Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
...perhaps asking too much!

Here is the list of things I'd like to track,

- Wurlitzer 200a
- Electric guitar through Fender champ
- Acoustic guitar
- Male vocals
- Female vocals
- Various percussive samples (anything from ratchets to snare drum).

Room is in nice shape, with adequate acoustics. Thoughts? Is there something that can work with all of these sources? Price preferably under $2000.
... probably a U87, but it will never sound fabulous on any of those sources. It will always sound adequate.

Maybe a combination of a couple different mics would be the ideal situation here... For $2k? Maybe a Peluso 47 LE and an RE20, or something similar.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

AKG 414 is the swiss army mic. I use the EB model on every session I do somewhere (usually two or three). I know some people complain about the newer ones (don't have much experience with them). Much like Tony's recomendation it will work on almost everything, but won't be the best.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

My pick (within my budget) is AT 4050. I have a pair and use them a lot on those types of sources...

Lou
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post

Maybe a combination of a couple different mics would be the ideal situation here... For $2k? Maybe a Peluso 47 LE and an RE20, or something similar.
This is exactly the right thing to do.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
... probably a U87, but it will never sound fabulous on any of those sources. It will always sound adequate.

that's good advice and similar to what i did. get a versatile dynamic (which should be relatively cheap) like a sm7 or re20 and then get a versatile large diaphragm condenser.
something like a beyer m160 is really nice as well.

another route would be to snag something like a gefell umt 70 and then get a m160 and a re20. you could probably do a decent job covering your sources with that combo and it would be just over 2 grand.
Old 17th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
...perhaps asking too much!

Here is the list of things I'd like to track,

- Wurlitzer 200a
- Electric guitar through Fender champ
- Acoustic guitar
- Male vocals
- Female vocals
- Various percussive samples (anything from ratchets to snare drum).

Room is in nice shape, with adequate acoustics. Thoughts? Is there something that can work with all of these sources? Price preferably under $2000.
You need 2 mics - a U-87 and an SM57. Also probably a good DI box for the Wurlie - Countryman Type 85.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

a Gefell UMT70S and a SM57 and you're covered in your budget. the Gefell may also be the older (out of production) UM70 wich is slightly nicer than the actual version but the difference isn't that big.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

I agree with those who said to spend the money on two or three good mics. A variety of good mics will be more useful than one expensive one.

The Audio-Technica 40xx series is a super value. For example, I love the AT-4050. It's very versatile. Another favorite of many folks is the Shure SM-7B. You could buy those two mics and still have more than $1000 left over for a more expensive mic, like maybe the Mojave MA-200.
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

at4050

Gefell umt70s
Old 18th June 2009
I think the correct answer is "Mojave 200," although I have never used it or even seen one in real life.
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

The KSM44 is a very good general-purpose LDC for the money. It would leave you money left over for another mic or two as well...

-synthoid
Old 18th June 2009
+1 on KSM 44 - this is the most underestimated mic around here - and a great mic for a great price. Add some modded Oktavas ( a pair of MK 012?) and a dynamic mic like RE20 or SM7b and You are covered on many many grounds.

Good luck
Marty
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

under 2000, go for something like shure sm7b + shure sm57 + a pair of at4050 3 workhorse that sound great on about anything.
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I think the correct answer is "Mojave 200," although I have never used it or even seen one in real life.

hey, you are just like 99% of the posters that post with advice, then.

(just kidding, Joel..well, partly. I trust your advice because you know your stuff)
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

km86 if you can find one! (Worked for Motown)
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

I think this gal sang through an 87 ...and the sound is superb.

YouTube - For all we know--Carpenters

'
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperlestudio View Post
under 2000, go for something like shure sm7b + shure sm57 + a pair of at4050 3 workhorse that sound great on about anything.
+1

These three microphones can cover A LOT of ground. The Oktava MK012 is also a nice, versatile microphone that copes well with steel strung instruments, percussion and vocals.
Old 18th June 2009
CAD VX2 with both caps, the most versatile and amazing mic in the world. Dual tube gigantic clear sounding wonder of the audio world, really.

Do a search for it here, it gets a lot of love.

DP

Reicher Recording - Home

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search