The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wow...another low for EQ Mag....
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Wow...another low for EQ Mag....

Maybe this has been going on for awhile and I never noticed...maybe it's always been this way and I've been too lazy to actually "read".

However, when I opened up this months EQ (the one with bruce swedien on the cover) I was amazed....stunned actually....page 57 has an add for "Footwear for men" and on page 69 an add for Crown Royal!!!

Have I been mistaken all these years, or is EQ a recording magazine? Isn't all the money they get in advertising for good reviews on gear enough for them? Do they need alcoholic beverage companies and trendy shoe stores to pay the bills now?

HA it's halarious!

I'm in no way offended by these adds (well maybe the shoe ones...at least crown is a staple in my studio) but I'm a little surprised that EQ would do this....

Thoughts?
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

PBR advertises in TapeOp.

Ads are ads. Footwear is a little offensive, though.
Old 16th August 2005
w2w
Lives for gear

EQ has sucked for the last few years,nothing at all like it used to be.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Guru

I think its a positive step. If all the ads were for booze, maybe you could actually trust the reviews.

Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
I think its a positive step. If all the ads were for booze, maybe you could actually trust the reviews.

Touche!
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq

or become and alcoholic.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

tew late

glub glub
Old 16th August 2005

don't you wear shoes and drink booze? Well maybe not while you're working, but I enjoy the comfort of a good shoe and a tasty beverage..
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Ad revenue. It's what's for dinner.

I don't recall Playboy just hustling condoms and lengerie.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2w
EQ has sucked for the last few years,nothing at all like it used to be.
Yep, stopped buying it when I discovered Gearslutz.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I have written a few reviews for EQ. I was not instructed to do anything but review a couple of pieces of equipment. One of the pieces is by a manufacturer that advertizes a LOT in that magazine, and a couple are not. I dont always write good reviews. I normally try and pick things I like, or I am interested in trying anyway, so a bunch of my reviews come out positive. I could not give less of a **** about advertizing, as I have ranted in other forums about how it is propaganda, and we are seeing the hegemony NOW in the things people do and say and want for home studios and all kinds of myths being perpetuated, and new ones borne, just so they can sell you a "solution" to a "problem" that was made up.... anyway, I think EQ is on the comeback trail with Eugene as the new editor in chief anyway.

Just my experience, and opinion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search