The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Altiverb vs SIR
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Altiverb vs SIR

Hi

Can somebody who is using both of them comment on the quality of these engines and their impulses?

Are atliverb and sir on the same level ?

Thanks
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

nobody?
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass man View Post
nobody?
I do not know the SIR Reverb by Mr. Knufinke.
He did a great Hybrid-Reverb WizooW2 in the past and this was bought by Digi and gone away form the market.

I use Altiverb a lot because of its massive free IRs library you get with it and later after you bought it too.... tons of free high professional IRs.

May you will wait a few weeks?
SSL announced a Plug In for the Duende DSP Platform and argue that it sounds as good as high end hardware reverb.

As we all know that SSL is listening to the users I would wait.

We know from the real HW that it can be done why not on a powerful DSP system... wait... if you are into more realistic spaces I highly advise you to buy Altiverb.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Well my question was more like :
Since i have the SIR ( and bunch of impulses for it ) and all kind of different reverb plug ins am i going to get any better results ITB from any other convolution engine like Altiverb or maybe even DSP TC's VSS3 before i get some hardware reverbs ?
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

anybody else ?
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have SIR and a large selection of impulses for it. The latency could be a problem if you need it for tracking but I never use effects while tracking.

Suffice to say I have never felt a need to invest in another convolution program. If the impulses are good then you are good. I have purchased a few non convo verb's and they have their place on some things as well.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well my question was more like :
Since i have the SIR ( and bunch of impulses for it ) and all kind of different reverb plug ins am i going to get any better results ITB from any other convolution engine like Altiverb or maybe even DSP TC's VSS3 before i get some hardware reverbs ?
I guess no I have Altiverb and Space Designer of Logic and when both have the same IRs loaded it is the same.

I just love Altiverb for the massive collection of IRs and for it´s ER Gain knob.

I guess the SSL reverb will be worth a try and maybe worth to buy a duende.
We will see.

Andreas
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

apparently there is a new version of aries verb coming out that
is low resource useage. aries is a free verb.
or was last time i checked.
might be worth checking out.
AriesCode Home
there are also various verbs in the daws i use.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Nut

There are differences between Altiverb and SIR2. However, they are not applying to sound quality.

SIR2 is an excellent convolution reverb with many great features. Altiverb too is a great convolver. Especially its browsing capabilities are excellent.

Sound Wise, both convolution reverbs are great.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticas View Post
There are differences between Altiverb and SIR2. However, they are not applying to sound quality.

SIR2 is an excellent convolution reverb with many great features. Altiverb too is a great convolver. Especially its browsing capabilities are excellent.

Sound Wise, both convolution reverbs are great.

And is there any difference between SIR 1 and SIR 2 ?
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
That, I'm afraid, I dont know. We "only" have SIR2.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticas View Post
That, I'm afraid, I dont know. We "only" have SIR2.

Its great to have you here and be able to ask you couple of questions :

Can i use your impulses with SIR 1 or only with Altiverb ?
I am currently downloading your free bricasti impulses so can i use these with SIR 1 ?

Thanks
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
here SIR: SIR2 are the differences between SIR1 and SIR2
Old 18th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Are Altiverb and Sir on the same level?
I'm into acoustic and classical recording, so for me "natural sounding" is the main demand as far as reverbs and all I've ever heard from Sir didn't sound natural at all. I've been using Altiverb though for at least 5 years now and most of it's raw IRs actually do have nasty standing waves etc. but it comes with an elaborate editor, which gives you the perfect tools to tweak them into something totally natural. You only need the patience and the ears for that.

Last edited by aidavdbrake; 18th July 2015 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: forgot a comma ;)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search