The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Top plug-in for guitar EQ
Old 21st June 2009
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
Yo "Holmes" that's about the most normal common question around here... "Hey, what do you guys like to use for EQ on guitar". Seems pretty straight forward to me. If you jump on THAT question every single thread must make you upset.

A preview of the future:

"What kind of compression do you like on vocals"... (and you say) "Are you kidding me this question is not for serious. You can compress a vocal with what ever is named compressor".

"What plugins do you like on two bus?" (and you say) "Are you kidding me this question is not for serious. You can process a two buss with whatever is named plugin".

"What mic do you like on male vocals for under 500 dollars" (and you say) "Are you kidding me this question is not for serious. You can record a vocal with anything named microphone".
Come on you know what mean.

Use what ever works for you....thats what I am saying all the time.
How can someone know what works for him by talking about it??

And again please STOP calling me an IDIOT China-Man.
You know it is wrong and against the board rules.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
really like the simple api 550a
I like the 550a emulation on the Liquid Mix, which I always use on bass, also. I also like the UAD Helios 69 emulation for guitars, and is great on drums, too.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
And again please STOP calling me an IDIOT China-Man.
You know it is wrong and against the board rules.
racist tutt
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

The Abbey Road stuff is great but way too limited. The 8k is pretty sweet as far as plug-ins go.

Been casually messing about with the URS EQ's and found the Neve emulation to be most usable. Will put it through its paces on Monday as I have a pretty dense mix coming in.
Old 21st June 2009
can you guys behave like adults? thank you.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
really like the simple api 550a
Agree 100% here. Love this EQ.
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear
Are you guys talking about Waves version or URS?
Thanks
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Addict

AFTER reading this tread i changed from ssl to api. and i will stay there.

nice info here
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

i am not real sure which is my fav. the filterbank is defenately a nice plug to my ears. eq wise i like the good old boxes, i guess i like phase shifting more compared to surgery. i enjoy the eq on the dakings, they are kinda nice but not a plug.

any phaseshifting plug eqs out there ?
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

I have yet to hear a software only plugin that sounds acceptable on gtrs. The oxford is ok. software plugs are only good for cutting if anything. Hardware rules for gtr. boost 3k on gtr with a hardware 550 then do it with a plugin and it's laughable
the plugin is so bad. So fake and shrill.

Even a hw speck eq is better than any plugin. some of the UAD stuff isn't terrible though
though I sold the card with 2 weeks since I found the eq's very thin and sterile compared to Hardware.

Plugin Eq's? someday ... maybe
Old 23rd June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
I have yet to hear a software only plugin that sounds acceptable on gtrs. The oxford is ok. software plugs are only good for cutting if anything. Hardware rules for gtr. boost 3k on gtr with a hardware 550 then do it with a plugin and it's laughable
the plugin is so bad. So fake and shrill.

Even a hw speck eq is better than any plugin. some of the UAD stuff isn't terrible though
though I sold the card with 2 weeks since I found the eq's very thin and sterile compared to Hardware.

Plugin Eq's? someday ... maybe
I am quite happy. altough I like API analogue. but the URS stuff works ok.
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Waves SSL EQ
The most responsive, yet transparent EQ i have ever tried.
Works great on guitars.
Hell it works great on everything...
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
Waves SSL EQ
The most responsive, yet transparent EQ i have ever tried.
Works great on guitars.
Hell it works great on everything...
i feel that way about the oxford eq. i usually will do the surgical stuff with the oxford and depending on how much post eq and type of vib;, the ssl channel, api 550, or pultec get strapped on right before the compressor(usually an 1176).
sometimes just for vibe, i'll drop a 1073/1081 either in place of or right after the oxford for a little more vibe and beef in the mids. all depends on the track and song, but that is how i like to treat my own personal guitars.

rich
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
i feel that way about the oxford eq. i usually will do the surgical stuff with the oxford and depending on how much post eq and type of vib;, the ssl channel, api 550, or pultec get strapped on right before the compressor(usually an 1176).
sometimes just for vibe, i'll drop a 1073/1081 either in place of or right after the oxford for a little more vibe and beef in the mids. all depends on the track and song, but that is how i like to treat my own personal guitars.

rich
Yeah but have you tried the SSL EQ (not the channel)?
It's much more responsive than the E-Channel's EQ.
Usually, a lot of engineers prefer to use it after the E Channel to give them the specific color they're searching for.

I personally find it great.
It worked for me .
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Addict

i normally use the oxford eq to do any surgical cuts and then use the Uad 1073 or pultec for any boosts; or when its around a REAL API 550b is GREAT
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
Yeah but have you tried the SSL EQ (not the channel)?
It's much more responsive than the E-Channel's EQ.
Usually, a lot of engineers prefer to use it after the E Channel to give them the specific color they're searching for.

I personally find it great.
It worked for me .
yup, both the waves and urs versions. i like them alot, more so on vocals.

rich
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
i normally use the oxford eq to do any surgical cuts and then use the Uad 1073 or pultec for any boosts; or when its around a REAL API 550b is GREAT
rich

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search