The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I need your experience with these mics.
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

I need your experience with these mics.

So I recently acquired a little extra money that I have decided to invest in my mic locker. Here is my issue, I have a couple mic's that are good but not great on everything. What i'm really looking for is a solid vocal mic. I have about 1200 (USD). I've done some research and these are the possibilities that i've came up with.

1) Mojave Ma-200

2) Sterling Audio ST77 and a UA610 Solo Mic pre

3) Chameleon Labs TS-2

4) AKG C 414 B XLS

5) AT4050

6) (2) AT4040 - So I could use them as Drum overheads too??

7) KSM 44

8) SM7b

I've used the KSM44, AT4050, TS-2, Sm7b, and the 6176 Pre/Compressor before but haven't had experience with the other mics. Anyone use these other mics for vocals before and had luck. As of right now, the business that has been coming in is has been screaming rock vocals. I want a mic that can compiment that type of vocal nicely and still handle a male rock singing voice too.

Thank you for your insight!
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Everyone will tell you to get the SM7b, but im highly recommending the MA-200, it's awesome. You'll get a thousand different opinions, and in the end it will just be something you need to take a chance on, I took a chance on the MA-200 and wouldn't give it back. Has a great tube sound and detail.
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

lol ya i've used the SM7b before and I like it a lot but, I also used the TS-2 for screaming and i really liked the way the tube saturated. I really heard nice things about the MA-200 and that was the mic that most interested me.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Addict

I have a pair of AT 4040s and dig them for vocals + all around. I want to upgrade and get the 4050s so I have more patterns. They are really a great deal -- not expensive enough to be slutty so I think people will poo-poo them. I think the 4040 is even better than the 4050 for some applications.

As far as screamy rock things and other vocal things I think you will be happy with an SM7b -- just ordered one from War at Zen Pro Audio.

You could get a 4050 and a SM7b and still be under budget.

Or, since you mentioned a mic pre -- hmm -- for slightly under 1200 you could get

SM7b
AT4040
Daking Mic Pre One
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Get a used Neumann Gefell MV690, MV691 or MV692 body with a UM70 or M71 head.
This will give you the Neumann M7 sound.

UM70 => switchable polar patterns
M71 => cardioid only

$1000 should do here, and you're set for all vocal applications and then some.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepwise Sound View Post
You could get a 4050 and a SM7b and still be under budget.

Or, since you mentioned a mic pre -- hmm -- for slightly under 1200 you could get

SM7b
AT4040
Daking Mic Pre One
My thoughts exactly!
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have an ST77 that I have used a couple of times and I like it, it's not a U67 but it works well at it's price point.
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

What about the Chameleon Labs TS-2? anyone else played around with these? they are heavy as crap but from my experience they sound good. They also have a rotary fader on the power supply that allows you to "drive" the pre hotter if you so choose. This could sound cool on screams??

I could do that and save a little more money and get a nice pre like the daking or UA610. Think that would be worth my while?
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Addict

we need more info -- what are you using as a preamp right now?
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

nothing good, i have a Digi003 and PreSonus DigiMax FS. So it is my opinion that I need at least one solid channel.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militiamatt View Post
So I recently acquired a little extra money that I have decided to invest in my mic locker. Here is my issue, I have a couple mic's that are good but not great on everything. What i'm really looking for is a solid vocal mic. I have about 1200 (USD). I've done some research and these are the possibilities that i've came up with.

1) Mojave Ma-200

2) Sterling Audio ST77 and a UA610 Solo Mic pre

3) Chameleon Labs TS-2

4) AKG C 414 B XLS

5) AT4050

6) (2) AT4040 - So I could use them as Drum overheads too??

7) KSM 44

8) SM7b

I've used the KSM44, AT4050, TS-2, Sm7b, and the 6176 Pre/Compressor before but haven't had experience with the other mics. Anyone use these other mics for vocals before and had luck. As of right now, the business that has been coming in is has been screaming rock vocals. I want a mic that can compiment that type of vocal nicely and still handle a male rock singing voice too.

Thank you for your insight!
I think for rock vocals you should try at least the SM7b and 4050. I just bought a pair of C414's and based on a week's experience I'd say those will be very useful to me as multi-purpose mics. Those could be used as OH's too, but I'm not so sure if they'd be particularly "great" (as in better than the rest) on rock vocals.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

4050, 4050, 4050..

versatility city!
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
nothing good, i have a Digi003 and PreSonus DigiMax FS. So it is my opinion that I need at least one solid channel.
Send your 003 to Black Lion for the mod and you'll have 8 solid channels. Then the mics will define the sound without the A/D getting in the way. If you start out with pristine sound, you can always ruin it later with plugins.
Old 20th June 2009
Here for the gear

See i considered doing that and getting their signature series upgrade. Buuuut, my teacher said something that made some sense to me. In "x" amount of years a 003 will be equivalent to a 001 that isn't supported anymore. From an investment stand point a microphone will be a life long investment. And for a guy who does not have a high income, I don't want my investment to be worthless one day. I feel like a smarter decision for me would be to get a nice microphone now, and then save up and get get like a Rosetta 800 or one of the Lynx machines down the road.

but then again maybe i'm worng. I really don't know. lol
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
Everyone will tell you to get the SM7b, but im highly recommending the MA-200, it's awesome. You'll get a thousand different opinions, and in the end it will just be something you need to take a chance on, I took a chance on the MA-200 and wouldn't give it back. Has a great tube sound and detail.
i absolutely love this mic. it is the most expensive mic in my collection. it is by far, my main vocal mic. it just makes vocals huge and rich while giving it air. the sound is expensive sounding through a nice preamp(i prefer the chameleon labs 7622 with it out of the ones i own). it was a beautifull day when this mic arrived in the mail.

i feel if you can find a used ma-200 and a sm7b, you'd be set for some killer vocal sessions.

rich
Old 20th June 2009
Quote:
See i considered doing that and getting their signature series upgrade. Buuuut, my teacher said something that made some sense to me. In "x" amount of years a 003 will be equivalent to a 001 that isn't supported anymore. From an investment stand point a microphone will be a life long investment. And for a guy who does not have a high income, I don't want my investment to be worthless one day. I feel like a smarter decision for me would be to get a nice microphone now, and then save up and get get like a Rosetta 800 or one of the Lynx machines down the road.

but then again maybe i'm worng. I really don't know. lol
I'd say that's pretty wise - any type of digital stuff tends to lose value pretty rapidly these days, whereas mics don't unless they're utter junk.

Right now I'm putting nearly all my money into various sorts of analog - a lot of analog gear has bottomed out price wise and will only appreciate in the future. My digital rig is servicable but not state of the art - 24 channels of Layla 24/96 and a wordclock - but it doesn't really make any sense to pour money into current model stuff that is only a margainal improvement and will lose value rapidly. My next hardware purchase is going to be a 2 track mixdown/mastering deck that I'm picking up for $200 - as long as I keep it maintain it won't likely ever be worth less than I'm paying for it.

I have a decent collection of mics I've picked up over the years and every time I check prices they're worth more.......

It's the same with outboard - as long as you don't buy it new it doesn't usually depreciate - If you do buy it new it will lose value at first but then gradu8ally start regaining it if you hang on to it long enough....
Old 25th June 2009
Quote:

but then again maybe i'm worng[sic]. I really don't know. lol
I think that's some of the best advice I've read for getting started in recording.
Old 25th June 2009
Here for the gear

For now I ended up going with the SM7b, AT4050, and I got a really good deal on the Blue Robbie mic pre.

Thanx for all the advice everyone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search