The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can I smoke in the studio?
Old 5th October 2015
Lives for gear

I think it's idiotic to smoke, in a studio or anywhere else.

But on a related note, my question is -- can I do heroin in my vocal booth?
Old 5th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
I think it's idiotic to smoke, in a studio or anywhere else.

But on a related note, my question is -- can I do heroin in my vocal booth?
Much probably depends on the method of ingestion, of course. Some are tidier than others.

One thing, don't drool into the mic.
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
2 dozen cigarettes? My god, every mic used before 1990 must be damaged.
As smoking in the studio was normal up to a couple of years ago I guess all vintage mics where heavily affected by this sticky film

This may very well be why those real vintage mics sound much better than all recreations, despite all efforts of the mic builders
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel V View Post
As smoking in the studio was normal up to a couple of years ago I guess all vintage mics where heavily affected by this sticky film

This may very well be why those real vintage mics sound much better than all recreations, despite all efforts of the mic builders
Old 6th October 2015
Here for the gear
Thanks for the responses.

Anyone have any leads on where I might get my LDCs cleaned in NYC?

I am moving back later this year.

A scan of another message board turned up DBM Pro Audio Services (dBm Pro Audio- NYC's Finest Pro Audio, Guitar and Musical Amp, Keyboard, Speaker, and Guitar Repair Center.).

Anyone have any experience of this firm, whether for diaphragm cleaning or otherwise?

Thanks for any leads.

Saludos,
Old 6th October 2015
Quote:

Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Especially those vintage ones from a couple years ago.
Sorry ..
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

What about marijuana smoke??
Old 6th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by edvdr76 View Post
Ever seen the inside of a bong or seen someone clean out a pipe?

As noted above, one might suspect that a moderate pathway there would be for the person indulging to use a so-called one hit pipe and take in a reasonable amount of smoke (so as to avoid coughing it all back out, unabsorbed); also keep the pipe covered when not being actively drawn on, so as to put out the combustion and limit 'wasted' smoke coating your gear.

That's probably the next best thing to vaping, with regard to impact on surroundings
Old 6th October 2015
Gear Maniac

People used to smoke in hospital beds. That really looks strange now in old movies. I went to a doc in LA in the 80's who would smoke as he was examining you. Drop ashes right on you and all. He was a good doc.
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
...well, if it's your body, it has been known that cannabis can act as an expectorant - thus to some mild degree, up to a point, if one smokes tobacco, pot may have some mitigating effect on the tar buildup in the lungs produced by cigarettes.

However, with equipment, if exposed to both types of smoke certainly will have greater deleterious effects as opposed to one or the other, but generally there is nothing more corroding than a buildup of cannabinoid resin over time, especially in enclosed confines with heat buildup.
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewitness View Post
People used to smoke in hospital beds. That really looks strange now in old movies. I went to a doc in LA in the 80's who would smoke as he was examining you. Drop ashes right on you and all. He was a good doc.
My doctor has always told me to smoke. Part of his advice runs “Smoke away, my dear chap. If you don’t someone else will.”

- Erik Satie
Old 6th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
...well, if it's your body, it has been known that cannabis can act as an expectorant - thus to some mild degree, up to a point, if one smokes tobacco, pot may have some mitigating effect on the tar buildup in the lungs produced by cigarettes.

However, with equipment, if exposed to both types of smoke certainly will have greater deleterious effects as opposed to one or the other, but generally there is nothing more corroding than a buildup of cannabinoid resin over time, especially in enclosed confines with heat buildup.
Now there's a nuanced answer.

The expectorant thing is new to me, I'll have to check it out. Some interesting new science has come out on cannabis use, but, of course, some -- not you, I'm thinking -- have occasionally got a little overenthusiastic passing along not-necessarily proven health benefit claims. (That said, such claims are typically far more extravagant and less focused, leaning to the 'nature's all-healing herb' end of things. Being an expectorant sounds boring enough to be credible. )
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Maybe we're just lucky (or maybe we just have a few clients), but no one has asked if they could smoke here yet. If necessary, they can sit out on the front porch; we've got three rockers, they can take their pick. Or they could walk out to the back pasture. Way, way back
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
Maybe we're just lucky (or maybe we just have a few clients), but no one has asked if they could smoke here yet. If necessary, they can sit out on the front porch; we've got three rockers, they can take their pick. Or they could walk out to the back pasture. Way, way back
Maybe depends on where your clients live. Big city folks are well assimilated to smoker taboos. People from more rural areas hang on to smoking freedom like it's a first amendment right.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Depending on whether this is a private studio or a commercial facility smoking could be illegal (also depending on where you live, of course.)

Nevertheless, of course it affects the equipment. Have you ever seen a kitchen or a room that's not been repainted for many years? Usually you would see yellow corners.

I was actually leaving one of my Rode mics uncovered for ages hoping the dust would give it more character...
Old 10th October 2015
Smoke is soot, tar, oil, and ash, so basically it's sticky smelly dirty grimy dust.

Might as well open up your equipment, spray some cooking spray inside, and then dump an ash tray in.

Who wants to try it and report the results?!
Old 10th October 2015
Should be fine. By the time the tar buildup is enough to affect the gear, you'll be dead.

Go for it.
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think if it gets on your mic capsule it brings out the high end
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
Smoke is soot, tar, oil, and ash, so basically it's sticky smelly dirty grimy dust.

Might as well open up your equipment, spray some cooking spray inside, and then dump an ash tray in.

Just tried this on my new pre amp.
It now sounds vintage.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Guru

I smoke way too much, my one bad vice.

It does build up a yellow nicotine film on everything eventually and does get everywhere.

I keep my board covered when not in use and mics are covered at all times unless I'm using them, but only I am using them.

Even as a smoker, I'd recommend keeping smoke outside.

If you're in a home studio its bad enough there's kitchen grease and critter fuzz in the air.

Adding nicotine goo gives it all more to stick to.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Can anyone else smell fish, or is it just me?
Old 11th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Just tried this on my new pre amp.
It now sounds vintage.
Thanks for the tip!
Awesome! Glad it worked out for you. Maybe I'll try it on this mixer I've had laying around. Some of the lettering has worn off but I think it is a "leve" console. Anybody ever heard of it?
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear
A reefer might be good for your creativity in the studio but it is not good for the workability of da equipment. The equipment will not feel the vibe like you. After a while it will die just like you if you continue smoking that ****.
Old 13th October 2015
Here for the gear

Isn't that hard to go outside and smoke anyways... Usually.. I never smoke around any of my equipment.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post

I always did get a kick out of the boogieman syndrome responses... Perhaps if there were four dozen chain-smoking, 250lb heathens in the studio that smoked round the clock and exhaling directly at equipment. then perhaps you might find some residue in equipment and obstacles. Outside of equipment should be cleaned anyway.

I quit and converted to vapor for months now... I am brutal when I smell it too. Ex-smokers are your worse critics... lol. But quite honestly... unless it is in serious duration and abused... I doubt it is a big problem. jmo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search