The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Art Pro MPA 2 vs. ART MPA Gold
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Nut

Art Pro MPA 2 vs. ART MPA Gold

Still confused after reading the postings.
Which is better in your opinion?
Is the Art Pro MPA 2 the same thing as the ART MPA Gold?
It seems that everyone likes the Gold better, especially after new tubes.
Why is the Gold version better?
Thanks!!
Old 28th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I just purchased a Art MPA Pro II a few days ago and I will try to give you a review of it when it arrives this week. I got it to run into my Mbox 2 so I could bypass those preamps. I'm guessing it will be worth it to invest in Mogami cables to run from the ART to the Mbox, does anyone have any other suggestions or advice for getting possible sound? I've already orderd a set of Mullards to replace the stock tubes based off of advice I've read on these forums.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
Still confused after reading the postings.
Which is better in your opinion?
Is the Art Pro MPA 2 the same thing as the ART MPA Gold?
It seems that everyone likes the Gold better, especially after new tubes.
Why is the Gold version better?
Thanks!!
According to one of the guys at ART the PRO MPA II is a new version of the MPA Gold with better noise performance, gain staging, new Mid/Side Miking Technique feature and now has leds for the VU meters instead of cheaper bulbs that had a tendancy to blow.

Based on this info it looks like the PRO MPA II is essentially the same as the MPA Gold but with improved performance.
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
I just purchased a Art MPA Pro II a few days ago and I will try to give you a review of it when it arrives this week. I got it to run into my Mbox 2 so I could bypass those preamps. I'm guessing it will be worth it to invest in Mogami cables to run from the ART to the Mbox, does anyone have any other suggestions or advice for getting possible sound? I've already orderd a set of Mullards to replace the stock tubes based off of advice I've read on these forums.
Yeah. Please let me know what you think.
That would be great!!
Thanks!!
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Head

I had a ART Digital MPA. First one worked for a month then toasted. Sent it for repair. Repaired it worked for another month or two, broke again. Sent it back this time they send me a new unit completely works for 2 weeks and stops working. Sent that one for repair got it back and sold it.

They have good customer service but just had the worst luck with that unit myself. Sometimes it would just be the S/PDIF that would go out and other times it would just be the whole unit wacked out. It was a turd IMO. Just a thought.
Old 14th September 2009
Lives for gear

So, any comparisons been made between the ART MPA GOLD and the new ART PRO MPA II ? I understand that the later PRO MPA II version has a few new features such as the stereo/duel operation option and the mid/side micing support but do these preamps actually sound any different?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear

Bump...
Old 21st October 2009
Zin
Gear Head

bump
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

Bumpety bump...
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Addict

I've used an MPA II for some time now, some of my thoughts on the unit:

- the stereo/dual feature only works for the analog output. Since I almost always use the SPDIF output, I can't really use the dual mode, which is a bit of downer.
- one thing I really miss is an optical control for tube gain. according to the manual there should be a switch to activate tube gain control on the VU meter, but on my unit this is not present.
- I've only just begun to use the mid/side matrix, but this seems cool.
- I replaced the tubes with Telefunken Smooth Plates, which seriously improved the sound. since then, I've gotten nice results with it, both on guitars and vocals.

I recently had a chance to compare it to a Neve Fast Path -- no match, unfortunately. but for the money I spent on the MPA, I'd say it makes a good sound. I can't really compare it to the MPA Gold, since I only used that once. I anyone's interested, I could upload one or two clips of songs I recorded with the MPA II.
Old 23rd January 2010
Here for the gear

ART Digital MPA II question

Hey guys I have a question that may or may not sound rediculous. Ok I've had my unit for a month now and i'm getting a great sound for my productions. I've been using this as a direct box to NI Guitar rig. At high gain this unit actually puts out a very pleasing fuzz from my American strat and I ended up not even "Guitar Rigging" that specific track. I had the gain almost all the way up, +20 db switch on, and high plate voltage. The vu meter also was in red most of the time. It still sounds great tracking vocals and everything. I was just wondering if driving my pre in the red on a regular basis is bad for it? I haven't tried this again yet because I didn't know if it would damage the unit. Please let me know!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search