The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reverb noise on Fender amp
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Reverb noise on Fender amp

Any idea why I would be getting noise when I engage the reverb pedal with my Fender Super Reverb? No noise at all, but when I switch the reverb channel on I get this odd noise--like someone brushing along the side of a wall in a cavern. Every once in a while he stops and it is silent. Then he starts walking again.
That's about as good as I can describe the noise. This noise happens even when I don't have anything plugged into it. Immediately goes away when I disengage the reverb.
I've had the amp for around 4 months.
Old 17th August 2005

Do you have the reverb turned all the way up and have the amp on a less than stable platform?

I used to turn up the reverb and smack the amp for effect....

-tINY

Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

maybe there is a religious miracle taking place in your amp - maybe this a great
opportunity....have you ever had stigmata ?

- jack
Old 17th August 2005
My Blues Jr (an early model) has the single noisiest reverb circuit I've ever heard. It's clearly a serious impedance mismatch, hissy as a pit three feet deep with vipers. It's been that way since day one. I don't expect much in terms of quality control from this era's Fender products -- but this was even more insulting than usual. Still, I kind of like the basic amp. I even like the sound of the spring. But the hiss is so overpowering that the verb is pretty much unusable.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear
I have experienced
* mechanical influence, touching the amp was a thunderstorm sometimes
* bleed through from the vibrato oscillator
* impedance mismatch hiss

be happy if you can hide it in analog tape recording hiss heh

check the pedal cable, maybe it needs some better shielding
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Nut

Is it tube reverb by chance? Sounds like a bad tube to me.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

fender reverb and hallucinatory experiences

OK.
I think it is more likely to be a tube problem, since the reverb is tube reverb.
Thanks for the help. I don't think it is an impedance mismatch.
Interestingly, the problem started the day I plugged my new TS9DX into the amp, and yet the problem now exists even with the TS9DX disconnected. Could high gain like this age/kill/hurt the tubes?
I had a second stigmata last night.
I had the TS9 connected, along with my Les Paul Standard. I began to hear (clear as day), religious talk (in southern drawl) through my Super Reverb amp. I'm thinking that I have been blessed. My amp is talking to me. I kneeled down in front of my amp and found spiritual enlightenment.
Hopefully this won't happen again.
I don't think I'm going to get the reverb tube problem fixed until it gets really bad or I have other tube problems.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack jonz
Is it tube reverb by chance? Sounds like a bad tube to me.
That's what I would guess. Just gently tap on all the tubes and see if one makes lots of noise. You should be able to get a new 12ax7 tube and swap it out with the faulty reverb tube. I may be wrong, but I think the reverb tube on the Super Reverb is the tube on the far right (looking at it from the back). Consult your local guitar store if you're unsure.
Old 17th August 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

I would suggest it is a bad reverb driver tube as well. That would be the easiest place to start.
Old 17th August 2005
Pull the reverb tank return RCA plug in the rear. Does the noise go away? Bad 12AX7A. Now, pull the driver side RCA plug. Does the noise go away? Bad 12AT7A reverb driver tube.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

swapping out the tube

Would I need to bias the amp if I just swap the reverb tube?
Thanks.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

No need to bias the amp when switching preamp(Reverb driver) tubes.
Biasing is for Power tubes on some model Amps

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search