The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best reference monitors (NOT ns-10s)
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Best reference monitors (NOT ns-10s)

Hey, i'm looking to buy some reference (not main) monitors that AREN'T ns-10s. I don't wanna spend 3 grand JUST to get them to sound useable.

I'd prefer them to be powered but any suggestions would be great, trying to keep it low cost if possible.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Maniac

What are you looking for. Near feild? Do you have a set of lo-fi monitors already? If you already have a set to monitor the full spectrem then you might want to get a set of auratones or aventones or similar (this will give you a clear picture of what will happen in the real world but you will need to have something else to monitor your low end and lower mids)

Let me know what you got already and I'll do my best to help.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

I bought the old passive red Tannoy Reveals a while ago, they did not sound very detailed or flat, so i quickly decided to sell them. But then i changed the amp, and now i like them more than my Genelec 8030s! They are so nice to mix on!

You can find these very cheap. The amp i now use is an old NAD 3020B. I did put foam in the rear ports because the Tannoys are bassy by design and i have them close to a wall, but the bass you hear is the important "radio" bass i think.

This package will cost you very little, and for me they are perfect reference monitors; if my mixes sound good on these i always get a pleasant surprise on hi-fi speakers!
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah nearfields, should of mentioned before.

I've definately considered the avantones, getting 3 and using one for mono.

Any other solutions? I'll look into those tannoys though, any idea what the active ones are like?.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

I've heard that the actives are much brighter, a bit hyped. From what i understand people like the passive betters if thay have the right amp. But the actives are also cheap so they might be worth a try!
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the Yamaha msp5s?

I'm just after monitors to check my mixes on that will translate well. Apparently HS50ms sound sorta like them with the right settings but DONT translate.
Old 22nd June 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGuitarist View Post
Anyone tried the Yamaha msp5s?

I'm just after monitors to check my mixes on that will translate well. Apparently HS50ms sound sorta like them with the right settings but DONT translate.
The MSP5 is an incredible amount of monitor in that price range, I recommend them all the time having used tons of this stuff.

War
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, i'm looking to buy some reference (not main) monitors that AREN'T ns-10s. I don't wanna spend 3 grand JUST to get them to sound useable.

I'd prefer them to be powered but any suggestions would be great, trying to keep it low cost if possible.
Event ASP 8.
These are some clean and very 3D sounding monitors with a great low end
You can find great deals on these used, they sound fantastic. Nice to mix on for days without ear fatigue, my mixes are really thanking me for getting these, very smooth and easy to hear what's goin on. These are non replaceable/upgradeable for what I do. Check'em out.

Steely
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

You should probably look at the Adam ANF10s. Smooth and clean and not particularly pricey.
Old 22nd June 2009
member no 666

The "best" monitor is kept in the same place with the "best" car and the "best" woman... which is next to the storage compartment for the Easter Bunny & Santa two doors down from the facility that houses Rhodan and Mothra.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Well its given me a few things to look at. Are you guys using these as main monitors or refernces? Either way i'm still very interested. I guess im not looking for the "best" but just something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but translates really well.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The "best" monitor is kept in the same place with the "best" car and the "best" woman... which is next to the storage compartment for the Easter Bunny & Santa two doors down from the facility that houses Rhodan and Mothra.
OK, yea Fletch.. the Mothra Facility was "SUPPOSED TO BE" a SECRET....
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
that would explain why there are those twin Japanese fairies sitting on my NS-10s
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Make sure that if you're looking for Avantone Mixcubes(the active ones)that the place you're ordering from actually has them. I call Sweetwater today to order a pair finally and they gave me this big long explanation of how the factory has been backed up with extreme demand and they won't be able to get me out a pair to late summer at the earliest. I'm almost betting it'll be more like mid-fall. I then asked about the passives and the same story, they recommended that I might try Triple P Designs Pyramid speakers. Sorry for the rambling just wanted to let you know in case you were considering the Avantones.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

alrighty has anyone done a shootout between the ANF-10s and the MSP5's?

Any opinions on which would be better? The Adams are twice the price.
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Nut
I've been using Mackie HR824's for the last 2 years. I still dont really like the sound of them.. way too harsh in the upper mids. I have to run an eq before the Mackie's to get a sound that I can work with. I wouldnt recommend the Mackie's at all, though lots of other people seem to like them..

Like the first reply on here I recently got some old red Tannoy reveal passives.. They are a brilliant reference speaker, very Hi-Fi like.. Like the NS-10's but less harsh & much better bass response.
I paid £40 for them.. I'd seriously recommend a set. Good for long listening sessions too.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
alrighty has anyone done a shootout between the ANF-10s and the MSP5's?.
I listened to both before choosing the ANF10s.

It was not a like-with-like comparison, since the Yamahas are active and the Adams not - plus different price bracket, as you say. But for my purposes the Adams were a better choice (less fatiguing, more resolution, more subtle detail). You need to listen for yourself, but I will I haven't regretted going ANF10.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search