The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?
Old 27th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?

I´m looking for a compressor that really colors the sound and pumps in a good way. Will be using it on drum bus and vocals.
Is this the one to go for?

Attached Thumbnails
Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?-tg1onpage.jpg  
Old 27th April 2003
Oh bla dee oh bla dah, OHHHHHHHHH, the compression goes on.....

Probably!

Old 28th April 2003
member no 666

It is definitely a one to go for... it's a remarkably unique sounding tool. I have found it to add a lovely texture to a lot of different sounds... a texture that will assist a tone to have it's own 'space' within the context of a balance.

Needless to say, there are half a bazillion other units that will also assist you in achieving an interesting texture that may or may not be appropriate for the song.

That said... I have found much of the Chandler stuff to be of assistance in my work... but it does have the potential for 'over use' which can make your job more difficult instead of easier.

Best of luck.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

Fletcher, can you describe the LTD-2 and some of it's uses? The price is really nice on those guys and i was considering a purchase. Thanks.
Old 28th April 2003
Re: Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
I´m looking for a compressor that really colors the sound and pumps in a good way. Will be using it on drum bus and vocals.

How about a Fairchild 670?

Also $3800 for a one trick pony is a little much to take. What will happen is the same thing that happened with the original Joe Meek SC2. You like the sound and so does everyone else and then everyone will abuse it. Then it will become passe and you will stuck with a $3800 effect box that does one thing.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:

In my opinion, in a word, YES!

Great on piano as well...

-John
Old 29th April 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

This is one of the most exciting compressors I've heard on drums and bass. I can't think of anything else to compare it to directly in terms of its sound... it's almost like it's bringing out/generating harmonics? Didn't seem too useful on vocals though... seems to add upper-mid distortion/thinness on female voice - I was just editing on this job, so maybe it was a bit overdone on tracking?

When it works, it sounds fantastic!
Old 29th April 2003
There is only one

i thought it sounded killer on this vox track i tried it on... coulda just been that track, but no other comp could touch it, even various combinations of them. i'd love to have one of these comps... bit too $$$ for me right now.
Old 29th April 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by XHipHop
Fletcher, can you describe the LTD-2 and some of it's uses?
A couple of my favorite uses are things like vocals, bass, 'front of the kit' mic... it's definitely got an attitude about it [in a good way]... brings things right to the front while adding a rather pleasant/musical texture.

As always... YMMV
Old 29th April 2003

Quote:

I don't know if you like Neve compressors at all(hence your name) but Geoff Tanner(the original designer of the 33609) is coming out with a new comp in the fall. I am sure it will be a hit, especially for all of the guys that want a Neve but can't afford it.

It should be pretty interesting.
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
How about a Fairchild 670?

Also $3800 for a one trick pony is a little much to take. What will happen is the same thing that happened with the original Joe Meek SC2. You like the sound and so does everyone else and then everyone will abuse it. Then it will become passe and you will stuck with a $3800 effect box that does one thing.
I don't know if I would completely write this thing off into the 'one trick pony' catagory. Yes, it definitely has a sound, but there are a lot of ways to you use it, subtly and not-so-subtly. And when you hit upon a new application, it is really good! It has ended up on a lot more things than I thought it would. I bought because it immediately sounded like 'Hey Jude' the moment i put it on a piano, but I keep discovering new uses for it. Recently I was mixing something that had acoustic instruments and a bunch of programmed elements. I was having a hard time getting the electronic stuff to sit with the other things, so I bussed it all through the TG and got great results.

Cheers,
John
Old 29th April 2003
Re: Re: Re: Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?

Quote:
Originally posted by paterno
I don't know if I would completely write this thing off into the 'one trick pony' catagory. Yes, it definitely has a sound, but there are a lot of ways to you use it, subtly and not-so-subtly. And when you hit upon a new application, it is really good! It has ended up on a lot more things than I thought it would. I bought because it immediately sounded like 'Hey Jude' the moment i put it on a piano, but I keep discovering new uses for it. Recently I was mixing something that had acoustic instruments and a bunch of programmed elements. I was having a hard time getting the electronic stuff to sit with the other things, so I bussed it all through the TG and got great results.

Cheers,
John
Hey John,

I tried it recently on a project I was mixing and its true there are certain things it works really cool on(I used it actually on a strings buss and bass). But i remember thinking that its sound is not unobtrusive(like Neve comp) but the thing has its own signature sound(and i rarely do any heavy 'spanking"really lite stuff). It reminded me of the first time i heard the Joe Meek SC2 that's all.

The guy i borrowed it from already had used it on every track on a song.

I think he actually put a thank you to Chandler on the credits.heh

I guess time will tell if we hear it on every "new" recording.
Old 29th April 2003
There is only one

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?

Quote:
that wouldnt bother me one bit... i love its signature, lightly or smashed. its definately on my "to own" list, i need other things first right now. but for someone asking for something colorful, i dont think you can get more COLORFUL.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?

Quote:
Hey John,

I tried it recently on a project I was mixing and its true there are certain things it works really cool on(I used it actually on a strings buss and bass). But i remember thinking that its sound is not unobtrusive(like Neve comp) but the thing has its own signature sound(and i rarely do any heavy 'spanking"really lite stuff). It reminded me of the first time i heard the Joe Meek SC2 that's all.

The guy i borrowed it from already had used it on every track on a song.

I think he actually put a thank you to Chandler on the credits.heh

Yeah, I forgot about using it on strings! Bussed a 14 piece section through it once -- I really dug that as well.

I do understand your point, but i just wanted to share a few of my discoveries with the thing, that's all. And to be honest, I think it sounds really cool when you hit it lightly as well...

-John
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?

Quote:
I don't know if you like Neve compressors at all(hence your name) but Geoff Tanner(the original designer of the 33609) is coming out with a new comp in the fall.
I'm guessing this hasn't been released yet? Geoff=Aurora/Phoenix Audio products doesn't he.
Old 6th May 2003
Re: Re: Re: Chandler TG1. Is this the most colorful compressor?

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
I'm guessing this hasn't been released yet? Geoff=Aurora/Phoenix Audio products doesn't he.
Geoff said in the fall.

Probably for the AES.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search