The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best overhead mics, something comparable to Gefell m300's?
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Best overhead mics, something comparable to Gefell m300's?

Hey guys,
I absolutely loved my pair of Gefell M300's on overheads. Clear, punchy, beautiful natural detail.

Just sold them because i'm trying to cut costs. Can anyone recommend a pair of small diaphragm condensors that would do well in this application?

I'm planning to do a lot of simplified drum micing (a-la recorderman, so bass/snare/two overs) ... anyone recommend trying two different types of mics in that scenario?

I remember there were some beyer mics that people were raving about at one point, but I can't find which ones they were.

I would also love to buy a ribbon like a Royer 121 ... but I can't afford a pair, so I'd have to have one 121, and one cheaper something else.

Would also love to be able to have the mics be useful for recording acoustic guitar as well... multi-purpose is my friend.

Recommendations for positioning, mic types, which mic goes where -- all of that is up for grabs in this thread.

Thanks friends.

Matt
Old 21st June 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

If you are looking for something that would be good (great too!) on overheads and acoustic guitar, you cannot go wrong with a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930s. I think Full Compass has a great price on a stereo pair- you have to call them.

They are also great on hand drums and percussion.

I like them better than my DPA 4011s on acoustic guitar.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

i don't follow you- you sold a pair a fantastic all-around inexpensive mics, to cut costs, and now want to buy something to replace them?
i haven't found anything as good as the 300s for these applications at that price. On the used market they're quite cheap.
Maybe I'm mis-reading something?
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, you are -- I'm trying to replace them with a pair that's half the cost ;-)
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

If you're OK with going omni the Avenson STO-2 pair get a lot of love around here. I'd say the quality of sound they deliver is on a par with the M300s and they're probably more natural sounding actually due to the M300 HF lift. Much noisier but this is hardly a problem on o/h.

The Beyers you ask about are probably the M160 ribbons which also get raved about for o/h duty - I've not tried o/h yet with mine so try a search, but I'm sure liking the ribbon sound enough to be considering ordering another one!

I hope to post some percussion shoot-out WAVs very soon involving all three of these mics!
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

so you sold the charger, and want charger performance for yugo cost.

beyer mc930s are great, not Gefell great, but great. not SDC ,but AT4050s are quite amazing in that they work on pretty much everything. the only Mic I have ever used that will work on "anything"

you are going to regret that sale. I love the 300s.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post

you are going to regret that sale. I love the 300s.
as do i.

so, so sweet.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Please don't hurt my feelings. ;-)
They were the best overs ever. It's just a matter of downsizing... we've all been there. It's a sad thing... but yes, I want Gefell quality at AT price. So much to ask? Ha.
M
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Have you looked into down sizing anything else instead? Cause I gotta tell you man, if I ever had to give up my m300's it would make me sick.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

buy a used pair of Gefell M300s with loads of scratches on em... as long as they're 100% functional!
Old 22nd June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
beyer mc930s are great, not Gefell great, but great.
+1. I personally think the Beyers are a little smoother in the top.
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Addict
In a little shoot out I did at a friends place,a while back, the C451EB sounded closer to the M300 than a KM84. But they definitely didnt sound just like them.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Beyer mc930's are by far the best ldcs under 900 a pair They are slightly smoother and more open than the the gefells 300's

They completely blow away the km184 and noticeably better than josephson 42's and the peluso CEMC6. Unless you have the dough to buy Schoeps or real 84's, Beyers are the best all around value.

I spent months testing ldc's for overheads. The Beyers were the best other than the Schoeps CMC 6 or real km84 83 86 etc..... I rented, borrowed, bought and returned every sdc still in production. Beyer won every shootout for OH's and I tried them all........

Surprisingly the shure ksm137 were much better than mics 3x the price. Though not great for OH's they did sound good. but sounded killer on hat and ride much better than km184. for $200 each you can't go wrong. Not bad at all

Beyers mics rule. Also check out the m160 ribbon for OH's frikkin' killer hi fi retro sound. Also try the m201 on snare. Nothing better than Beyers in that price range for mics that are still in production.

old Gefells are real nice but the new ones although not as bad as new neumann or new akg's the new gefells have lost some mojo too. I would stay away, too overpriced. Better less expensive options are available.

check out sweetwave.com for the best prices on mics
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Beyer mc930's are by far the best ldcs under 900 a pair
Just a little mistake : all these mics are sdcs

JMM

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search