The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Interface Recommendations for PC
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Maniac

Interface Recommendations for PC

Okay, I would like some advice on a new interface...
I have searched the forums and researched myself, but I haven't found anything that fits all my requirements yet. Most that look like they would work for me are firewire, and I'm just not sure if that is the best route.
Some info:
I'm on a PC core 2 quad machine with 4 gigs of ram running on Windows XP 64-bit. I need at least s-mux so I could interface my Mytek 8x192 at 88.2. I would like the least amount of latency. Would that mean I would need to do PCI or ? I would also like maybe 8 analog inputs with good/great conversion quality. If it has some pres that would be cool but not an absolute requirement. A good dsp mixer with routing options and the ability to put reverb into headphone mixes would be great. Spdif would be nice in case I wanted to expand more in the future. Stable drivers obviously... I have an E-MU 1820m now, but it doesn't have s-mux. I would like better converters than these on the new interface as I'm definitely a fan of great conversion and wanting to upgrade. Thanks for any help finding the right interface. Does the perfect one for me exist?
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

If I wasn't running PTle I would look seriously at this for home recording.

I don't think it supports adat or s-mux but it has at least 16 i/o.

How many do you need?

Or are you looking for something a little more "high end"?
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Maniac

That does look pretty cool, but s-mux is a must so that I can use my Mytek converters. I definitely want to keep them!
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Maniac

bump
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Anybody else have any recommendations? I would really appreciate the help. The new Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 looks kind of cool, but it is firewire... Anyone used this things yet? I'm not sure how the conversion is... I actually think the conversion card they make for the ISA 428 and 828 sound really good.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Addict

I don't understand your problem, man!? I also own a 1820m, for me it's one of the best soundcards ever made, even in the year 2009! The AD converters are amazing and the abilty to double either the in- or outputs with an additional converter via ADAT makes it a very special peace of gear! I run it with an ALESIS AI3 converter to have 8 additional outputs and I am very happy with the sound! I do not believe in any of those esoteric sound myths!
There is yet another BIG advantage, the timing of MIDI and the synchronisation between large MIDI- and audio-tracks, it works perfect!
Old 24th June 2009
Jai guru deva om

Cory......

............RME

DONE.....

War
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Cory......

............RME

DONE.....

War

RME +1
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen View Post
I don't understand your problem, man!? I also own a 1820m, for me it's one of the best soundcards ever made, even in the year 2009! The AD converters are amazing and the abilty to double either the in- or outputs with an additional converter via ADAT makes it a very special peace of gear! I run it with an ALESIS AI3 converter to have 8 additional outputs and I am very happy with the sound! I do not believe in any of those esoteric sound myths!
There is yet another BIG advantage, the timing of MIDI and the synchronisation between large MIDI- and audio-tracks, it works perfect!

It may sound pretty good, but it is well below the quality of my Mytek. It doesn't have s-mux though... I need this because I want to use my full 8 channels on my Mytek at 88.2 because that is the sample rate I prefer for a lot of projects.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Cory......

............RME

DONE.....

War

Which one War? I need s-mux and I would like spdif too.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Nut

A note of caution: the 1820m is weird mistake from emu in that the conversion chips are excellent. Don't remember the details, but I used to own one. Those geekier than I deemed the chip extremely high end. So you might not hear any change with your new box.

Aside from conversion, its drivers sucked for Win XP, and the interface was like - in my mother's words: a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

-Rob

PS: RME!
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Addict

I took a listen at MYTEKS website! Now I know why the company is called MYTH(EK) !!! I couldn't hear the difference!

There is a comparison between HD192, PSX100 and Mytek ADC

Get the VLC-Player to play the flac format

Go to: http://www.mytekdigital.com/compare/index.htm
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I already did. I could definitely hear the difference between the files on their site. I can hear the difference between the same signal path with just the Mytek and the 1820 rotating on a single track in my studio. There is an even bigger difference when you start stacking tracks. The other conversion doesn't even take eq as well without getting a little gritty. Maybe you can't hear the difference because your conversion isn't up to par or your room or speakers etc...
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Okay, I see the Fireface800 has smux and pretty much everything else I need. I wasn't sure about the firewire aspect though and dealing with latency. Any input on this? Otherwise, that looks like my best bet at this point. Thanks guys!
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Okay, so I still need suggestions... I have the RME Fireface800 in my studio now. I like the way it sounds and the features are great! However, my old card is still beating it in the performance department. I guess because the fireface is firewire and the emu is pci. I was afraid of this. I'm getting more glitches and stutter with the more taxing and intense projects. The Emu was more stable and smoother than this on the same projects. I going to continue to see what I can do with it, but I am more than likely going to have to get something else. The conversion is really nice though, so I would like to go with RME if possible. Is there some PCI based interface out there that also has S-MUX adat capability? (That is an absolute must) I would really appreciate any advice.
Thanks!
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

Dude, doesn't the emu 1212m do smux? Its 150.
Old 5th August 2009
Lives for gear

the emu does work in s/mux but the routing in the headphones change.

RME would get the routing you need

Audio Science Cards would be a step up from RME
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Dude
If I were you.... After I got FF800.... I'll dump the old sound card right away in the next morning and not look back anymore.
Old 5th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Dude, doesn't the emu 1212m do smux? Its 150.
I'm looking for 8 channels of adat operation at 88.2. That unit has 1 adat in/out from what I see. Please correct me if I'm totally missing something. I would LOVE to only have to pay 150. I just don't think it will happen for what I'm looking for. Also, I'm not set on the RME. The RME is nice, but if it can't give me what I need then I have to look elsewhere. Thanks!
Old 9th August 2009
Gear Maniac

bump

Any other suggestions?
Old 9th August 2009
Gear Maniac

I don't see one of those with adat s-mux. Cool suggestion though! I hadn't looked at those before. Keep em' coming. Another question: Would I be able to use my Mytek converter along with the SSL converters? Do they have a pair of adats I could connect my Mytek to? Also, are the SSL converters an interface or is it just a stand alone converter?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search