The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
It Might Get Loud - Jimmy Page, Edge & Jack White
Old 22nd June 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
It Might Get Loud - Jimmy Page, Edge & Jack White

This looks like a pretty cool movie to see...

It Might Get Loud :: Coming soon to a theatre near you.
Old 22nd June 2009
Despite my various, somewhat illogical misgivings about all three of those players, I am actually very excited to see that film.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, I too am looking forward to this film (even though I'm not really a fan of them).
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

ya, that looks awesome!

"this is the hall where "when the levee breaks" was recorded"
I'm like "no wait go back"
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Sweeeeeeeeet.
Old 22nd June 2009
dsl
Gear Nut

No Misgivings - Can't Wait
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Nice!

-R
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Guru

This will be freaking cool!!!!!!
Three really interesting choices too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower View Post
ya, that looks awesome!

"this is the hall where "when the levee breaks" was recorded"
I'm like "no wait go back"
YES!!!!!!
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

**** man some of them scenes just looked so set up and lame
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Head

I think it will be great to see three different types of players meet up.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Wow!! looks like fun.

Wonder if it'll be of any interest to non-musicians or non-fans. Can't imagine anymore what it is to think like someone who isn't a musician, so I don't know.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Will this be out on DVD , too ??
Old 23rd June 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
Will this be out on DVD , too ??
No doubt, at least after it's had its theatrical run, however narrow that might be.

Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear
what the hell eh? LoL

a fantastic world famous fast creative bluesy influential legendary guitarist who practically invented modern guitar playing...

a guy who copies him pretty well and has really wierd ideas of production values,...

and the edge... a guy who's band is famous for not having great playing skill (although they certainly get by just fine LoL) and who I think couldn't play a lead guitar line to save his life (no insult there, he's one of the most creative songwriters and rhythm players I've heard).

should be very wacky and interesting!

cheers,
Don
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Addict

Pretty funny in a minute-long preview that the Edge pretty much gives away that he really can't play and he's propped up by his effect pedals, while Jack White nails a plank into a picnic table, strings a piano wire and a pickup to it, and plays something cool.

Jimmy Page is still the coolest by far.

I'm interested, but I kind of think I can predict what most of it's going to be like.
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
what the hell eh? LoL

a fantastic world famous fast creative bluesy influential legendary guitarist who practically invented modern guitar playing...

a guy who copies him pretty well and has really wierd ideas of production values,...

cheers,
Don
I'd say Jack White took way more influence from Dexter Romweber of Flat Duo Jets than he ever took from page. especially on the Stripes stuff. check this out. YouTube - Flat Duo Jets - Crazy Hazy Kisses
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=CapnMarvel;4311020]Pretty funny in a minute-long preview that the Edge pretty much gives away that he really can't play and he's propped up by his effect pedals, while Jack White nails a plank into a picnic table, strings a piano wire and a pickup to it, and plays something cool.

QUOTE]

Oh I don't know, he says that 'this is all he's doing' (paraphrased), not necessarily that he couldn't do something different, or flashier or whatever. And it doesn't really matter because he gets his point across much better than most of us ever will.

Reminds me of a BB King seminar I attended years ago. A teenage kid with a very large attitude was seated next to me. I had to endure his constant complaining about how did this guy make it, he doesn't have any chops, anybody can play 'Mary had a little lamb' etc. I had to wonder why he bothered to come. But BB came out and was emphasizing practice and how you need a certain amount of dexterity to be a good 'lyrical" player. He then proceeded to run a few scales. If he had a Jackson in his hands and a Boogie it would have been called shredding. It didn't even look like he was trying. Executed with beautiful cleanliness and feel. The guy sitting next to this kid on the other side (he must have been tired of the griping too) turned and said to him "I'll bet you need to go home and do some practicing". End of griping LOL. I guess my point is that the style people are known for isn't always representative of everything they can do.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

I'm always amused by what people consider ability. Because if Edge can't really play, then he's invented an entire genre of guitar playing that apparently doesn't exist.

But I sure like it!
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMarvel View Post
Pretty funny in a minute-long preview that the Edge pretty much gives away that he really can't play and he's propped up by his effect pedals, .
What counts is the results. If one note is the right thing to play, then play one note. "Chops" are overrated. It's all about serving the song. And I think Edge has done pretty good on that front.

And I am on the "can't wait for the movie" line.

