The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can I smoke in the studio?
Old 18th November 2006
Lives for gear

Nicotine addiction is a hard rain fallin' and it's gettin' sunny

Wow I just made an unintenitonal pun what with Bob Dylan and Sonny Barger holy crap VU JA DAY

Enjoy the Journey Kev
Old 12th April 2007
Lives for gear

yep... here tobacco is only allowed on the porch... but it´s a nice view of the beach... most people would rather stay there than in the studio anyway..
Old 12th April 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
Would you tell Kieth Richards to go smoke outside .....????? I want a serious answer...

How 'bout Paul McCartney, should he be given the bum's rush to go outside to smoke a jay ?
Both guys would get me enough money for the whole session to get my stuff cleaned and buy another desk. You shouldnt compare these megastars to what people usually have in the studio...
Old 12th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityRobert View Post
Both guys would get me enough money for the whole session to get my stuff cleaned and buy another desk. You shouldnt compare these megastars to what people usually have in the studio...
You would charge someone more for your SERVICE that they can get ANYWHERE ELSE just because they have a lot of money? If you record bands for $200 a day...you should record Keith Richards or some other coked out blowhard for $200 also.
Old 12th April 2007
Jacking up the price becuase people can afford it is a little skectchy, but it's pretty common for people to have sliding scales.
Old 12th April 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
You would charge someone more for your SERVICE that they can get ANYWHERE ELSE just because they have a lot of money? If you record bands for $200 a day...you should record Keith Richards or some other coked out blowhard for $200 also.
I dont know, I havent charged anybody anything but if I had a 'high' roller, I might jack up the prices.

I was more referring to the fact that these people work on a larger budget thus spending more time in your facility = more $ in the register. Not necc. higher hourly rates on the engineers part, more that they leave you with more money on the long run, I think.
Old 12th April 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
If you record bands for $200 a day...you should record Keith Richards or some other coked out blowhard for $200 also.

Maybe, but none of them could smoke in my studio. I don't care who they are.
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

the only "smoking" allowed in my studio is a "smoking" hot babe.

I don't smoke, neither does my gear.
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han View Post

Another problem is food and drinks, a guy poored his coffee accidently over the SSL console in the biggest studio in the Netherlands, that has cost him a lot of money for there's a sign on the wall: 'No food and drinks in this room'.
Dude, I don't know why, but that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. I know it sucks, but the studio owner wouldn't have been happy if I were there. He'd be like,"Man, will you please stop laughing, sir!" Poor guy with the coffee, though.
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

You can't smoke in any public building since April 2nd in Wales.

It's a good thing because even though I tried to be good, when it was raining and cold outside I did have a sneaky smoke in the control room.

Coming to England soon so watch out
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Maybe, but none of them could smoke in my studio. I don't care who they are.
+1

I hate smoking.
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

i LOVE smoking ( well, thats what the addicted has to say i guess heh )

i wouldnt smoke in the studio and theres death row for smoking near the microphones

and looks like they sent the smoking-smiley on GS to retirement as well !?
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

At my place smoking clients (usually a&r and artist managers) have the outside patio to smoke. No one's smoked in the control room and recording room yet... but if they did, I'd kick them out immediately no matter who they were!

I respect smokers as long as they respect me so it's cool.
Old 9th August 2013
Here for the gear

So, obviously cigarette smoke is mad for equipment - what about electronic cigarettes?
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

It depends. If its A big high profile person, I just let it go,it's not like they're gonna live there forever. But not around the Mics. Fear.....
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Keep in mind, 90% of that vintage gear everyone loves was smoked around for the first 30 years of its life.......

Now if they would just make gear that lasts 30 years again.
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

i don't work in an operating theatre but in a mixing room.
i couldn't care less about the effects on my equipment.
i just don't impose my smoke on others.
where i live non-smokers and ex-smokers are very tolerant.
Old 10th August 2013
pgk
Gear Nut

in the old days most all places allowed smoking in the tracking room, hell even in the control room. these days i compromise and will book a room that allows smoking in the tracking room only. i will NOT book a room that does not allow that concession. if guys in my band smoke (and i do too) it's about Their comfort factor and not having to disrupt the session every hour for something as dumb as a smoke break. no cigarette for a couple hours and folks start getting jittery and it affects their performance. yes, we are nicotine junkies. even if i didn't smoke i'd feel the same way, and that's the truth. it's about getting everyone in their comfort zone to make the best music they can. old fashioned? yep, i sure as hell am
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

"Mind if I smoke?"

"I don't care if you burn!"

Old joke...
Old 10th August 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron-77 View Post
So, obviously cigarette smoke is mad for equipment - what about electronic cigarettes?
Only if you're mixing EDM...

