The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any Studios using mostly electronic drum kits
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

YouTube - DRUMS

You have the room and budget -- love live. But, most of our clients are solo/duo song writers --- you make as much from a soloist > as you do a full 5 piece band ... We quit tracking the full on rock bands ~~ back in the 80's ...Way too much work, for the return.
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Good points, Guitarmax. I think the Nir Z video I posted earlier shows the nuances have really come a long way though. Getting darn close and maybe close enough for me.
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanddu View Post
What proved to me how far electronic drums have come sound-wise and feel-wise was Nir Z playing through Superior Drummer 2.0: YouTube - Superior Drummer 2.0 - NAMM 08 Demo PART1

Anyone else find this video convincing?
yeah it's pretty nice!
Old 21st May 2010
Gear Nut

hihat trigger issue, SD2

Hey guys,

I have a Pintech RHC-100 and a Smartrigger Hihat, running Superior Drummer 2.

Is it possible to trigger open 1, open 2 and open 3 with various step down levels on the RHC?

My drummer friend just tracked a song that he'd usually play the real hh very slightly open. But the samples triggered were fully opened.

Is this off topic?
Should I start a new thread?
Old 21st May 2010
Gear Addict
i've been really thinking of getting some electronic drums lately, i usually trigger them via a midi keyboard but I figured it would also be beneficial to learn how to play also. and why isn't anyone mentioning Addictive Drums? is Steven Slate etc that much better sounding or is this just based on preference?
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
YouTube - DRUMS

You have the room and budget -- love live. But, most of our clients are solo/duo song writers --- you make as much from a soloist > as you do a full 5 piece band ... We quit tracking the full on rock bands ~~ back in the 80's ...Way too much work, for the return.
There's been already done so much to cheapen the music, why do you want to make it even worse? 99% of today's music sound like crap, and this is exactly why we see that people are not buying music anymore.
When you are trying to do something cheap- you ending up either with a horrible product, or a lot more money spent, I really like to quote Motown's Bob Ohlsson here

"The cheapest way to make a great record is hiring great players.
The cheapest way to record great players is all at once in a real studio with a real console and a real engineer and producer.
That’s exactly why it was done that way in the 1920s-’60s.
The way the Beatles ended up making records is very expensive.
The only thing that’s gotten lots cheaper is making records the way the Beatles did.
Hello?"
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Khan View Post
i've been really thinking of getting some electronic drums lately, i usually trigger them via a midi keyboard but I figured it would also be beneficial to learn how to play also. and why isn't anyone mentioning Addictive Drums? is Steven Slate etc that much better sounding or is this just based on preference?
You can't learn to play real drums with an electronic kit, the feel is way different, and the playing options are too
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darm View Post
You can't learn to play real drums with an electronic kit, the feel is way different, and the playing options are too
You just have to adapt --- I use rubber-tip sticks ... tweak the samples and each drum pad on a different channel for mixing -- started playing drums in 65 -- and electronic in the 90's> it takes practice ~~ especially on the TRAP KAT -- your pads are so close........

The timing for rolling from snare to all four toms on a traditional kit is so different >>> when the electronic drums are 1/32 in. apart and the pad is barely 6 inches wide ....you do a lot less physical work, not to mention the years you save on damage /stress to your hearingheh

The big draw back of the ROland kits -- not as many pads at time --- very limiting on stage ... Where the Trap Kat has 24 plus hat/kick
this show was a JS5 Roland drum machine for sounds YouTube - STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN II

this is the ALesis DM5 YouTube - HENDRIXs Purple Haze MSQ
Old 22nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darm View Post
There's been already done so much to cheapen the music, why do you want to make it even worse? 99% of today's music sound like crap, and this is exactly why we see that people are not buying music anymore.
When you are trying to do something cheap- you ending up either with a horrible product, or a lot more money spent, "
Tell my clients that - I give them the option. It's not a drum machine or chopped loops ...we track live with the artist. Although I find it hard to tell the difference from a well-mic'd kit or a electronic set : to a sampler, if I mix with our setup >

On a simple demo of a singer~song writer... the strings/horns/piano/etc and mostly the bass >> is tracked / sequenced to a midi sampler, and has been for the past 20 years, in our studios.....

AS PER : today's new music Most of our clients are past 50 and only know the 60's style of writing/performing ....surely rarely listen to their grand kids music ``` let alone would understand the newer computer software writing. We don't even have a PC/MAc in any of our studios to take part
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples View Post
Actually, if you listen to Bobby playing an acoustic kit - he sounds just like that.

Halford Music - Official Metal God Music Store CDs DVDs DigiPaks and MP3 Downloads

The point is, using software will never be 100% the same as an acoustic kit... but may sound a lot better than most folks will be able to record at home or in a sub-par studio.

Some more examples:

Rail
thanks for trying to help me
i think the problem is that the room shakes different with the whole kit and the single instrument hit. so do many mmany sampels with this involved, snare tom ,snare cymbal 1 ond so on...

i think that its a problem with the cymbals
when i listen to lamb of gog redneck, for example, there are other thing going on with the cymbals, espacially ride, i´m picky, i know, but it´s important imo
i really think it would be cool to have nebula irs of the rooms, so to use real cymbals and bring them in
think about this, maybe it will get you rich, if when cheers

but you´re right, the sound is great
and its midi editing, its very very important
to me its like 90% there
you did good work
peace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search