What about your volume while mixing?
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

What about your volume while mixing?

Anyone actually measured the SPL during the mixdown? What´s your
average level?
Quite a while ago i had the opportunity to get my hands on a decent
SPL meter. I wasn´t too surprised reading 85dBA. Seems to be a good
balance between "the fletcher/munson thing" and "saving the ears"....
well, that´s what i think...

OK, everyone will (or at least should) change the volume during the mixdown -
i´m talking about the average level...

How do you handle this? Let us know!
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

85-87dB SPL-A weighted
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

I usually monitor at 85 dBA or less.

and...

According to OSHA:

Quote:
1910.95(c)(1)

The employer shall administer a continuing, effective hearing conservation program, as described in paragraphs (c) through (o) of this section, whenever employee noise exposures equal or exceed an 8-hour time-weighted average sound level (TWA) of 85 decibels measured on the A scale (slow response)
But I don't go for 8 hours at a time anyway.

Steve
Old 16th August 2005
One with big hooves

I usually run around 85-90dB SPL, C-weighted.

Measuring C-weight as opposed to A-weight is a bit more accurate, since A-weight filters everything under 500Hz.

At times I'll crank it way up and then bring it way back down to a whisper level (maybe 60dB) to see if the mix is holding together or falling apart at the extreames.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

listen to your mix at all levels
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

mixing at "pin drop" levels helps the ears make it through those long sessions.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

80/85 dBA

90 dB peaks.

Nothing hotter except for the one obligatory, "smack this motherf*cker up once" playback just to check it at ear death level for things that stick out.

That's once per song.

Period.

And NOT on the nearfields. On a consumer ref rig.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

i love music at 85db, it's the perfect balance of visceral smack and visual depth. i tend to keep things closer to 75, maybe every 3rd or 4th pass i crank it. then one or two at 65.

lots of 1 speaker mono. gotta have mono.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 17th August 2005
I'll pull things way down to an almost uncomfortable level, which is probably around 50db give or take. It shows some interesting things that you can't hear even at 85db. Then I'll pump it to about 95db sometimes just to see what rocks. 75db when editing and of course 85db when doing final eval.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnerabb
Nothing hotter except for the one obligatory, "smack this motherf*cker up once" playback just to check it at ear death level for things that stick out.

That's once per song.

Period.

And NOT on the nearfields. On a consumer ref rig.

YES, I love that one. I do it a little more though, maybe two or three times for very short periods of time. And once or twice on the mains.

I also monitor at different levels. Sometimes very low, sometimes as high as 90. Depends a lot on what I'm feelin at the time.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear
Loud, most of the time.
Old 17th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

I don't measure while I'm mixing, although I have marked my monitor pots at 85dB C weighted super Rat Shack meter...just so I know. I'm usually somewhere slightly hotter than 85 but I agree with Nathan...you can learn a lot about a mix at lower volumes but I tend to build them hotter at first.

War
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Just this year I purchased an SPL meter and to my surprised i was mixing at 92-94 DB..........I really like to feel the music when I am mixing.......I have been doing my best to keep it in the 85-87 range since I bought my meter.......My mixes are coming out about the same and I am not having as much fun!
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I don't measure while I'm mixing, although I have marked my monitor pots at 85dB C weighted super Rat Shack meter...just so I know.
That seems like a good idea to me. Guess i will do that next time i can
get the SPL meter....
Old 17th August 2005
Old 14th August 2007
Here for the gear

I just set up some new monitors and was curious how loud I like to listen at. Pulled out the DB reader and it looks like I'd mix around 75-80, make it "loud" at 85-90 and casually listen at about 60-65.

Turned on my amp and apparently I play between 80-90db on a "loud" day.

I never knew I was so "safe"
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Addict

I'll start real loud and go to a whisper. Most of the time it will be 86-90dB SPL C wighted.
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

From "barely audible" to 82 dB C.
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Niedt View Post
From "barely audible" to 82 dB C.
That's close to what I do.
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear
I keep a Radio Shack meter on my desk and check it often so as to keep the volume from getting out of control. I usually start out at 80-85 A weighted as I dial in most EQ and stuff and then when the song is mostly together and I get down to bizness it's 85-90. I will have moments where I crank it up to 95 and down to stoopid quiet. I take a lot of breaks and mix my daily work schedule up so I typically don't mix more than 5 hours in a day - with lots of e-mails, phone calls, walks, errands, and what-not scattered throughout.
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

75/78 for music

85 for dialogue

louder and quieter for short periods
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll have to chime in with 85-90 db crowd, for most evaluating part of the mixing.

Editing and such 75-80 db. I even drop it really low just to check stuff too, maybe 45-50?

I ve been good about keeping it low for the majorty of the time....

What was that? Did someone say something?
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

Usually around 79-82.
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

I mix at really low levels, i dunno the DBs but real low it let you hear all the instruments, after that i check at all levels
Old 14th August 2007
Gear Guru
I'm with the mostly medium crowd. I do really like low levels on the Auratones. I spend a lot of time there. Plus the occasional just-for-fun-crank-it-up. Gotta make sure it's moving Air!

I also like to crank it and walk away from the speakers. You sometimes catch things from the next room.
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Loud, most of the time.
me too, ROCK!!!!
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

85-90
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you mix at a good reasonably loud volume you will have much more headroom in the end and a better mix usually.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you mix at a good reasonably loud volume you will have much more headroom in the end and a better mix usually.
i don't see the correlation between headroom and mix volume...

is it because having the monitors blaring in your face reduces one's tendency to keep pushing faders up?

personally, i probably do most of my mixing around 70-75...i like to do the bulk of my work at quieter volumes, but am definitely down for cranking it when need be.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search