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Wow, way to dig up a 6 year old thread :P
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

No smoking in my sanctuary. smoke outside.
Old 10th August 2013
... smoke on the water, a fire in the sky...
Old 4th October 2015
Here for the gear
How much smoke exposure needed to damage LDCs?

Hi. Reviving this thread. I'm doing a mobile session--I broughtmics, a Lunchbox, interface, and computer to the band's rehearsal space and set up. The drums mics are two AKG C414s. Five or six hours in I saw that the band members were smoking, as I guess they habitually do in their space.

I've raised it and they've stopped. My questions are (1) whether a few hours' exposure--at the outside, say maybe a two-dozen cigarettes among five guys--is likely to damage my LDCs noticeably and (2) if so, if there's anything I can do about it short of replacing the mics.
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexac.t View Post
Hi. Reviving this thread. I'm doing a mobile session--I broughtmics, a Lunchbox, interface, and computer to the band's rehearsal space and set up. The drums mics are two AKG C414s. Five or six hours in I saw that the band members were smoking, as I guess they habitually do in their space.

I've raised it and they've stopped. My questions are (1) whether a few hours' exposure--at the outside, say maybe a two-dozen cigarettes among five guys--is likely to damage my LDCs noticeably and (2) if so, if there's anything I can do about it short of replacing the mics.
Any AF condenser mic. will attract smoke particles to the diaphragm.

They can normlly be cleaned, but needs to be done by an expert - not cheap, but a lot cheaper than replacing the capsule.

Oh - and cleaning early will very likely work well. Leaving it too long and the build-up of ginge on the capsule may well result in the metal coating coming off with the cleaning process and therefore a new capsule would then be needed.
Old 5th October 2015
Lives for gear

2 dozen cigarettes? My god, every mic used before 1990 must be damaged.
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
2 dozen cigarettes? My god, every mic used before 1990 must be damaged.
Correct.
Old 5th October 2015
Lives for gear

Still, those people sounded pretty good back then.I suggest owning at least one damaged mic to help out some of the artists I hear nowdays.:lol
Old 5th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMoFo View Post
djwayne,
"'I won't say smoking is good for you, but it does help my nerves, but the war against smoking will most certainly effect you if you smoke. Years ago, it was commonplace, and accepted, today, non-smokers feel they have a God given right to mess with you, and have become very aggressive in their quest. Next week they'll be speaking about the evils of hamburgers, milk, and cookies.'"

I didn't mean any offense to smokers or non smokers alike when i stated my concern for the previous tech. I just found it humorous how badly this manual stank of smoke. So apologies if said remark offed anyone.
Concerning the nerves i totally agree with you as i have often enjoyed a cigar or two after a long day. What ever is supposedly "bad" for you will always tried to be plucked from your hands. Prohibition is a prime example of this and all i can say is thank God that came back around!
I have been to a few venues that didn't allow smoking and it honestly didn't feel the same. The atmosphere didn't settle right for me while trying to enjoy the show. It only made matters less enjoyable that you sometimes can't even sit down with a beer during a concert (the oddball under 18 shows and venues.)

Vices are pleasures, otherwise they wouldn't exist.
Havagudun,
B!
I"ve had a off again, on again relationship with cigarettes, but seeing a buddy of mine, who was a heavy smoker carry a oxygen tank everywhere he goes makes you think about quitting.
L.
Old 5th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
For years I've always heard that smoking around studio equipment can damage the equipment. I've never questioned the issue till now and I've always just kept a smoke free studio. (Well, almost always. heh )

For any that know the technical aspects of how cigarette, cigar, etc., smoke affects studio equipment, I'm interested to know. Have you ever had to have a piece of gear actually repaired or replaced due to smoke or is this just a wives tale that some non-smokers came up with?

Now, I'm aware that smoke stinks!! It gets absorbed into your couch, acoustic treatments, etc but how does it really affect the gear? I'm just dying to know.

Chronic cigarette smoke absolutely creates a film on everything in the environment. One of my buddies parked some gear here for a while. He was a heavy smoker and every time I walked into the room the boxed up gear was in, it smelled heavily of stale cigarette smoke. (I'm an ex-smoker, myself.) Happily, he meticulously kept all his gear in the original boxes when he wasn't using it, so the gear seems generally fine.

Of course, that probably applies to other smoke (the kind only legal in a few US states), as well. I'm sure folks have seen the inside of bongs and pipes. That said, I've seen people use so-called one-hit pipes that seem to minimize the amount of smoke in the air to a large extent, particularly if the smoker is careful to properly size his intake 'hits' so that he doesn't suddenly explode coughing out a room-obscuring cloud of smoke worthy of Big Youth or U-Roy...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search