The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Atlas Sound Mic Stand Build Quality - In The Dumps
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict

Atlas Sound Mic Stand Build Quality - In The Dumps

Welcome to manufacturing in China.

I've spent some serious cash on mic stands the last couple months. All Atlas Sound as their reputation is very good. Well, I've had to send multiple (6) pieces back due to poor threadings, blemishes that were simply painted over and incorrect parts.

WTF is going on at Atlas Sound??? These aren't cheap mic stands from a pricing standpoint. But the manufacturing sucks. If it costs and extra $20 for a quality built mic stand, I'll pay it....just get me a premium product that works that I don't need vise-grips to thread. I'm so tired of messing around with this trivial stuff.

Anyone else having these problems?
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict

I have one that has dodgy threading, as well. You have to be very careful about attaching clips--or risk spending 30 minutes with a pair of vice grips trying to get it off again.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
I have one that has dodgy threading, as well. You have to be very careful about attaching clips--or risk spending 30 minutes with a pair of vice grips trying to get it off again.

I hear you, but for the love of Pete, why can't they get simple threading NAILED? It is not rocket science. I have a call in to the company to do some complaining...I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Damn I am pissed.
Old 16th June 2009
The best studio stands in the world are made by LATCH LAKE

Welcome to Latch Lake Product - Your Source for quality guitar slides and microphone stands

They're expensive but well worth the cost.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Still have my original Atlas stamds from 1977 :::: bought my first boom in 1968
Old 17th June 2009

I've still got 40 year old Atlas BS36 stands/booms operating but ALL the original regular sized booms that Atlas made (until KM/Beyer came along in the 70's and everybody, including Atlas adopted that design ) were the absolutely worst crap and I have probably thrown away dozens over the years. Anybody that owned them will remember all the different ways they would break, slip, drop etc. These were the ones that tightened with small, pot metal wing nuts. I guess you'd have to have been around way back when to remember them as I can't seem to find a picture on the internet to illustrate my rant, but they were the dominant ones used in the sixties and early seventies.
The bases and main stand tubes have held up well. MS20, 25 are great.
As I post this I have just spent hours re-building the swivels on the ends of my BS36 stands.......not the best of American industrial design.
Anyway, even the made in America Atlas wasn't all that wonderful......but I will say that the threads usually were good!

EDIT: Found a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlas Sound Mic Stand Build Quality - In The Dumps-bud0o-w-mk-kgrhgookj0ejllmrc54bklozipc4q-_1.jpg  
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks for the replies everyone.

UPDATE:

Atlas Sound called me back quickly and asked if I needed any replacements.

I was in the middle of threading the quick-releases on with some automotive grease and vise-grips and pliers wrapped in a leather glove. This technique seems to work. After I remove the QR, I wipe off the grease and the threads seem to be set properly. Easy to screw on and off now.

Neva from AS said that I really shouldn't need to do that and I concurred! I told her if I ran into any insurmountable problems, I'll call her for a replacement which she said she'd be thrilled to provide if necessary.

I thought it was important to let them know about the problems I was having with their products so they could make mfg adjustments as necessary.

Spindrift
Old 21st November 2012
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
Yes this is old thread but I just bought a few new Atlas Sound stands and my heart sank deep in my stomach.
Bold lettering "MADE IN CHINA" on product. I'm a NJ guy and Atlas Sound was nearby in Parsippany NJ and I proudly used their products from 60's til today.

