The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
'Perfecting Sound Forever' on NPR today
Old 22nd June 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
barefoot's Avatar
 

'Perfecting Sound Forever' on NPR today

'Perfecting Sound Forever': A History Of Audio : NPR Music

Quote:
Talk of the Nation, June 22, 2009 - In his book, Perfecting Sound Forever, Greg Milner explores the evolution of sound. His history covers the analog days of Thomas Edison through the present day of digital recordings, and the quest for sonic perfection.
Technological advances have complicated the debate about the value of the most accurate reproduction of a sound, versus the most enhanced. Whereas Edison set out to perfectly capture a live performance, today's sound engineers have the ability to create recordings from musicians who aren't in the same room — or aren't even alive at the same time.
Milner takes the reader through major breakthroughs and massive failures in recording history. He also digs into specific recordings from Lead Belly, the Beatles, Mission of Burma, Steve Albini and Massive Attack.
Old 22nd June 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
barefoot's Avatar
 

Bump.

It's on live this hour. Let's get a Gearslutz call in!
Old 22nd June 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Makinithappen's Avatar
 

I hope they have it available on podcast... did you call in?
Old 22nd June 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
I hope they have it available on podcast... did you call in?
you can hear it online regardless of podcast....some interesting stuff there.
Old 22nd June 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Makinithappen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit View Post
you can hear it online regardless of podcast....some interesting stuff there.
Yeah... I know but all my NPR listening is done through podcast on my iPod while I ride my bike/ mow the lawn/ solder cables/ ect... I have a hard time listing to stuff while stuck next to my computer. I will definitely check this one out later tonight, though.
Old 23rd June 2009
  #6
Gear Addict
 
TC Custom Audio's Avatar
 

I heard a bit of it. I was a bit surprised when Neal, the host, asked his guest what the loudness war WAS. I thought the loudness war was ongoing, but perhaps Neal knows something I don't. The guest went on to describe lack of dynamic range as causing "black holes" in the audio. What in the hell does that mean? I would say this description is utterly useless.

I had to turn it off. Oh, and don't even get me started on the listener call-ins.
Old 23rd June 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
Yeah... I know but all my NPR listening is done through podcast on my iPod while I ride my bike/ mow the lawn/ solder cables/ ect... I have a hard time listing to stuff while stuck next to my computer. I will definitely check this one out later tonight, though.
i bet you can get a "talk of the nation" podcast.....i think all the other shows have one.
Old 23rd June 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
barefoot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannytown View Post
I heard a bit of it. I was a bit surprised when Neal, the host, asked his guest what the loudness war WAS. I thought the loudness war was ongoing, but perhaps Neal knows something I don't. The guest went on to describe lack of dynamic range as causing "black holes" in the audio. What in the hell does that mean? I would say this description is utterly useless.

I had to turn it off. Oh, and don't even get me started on the listener call-ins.
Yeah, it's disappointing when the guest "expert" knows so little about the topic he's discussing. You would think that radio folk would have a better handle on the subject of audio than most, and actually bring in someone who could explain these things clearly but precisely to the general public. Where is our Neil deGrasse Tyson for the audio world?
Old 23rd June 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Yeah, it's disappointing when the guest "expert" knows so little about the topic he's discussing. You would think that radio folk would have a better handle on the subject of audio than most, and actually bring in someone who could explain these things clearly but precisely to the general public. Where is our Neil deGrasse Tyson for the audio world?
This is so serendipitous. I just posted some video clips with Neil deGrasse Tyson and then a few minutes later I read this thread and you mention him. What is it, do longtime GS posters have some sort of telekinetic connection?

Old 23rd June 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Makinithappen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit View Post
i bet you can get a "talk of the nation" podcast.....i think all the other shows have one.
Yep.. Got it and listened to it this morning. I liked it, although the listener call ins were terrible.... I mean.. the kid who plays back high quality mp3s through a crappy tape deck to give it an analogue sound?

It was pretty interesting about how there was still one engineer that specialized in recording to wax cylinders.
Old 24th June 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Alex Specht's Avatar
 

This show sounded a little like the moaning and groaning that goes on in the GS Music Business Forums.

The general public (and media) seems to be several years behind. For example when the host asks the guest to explain what is ProTools... Do you really have to explain what a tape deck was...

Also the ideas that were mentioned regaring the way that technology changes the creative process and the implication that performance is often hindered or taken for granted by use of DAW tech was a good insight.

Last, I thought it was insightfull how they explained that 10-20years ago performers would go on tour to promote the albums and now we make albums to promote the tours.

Finally two interesting and facts that a Gearslut should know but better off not knowing...

The tape machine was first used by the Germans (****s presumably) in WW2

The first #1 song to be recorded on PT was Livin' La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin

GREAT JOB NPR ... now bring these type of shows to the rest of the public to understand
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump