES in the studio. Ever.

-Z-
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Well here's a true story with a sad ending.....I knew this one hot keyboard player from back when I was playing out, a real friendly mello type guy, and he came over to do some quick tape transfers. We were friends but not real close, as I hadn't seen him for a few years, anyhow he asked if he could light up a joint and I said I preferred he didn't, so he went outside and smoked his joint.....he told me he was going on his dream of a lifetime vacation to California, he wanted to go there to party. A couple months later I read about him in the newspaper. Apparently he made it to California, hooked up with a couple of people, they took him out into the woods and bashed his head in with a large rock and killed him, stole his money, credit cards, and car. The people were caught and found guilty of murder. That's too bad he didn't stick around here. He was a cool guy.

Sorry, I don't have a point or a moral to the story, it's just this thread brought back his memory.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

thanks for the story djwayne..heres to absent friends..
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
If the discussion makes you nervous, don't participate.
Yup. Seems like more of a "control" issue to me.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

This thread is making me look for some rolling papers.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

NO SMOKING OF ANYTHING

N F G~!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search