The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What sites do you scan when looking for equipment?
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Nut

try www.proaudiomarketplace.com . It costs $25 per year, but it has an exhaustive list of classified ads each month from industry liquidators, studios, businesses, etc. Great site with tons 'o gear.
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Maniac

These guys aren't too shabby either www.prodigy-pro.com
Old 30th April 2003
Old 30th April 2003
Mindreader

<< trying to work out deeper meaning of that quote
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
<< trying to work out deeper meaning of that quote
Don't try too hard...
It's from a news article I read about a chicken farmer. Upon discovering that several hundred of his chickens were infected with a disease that made them unusable for further egg laying duties (or any other food related uses), he decided to dispose of them by hurling them into a wood chipper while still alive. The quote is from the Senior Vice President of the Humane Society of the United States. The farmer is facing criminal charges.

What a world huh?

- jon
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

Also Harmony Central Classifieds.

Fabulous thread!
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

www.musictoyz.com
Old 1st May 2003
Mindreader

urgh, gross
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

Care to elaborate?
Old 2nd May 2003
Mindreader

the chicken
Old 2nd May 2003
Gear Head

Not mentioned, but great place, if you are in LA,
music.recycler.com

Scored a few good gear for cheap (Presonus MP20 $200, AKG C28 $900, Peavey VMP2 $400) A few more I can't think of,
they go really fast if its a good deal.

Moko
Old 4th May 2003
Mindreader

ok, has anyone got any last minute additions to this list before I start writing this search engine thing..
Old 5th May 2003
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Yo Bev... How's this search engine thing going? I'm chomping at the bit here!
Old 14th May 2003
Mindreader

lol

I know this was an interesting thread but didn't realise that the software itself was causing that much interest.

I've got it to this stage:

You type in a keywords(s) and it opens up every forum's Classified section and every web page that's been posted here into seperate tabs in Safari. Then you can tab along looking at each one without having to type in the search each time because you're already at the relevant searched items page of each one.

So that's pretty cool, but I wrote it in Applescript.

I'm now taking that one stage further (with help from another programmer friend) to write it in RealBasic, which means I'll end up with an app that runs on Macs and Windows.

Also, this final version should include the search in the application itself, with a scrollable list which on clicking a link opens into your favourite browswer.

The biggest problem I'm having at the moment is trying to query MySQL servers with the search. This forum were on now run by V Bulletin is such a server. It 'hides' the way it searches its database so that it isn't 'spidered' by all the other search engines out there. If you type a search in Google for instance you don't get pages from Forums. That's because they are 'hidden' from the spiders. Good thing too, 'cos it would really low things down.

Also, to access these forums you actually need to be a registered user. I'm trying to work out if I can create a 'default' user for all the forums which logs you in to get the relevant data even if you don't have an account.

And then this brought up the idea of a 'forum manager' which like getting emails from Gearslutz telling you that you have an 'answered thread' could actually keep logs of ALL the forums you belong to, and also make it easier to join them.

So, this little project.....became grandiose.

I'm working with my friend on it, another person who really has better things to do but likes a challenge.

So, even though the links on this page are useful, any encouragement received with thanks for the software.

And if there are any more links keep them coming. I am DESPERATE for more European links. Who knows what crazy gear is hiding in Russia???
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Bev, keep on the good work !

try this :

http://www.thomaokaze.be/

cheers

malice
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Maniac

no idea if those have already been mentioned, but here are some links from germany :

http://www.akzent-audio.de/
http://www.megaaudio.de/aktuell/frame_akt.html
http://www.schmitronic.de/
http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/german/
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

You're awesome, Bev. What a great idea. Personally I'd be happy with just the basic item search function, although the forum manager thing does sound useful. RE the forum membership thing, maybe you can just create a membership on each of the forums that essentially belongs to the app. I don't know if that would cause a problem with 2 people logging in at the same time under the same membership, though.
Or is that what you meant by a default membership?

Well I'd love to check this thing out, although I don't have Safari, I'm not up to OSX yet but I'm thinking of installing it on my wife's i-Book.
Think of me as potential beta-monkey!
Old 14th May 2003
Mindreader

I've never been called awesome before. Many other things, but not awesome.

It's not made yet. Don't get too excited.

Yes that is what I meant by default membership. And no I'm not sure if it will let two people login with the same user name.

Don't encourage me too much. I might create a Gearslutz Star Trek game.
Old 2nd June 2003
Lives for gear

anymore progress?
Old 2nd June 2003
Mindreader

waylayed by real work
don't worry
it'll come
Old 2nd June 2003
Gear Head

don't forget
www.musik-produktiv.de

good things happening here!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search