Funny I bought ebony stands so they don't reflect but the paint job is shiny high gloss?
I just look for old ones.
I just refuse to buy the made in china ones.
just sucks: (
Old 21st November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
The best studio stands in the world are made by LATCH LAKE

Welcome to Latch Lake Product - Your Source for quality guitar slides and microphone stands

They're expensive but well worth the cost.
+100,000,000

Why put your mic on junk!?
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

German made K&M is the only thing for me. Even my one older MS-25 has a K&M boom on it!
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

I've got various Atlas, K&M, and Latch Lake stands. The Atlas are mediocre, but fine for routine stuff. The K&M are lovely and well-made. The Latch Lake are, well, sexy—if such can be said about mic stands. Flawlessly made and infallible. The engineering is amazing. They are not cheap, but you'll never regret having a pair. Best of luck.
Old 21st November 2012
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Why put your mic on junk!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
German made K&M is the only thing for me. Even my one older MS-25 has a K&M boom on it!
I have a few K&M they are not bad.
I have no real issues with the older Atlas stands.
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Are the K&M still made in Germany?
Yes latchlake is a sexy piece of work, a part of me wishes they would make a quality basic stand, but in a world where you get a free made in China stand with your made in China mic.

In the old days everybody had the taps and dies to rebuild their stands.
If you think you got it bad , think of the SR guys some of whom have a couple of thousand stands! Their tric was to Keep buying the same stands and recycle the good parts as they brake!
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

I had an Atlas boom arm just snap on me recently. The metal extension arm literally just snapped while taking off a mic. I was pretty surprised!

Good thing is the boom was only a couple of months old and Atlas was great about sending a replacement super quickly - so kudos to them for service at least.

Cheers!
-Mike
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

I've had very good success with Atlas stands. I use the 12. 20 and 25 series. I actually have some very old 10 series that I've had from the late fifties. I much prefer these stands to the more popular tripod base models that my big feet inevitably bump into.

Dennis
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Are the K&M still made in Germany?
Yes.
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Addict

I would never buy another (new) Atlas stand. Three booms, the hinges and the the screws to adjust the booms all stripped. One cosmetically damaged mic when a boom extension gave way. I got replacement booms because they do have decent weight. But even now they're still annoying because the legs fall when lifting and moving and then you get all pissed kicking the legs back out. Before long I will rid of them forever!
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

Sadly, I ordered an Atlas stand that I loved quite a few years ago, then ordered the exact same model number stand and boom arm from them about 4 years ago.

The difference was that the new one was made in China. Thread sizes were different, finish and craftsmanship were remarkably worse. I wrote the company and sent photos comparing the 2 stands. I got a response that was flippant and derogatory.

They had a great rep. Now, It would take a lot for me to actually consider buying a new Atlas product.

sad....
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Yes latchlake is a sexy piece of work, a part of me wishes they would make a quality basic stand, but in a world where you get a free made in China stand with your made in China mic.
Yes. I've a got a few Latchlocks, and I also really wish they'd make a gigging stand. I'd pay a few hundred a pop for small, well made stands that I could take to gigs. I'm so damn sick of the plastic junk that passed off as quality these days.

The K&M's do look nice. Might fill the need. At $85 each, a deal if they're well made.
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

K&M all the way here.

The K&M 21430 was the best thing I could find in Europe for heavier mics / longer reach.. Got two of them, not as sexy as LatchLake but it'll do.

K&M 21430 large view 1 - Thomann Belgian Cyberstore

Herwig
Old 22nd November 2012
Here for the gear

I use a couple of boom stands from SE Electronics - both 'stand 1' and 'stand 2' - and they are pretty sturdy. Ideal for heavy mics.

http://www.seelectronics.com/stand-1-pro-stand
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Ultimo looks more like a place to hang your jacket and pants! Does it have a shelf for the pocket change? Strange looking to me!
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I won and use these fellows made by Yorkville . They are actually good , solid and cost is quite reasonable . This is for all the Canadian GSers Accessories . Have not had one break on me .
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Back when they made them <<
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

You mean hairy drummers? ;-)

I had a nice set of MS-36s at one time...
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Old thread I realize. Atlas was great until the move to Chinese manufacturing. Now they will not stay where you adjust them. Clutches don't hold and neither do booms or the knobs that hold the extensions. Their customer service is great about sending out another piece of junk though!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search