The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lex Omega, Echo AF4, Saffire LE, EMU 404??
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Lex Omega, Echo AF4, Saffire LE, EMU 404??

looking for an audio interface for my thinkpad T61. i need at least 4 analog inputs and the ability to record four tracks simultaneously. four good preamps is a plus, though i dont know if i can expect that (or even two good preamps) in this price range. i have outboard preamps to use in the studio, but it would be nice if the preamps in the interface were good enough to do occasional remote two-track classical recordings.

considering the following units:
lexicon omega - FW, 2 pres, nice bundled reverb plug
m-audio fast track ultra - 4 pres, comes in either FW or USB2
echo audiofire 4 - 2 pres, FW
focusrite saffire LE - 2 pres, FW
EMU 0404 - 2 pres, comes in either FW or USB2

which unit has the best preamps? any reason to choose FW over USB2 to deal with only 4 tracks at a time? any of these units have drawbacks you are aware of? other comments, considerations, recommendations are appreciated. thanks.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

ooops - looks like the omega is not FW, and is only USB 1, so i guess it is off the list.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

no opinions on any of these? am i aiming too low on the interface curve? what are the good interfaces to get 4 simultaneous channels at once?
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

love my AF4 on vista and xp but only 2 preamps.
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Addict

What about the new Lexicon I-ONIX U42S? It looks really slick, has four preamps and is USB 2.0. I've had my eye on one, but I haven't been able to find any user reports online. If you get one, let me know how it works!
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

brian - do you think the dbx pres in the lexicon would be any better than m-audio pres in the FT ultra? i also wonder if the two pres in the AF4 might be significantly better than the other options? or perhaps worth it to jump up $ to the mackie onyx pres?
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

As an AF4 owner, the pres are nothing special. If I had it to do over again, I would likely try the Onyx. The Onyx has better pres and if I am not mistaken, it features Echo conversion. I know there was a partnership of sorts on some of those products.

The Echo pres are a bit flat. I still use them when necessary and they certainly don't screw things up but are just so-so.

Hope it helps
Rob
Old 22nd June 2009
Here for the gear

I made good experiences with tc electronics konnekt 24d and a thinkpad (r51) - preamp-wise and vst-wise (the reverb is quite good).
does the thinkpad sport a texas instruments firewire controller? if so, i would recommend getting a firewire interface for recording 4 tracks simultaneously.

others (and very stable ones): rme fireface (400 or 800)
the motu ultralite seems to be very popular or the 828
also: presonus firestudio (or the smaller ones like firepod)
the edirol fa101 also seems to be a good choice

usb-wise the NI audio kontrol 1 gets praise, also, there is a NI synth bundled
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

thanks - i will add the konnekt 24D to the list. my thinkpad is a T61 and has a Ricoh ohci compliant ieee 1394 host controller - is this the correct one for stable FW use?
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Addict

The sound of the Audiofire is very good for the price but the preamps are pretty bad. Buy a DMP3 or another cheap dual preamp to go with it and you'll be good.
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
brian - do you think the dbx pres in the lexicon would be any better than m-audio pres in the FT ultra? i also wonder if the two pres in the AF4 might be significantly better than the other options? or perhaps worth it to jump up $ to the mackie onyx pres?
Sound on Sound reviewed the firewire version of these new Lexicon interfaces recently and said good things about the pres: according to them they’re clean, uncolored, and low-noise.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

how do i check compatibility of my Ricoh ohci compliant ieee 1394 host controller with various FW interfaces?
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Audiofire 8 all the way. If you can't go with 8, you can go with 4.
Good products.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search