The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tube Amps
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Nut

Tube Amps

I just purchased my first tube amp, a 15watt Fender Blues Jr for recording. And from the little I know about tube amps it seems the louder you push them the better they sound. My problem is I live in an appartment. I have a vocal booth that I can put small amps in for tracking, but this fender gets to loud! So the question... Would I get a better sound using a 10watt, being able to push the amp further. Or the15watt say mid to low volume? Also the 15 watt has a master and a volume control (So I can max out the volume and keep the master low to overdrive it, but I don't know it its the same effect as pushing the whole amp.)
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, I have a similar problem with tracking late at night. I've been wanting to try this box:

http://www.mercenary.com/pga04addimop.html
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Try this:

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.poww...r/minimass.htm

...works very well, has an actual speaker motor in it so it reacts like a speaker...you can pull the volume down quite a bit and it will still sound like a roaring amp on the recording.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Gordon,

In theory yes, however from a perception stand point there is really not much of a volume difference between 5watts and 15watts...and the speaker size will make much more of a difference. bigger/more = louder...

I strongly recommend reading this website: www.amptone.com especially the info on low watt amps.

Also the thing you really want (IMO) is a low watt amp with a tube rectifier! very important....very hard to find...

I run a hand made point-to-point 1.5watt with tube rect. into a 12" Celestial Blue and it really only has three levels 1:low like a radio/t.v, 2:louder like a loud piano, 3:loud like a drum kit.

Old 16th August 2005
Gear Nut
Hi Gordon
I to had the same problem as you and bought the fender and found it too loud and returned it and tried many other small amps and found them to sound boxy. What Nerve said is correct. 5 watt can be load in a bedroom. You can get a 1/2 watt amp, but I think it’s important to get a large speaker cabinet and a 12 inch speaker. I ended up buying a 6 watt amp from England called a Cornford Harlequin " http://www.cornfordamps.com/launch.html "and boy does this amp sound sweet, you can hear samples on there web site and the amps really do sound like there samples. There a bit pricey but worth every cent, sometimes I see them on eBay.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Nut

Well i just had a few hours to play with this rig.
First off, I'm running a pod xt in front for more modern destortions. I cranked the amp and lowerd the output on the pod (as a volume control) just to see what the diff would be when the amps full out, and it was huge. Obviously the signal to noise sucked, but the guitar sound was awsome.
So im thinking this Conford Harlequin might be a good answer. In theory I could crank the amp and keep the pods output normal so as to eliminate the signal to noise problem and get all the benifits or a cranked tube amp with a large speaker?? ... does this make sence, or will the tone not compare to the fender blues. Sorry if these are dumb questions but I have nill experience with tube amps.
Old 16th August 2005
One with big hooves

Geetar amps are Geetar amps. When you run something like a POD straight into a guitar amp you're piling one gain stage on top of another which will generate LOTS of noise.

The real fun of a tube amp is running it wide open so the power tubes are being pushed hard, so in turn the amp is really loud. The only way to get around it and bring the SPL down to a more manageable level is with a power attenuator like a THD Hot Plate or a Marshall Power Break. In a nutshell, it's a passive box filled with resistors and a volume control that goes between the speaker output and the speaker.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Addict

Get an attenuator, like the one mentioned above or a THD Hotplate.

The other option is to get a very low-wattage amp, <5 watts. Nanohead, Songworks, and Emery Sound come to mind.

If you have the $, I believe Palmer is coming back out with the PDI-03.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Nut
That s a coincident, I also had a pod, but after I got the Cornford amp the pod is collecting dust on the shelf, I can record it at low volume now with beautiful distortion.
Gordon did you listen to the Harlequin on the Cornford site?
Also the pod make weird noises.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by luap
Gordon did you listen to the Harlequin on the Cornford site?
Yeah I checked it out, I liked some of the lead tones, but I didn't like the ABCD example they had, and they don't have any more crunchy chord examples. It would have been nice to hear the amp by its self. I'm looking into the THD Hot Plate, seems like it might be a better fix seeing how I already own and like the tone of the Fender. We'll see, thanks for the advice.

Oh yeah and the POD does make some weird noises, I thought maybe it was picking up some radio frequencies along the way, maybe they all do that.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

+1 on the Hotplate. 50 watt Hiwatt DR504 (the Neve of guitar amps) cranked nto Hotplate into THD 2x12. Singing sustain and feedback at boombox volume levels. thumbsup
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10
I just purchased my first tube amp, a 15watt Fender Blues Jr for recording....
I thought we had a little talk.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search