How about a NY Slutz night at the movies?
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

The thing about the Edge is he doesn't just see guitar. He see's the guitar, the effects, the amps, and then song. The talent to write like that and not be afraid to experiment with sounds is far superior to just shredding. It's a totally different way to thinking and I'm glad he did it. The sucky part is anyone using the delay like him these days ends up with being a copycat!
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=gregl;4311706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMarvel View Post
Pretty funny in a minute-long preview that the Edge pretty much gives away that he really can't play and he's propped up by his effect pedals, while Jack White nails a plank into a picnic table, strings a piano wire and a pickup to it, and plays something cool.

QUOTE]

Oh I don't know, he says that 'this is all he's doing' (paraphrased), not necessarily that he couldn't do something different, or flashier or whatever. And it doesn't really matter because he gets his point across much better than most of us ever will.

Reminds me of a BB King seminar I attended years ago. A teenage kid with a very large attitude was seated next to me. I had to endure his constant complaining about how did this guy make it, he doesn't have any chops, anybody can play 'Mary had a little lamb' etc. I had to wonder why he bothered to come. But BB came out and was emphasizing practice and how you need a certain amount of dexterity to be a good 'lyrical" player. He then proceeded to run a few scales. If he had a Jackson in his hands and a Boogie it would have been called shredding. It didn't even look like he was trying. Executed with beautiful cleanliness and feel. The guy sitting next to this kid on the other side (he must have been tired of the griping too) turned and said to him "I'll bet you need to go home and do some practicing". End of griping LOL. I guess my point is that the style people are known for isn't always representative of everything they can do.

Great point, I've heard a lot of people *critisise* Paul Kossoff for not being *fast* and yet, I have spoken to pleople who knew him personally and all of them said, he was an amazingly accomplished Spanish/Classical style player, ie he could have played *fast * if he'd wanted to. There are probably 1000s of people can *play the legs off* Page?Whiite and The Edge, technically, but they ain't any of them, probably because, when it comes to a song they are clueless about such things as texture, feel and the sound that actually is * right* for the song..
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
and the edge... a guy who's band is famous for not having great playing skill (although they certainly get by just fine LoL) and who I think couldn't play a lead guitar line to save his life

I'd disagree with you quite strongly there.

YouTube - Bullet The Blue Sky( Live From Sydney Zoo TV)

Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
This looks like a pretty cool movie to see...

It Might Get Loud :: Coming soon to a theatre near you.
Thanks for the link (it currently goes to a page with no other content than the trailer, so that was cool too. It loads fast).

I will definitely be there (theater, video club) to see it when it comes out.

I'm not sure what the movie is about, but it looks like the elder statesmen are mentoring Jack White. If that's the case, then I will like it a lot.

I think that the BEST thing that Jimmy Page and The Edge can do at this point on their careers is to pass as much of their knowledge along to the next generations. Sounds sappy, but really, this would probably be the only way you can get me to willingly spend another dime on either Page or Edge at this point of my life.

Cheers,
++aldo
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

boring.

Jimmy Page- guitarist for the band I loathe more than any other, ever.

The Edge- Vanilla, boring...

Jack White-- the most tolerable of the 3, though still forgettable.

RomWeber, D. Boon, Tom Verlaine.....THATD be a flick.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

kinda wonder how much the movie tickets will cost

Mr page charges 25k for a 2-3k guitar

I think I will skip this flick
figure in page dollars probably over a hundred bucks just to see the movie
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Head

I'm very surprised that Page is not so well thought of on this forum. While playing styles certainly are a matter of personal taste, Page's contribution to studio/production work is undeniable. I would have thought the engineer/producer types on Gearslutz would be looking at bit more at the studio side of his career.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupa67 View Post
I'm very surprised that Page is not so well thought of on this forum. While playing styles certainly are a matter of personal taste, Page's contribution to studio/production work is undeniable. I would have thought the engineer/producer types on Gearslutz would be looking at bit more at the studio side of his career.
I know he swung a decent Axe ( and knows how to charge way to much for one )

but please tell about his studio/ production stuff...
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!!

I like Jack White, but he should deep throat his manager for getting him the role of representing the current gen guitarist. He's cool, but
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

Much love for Jimmy Page and Jack White!
People who think of music in terms of mathematics and schematics won't get either of em, and that's ok.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupa67 View Post

Les Paul's influence on production is undeniable....Chet Atkins...

but Jimmy Page... dont feel that he belongs in the same breath.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search