The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm looking for some warmer drum overhead mics..
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

I'm looking for some warmer drum overhead mics..

I've been upgrading most of my gear and one of the last big purchases I need to make is a decent set of overheads. I've been making a pair of Samon C01 SDC's work for the last year or so but I find them a bit too "shimmery" or "crispy" on the cymbals. I am not sure if it's safe to assume all SDC's are like this or just my budget pair.

I would like to try to keep it at maybe around $600 for a pair of overheads. I want something warmer, I want to be able to hear the crashes instead of just a bunch of sizzle! Should I go to LDC's for this?

I am a big fan of ORTF and hardly use any other setup just as a note..
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Nut

Try some ribbons.
Fatheads rule for the money, but beware of the rack and floor toms sounding huge!
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killersoundz View Post
I've been upgrading most of my gear and one of the last big purchases I need to make is a decent set of overheads. I've been making a pair of Samon C01 SDC's work for the last year or so but I find them a bit too "shimmery" or "crispy" on the cymbals. I am not sure if it's safe to assume all SDC's are like this or just my budget pair.

I would like to try to keep it at maybe around $600 for a pair of overheads. I want something warmer, I want to be able to hear the crashes instead of just a bunch of sizzle! Should I go to LDC's for this?

I am a big fan of ORTF and hardly use any other setup just as a note..
Ribbons work great for this.
Old 16th June 2009
SRS
Lives for gear

Shure KSM-32. Done. (RCM will surely agree...)
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreensock View Post
Try some ribbons.
Fatheads rule for the money, but beware of the rack and floor toms sounding huge!

this is true. hell, one fathead directly over the kit works awesome due to the figure 8. if you place it between the rack toms about 3-4 feet high to catch the left and right image, it is a super cool mono image of the cymbals. use a high pass to cut out the drums a bit if you'd like, but they sound fantastic.
even better are the fathead pair. vibe and style can play an important factor on the mic placement. this is my referred method for recording jazz OH.

btw, huge sounding drums just suck....no one likes big drums, especially drummers.

rich
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Well, warm and ortf; A schoeps ortf!

(Edit: hmmm, i guess not for 600$)
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post

unless they say peluso on the side.

rich
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I dig the fatheads. But, for the price, perhaps a used pair of SM81's.....they have an uncanny flat response(straight line from 20-20). They are way brighter than the fatheads (which are super dark), but would also be an enormous leap from the samsons. Plus, the 81's would be awesome on a bunch of other things, they also have a -10db pad, and 2 different hp filters, I've used the most extreme hpf on ov's and all you get are cymbals and stick hits (awesome if that's what is desired).

The fatheads are pretty dark, but respond to eq pretty well, the do seem to be a little picky about preamps though. The 81's respond to eq well too, and have sounded the same through everything I've put them through.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

i find condensers in general a little too bright for my taste of OH application. (cheap) ribbons as well as 421's are just great!
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl2112 View Post
I dig the fatheads. But, for the price, perhaps a used pair of SM81's.....they have an uncanny flat response(straight line from 20-20). They are way brighter than the fatheads (which are super dark), but would also be an enormous leap from the samsons. Plus, the 81's would be awesome on a bunch of other things, they also have a -10db pad, and 2 different hp filters, I've used the most extreme hpf on ov's and all you get are cymbals and stick hits (awesome if that's what is desired).

The fatheads are pretty dark, but respond to eq pretty well, the do seem to be a little picky about preamps though. The 81's respond to eq well too, and have sounded the same through everything I've put them through.

but i think that he wants the dark sound. the sizzle is too penetrating in his current OH, the fatheads will drop alot of that. i persoanlly use brighter sabians on my kits, the aa, xs20, and paragons, and depending on the style of music will choose mics to complement. the adk SL for rock and pop, fatheads for jazz and indie. it's all about how obtrusive i want my cymbals to be in the mix.

rich
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post

LOL, I'm like schoeps, never heard of that. Looked it up and got excited about the ortf bar then found the price and about wet myself. Thats about what I paid for my car.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

Hmm I'll have to look into some ribbons then. The only thing is the figure-8 pattern. Are there any cheap cardioid ribbon mics?
Old 16th June 2009
Jai guru deva om

Ribbons are figure 8 (except the Beyers, which if you shop eBay hard enough for used, you may find a pair close to your price range) so not only are you getting the smooooooth sound but you're looking for which is very different from those Samson mics, but you're now picking up a lot more of the room.

I guess the big question is, how is the room? Ceiling height might dictate whether or not you use a figure 8 on overheads first of all. My ceiling is a little over 9' high and I only tend to use ribbons as room mics.

A smooth sounding condenser (cardioid) might still be your best bet. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say those Samson mics might be bright, harsh mics...?

The Chameleon Labs TS-1 tube SDC is actually a smooth condenser mic sound, accenting the body of the drums more than the sizzle and high end of the cymbals. I think it easily could be the sound you're looking for.

The BLUE Baby Bottle is a darkish large diaphragm and cardioid, delivering more body than sizzle also.

On the cheap, the MXL V67G is actually worth checking out too for a somewhat darkish, smooth condenser.

War
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Ribbons are figure 8 (except the Beyers, which if you shop eBay hard enough for used, you may find a pair close to your price range) so not only are you getting the smooooooth sound but you're looking for which is very different from those Samson mics, but you're now picking up a lot more of the room.

I guess the big question is, how is the room? Ceiling height might dictate whether or not you use a figure 8 on overheads first of all. My ceiling is a little over 9' high and I only tend to use ribbons as room mics.

A smooth sounding condenser (cardioid) might still be your best bet. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say those Samson mics might be bright, harsh mics...?

The Chameleon Labs TS-1 tube SDC is actually a smooth condenser mic sound, accenting the body of the drums more than the sizzle and high end of the cymbals. I think it easily could be the sound you're looking for.

The BLUE Baby Bottle is a darkish large diaphragm and cardioid, delivering more body than sizzle also.

On the cheap, the MXL V67G is actually worth checking out too for a somewhat darkish, smooth condenser.

War
if he doesn't go the ribbon route(which i hope he does) the v67 would be the next on the list. actually, if he had the v67i he can go for either a warmer or more sizzly tone depending on the drummer/session.

rich
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:

War
I track drums in a big ol' concrete warehouse space. something like 24'x40' and 14ft ceilings. I've got a lot of junk stored in there now so it's deader then when I first got the place but it's still pretty lively -- In a bit of a good way though.

Yeah I guess you could still use figure 8's in ORTF... I think I might have to look into some tube LDC's like you said..
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

War

At one point I decided to throw a pair of these on the overheads in place of my Shure ksm109's and I loved what they did to the sound. I haven't looked back. $200 for a really decent pair of overheads and you get a couple decent vocals mics on top of it. IMO it's a no brainer. By the way once I switched to the MXL's I started getting comments on how real and nice the cymbals sounded.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict

I used two Peluso 2247LE as OH`s in Glyn Johns setup 4 weeks ago.I`m producing 10 songs for an album now and i must say it works perfectly on every song we`ve recorded.I`m not fan of Peluso on vocals but this smooth and a bit compressed midrange works with drums good.It`s easy to brighten highs with good eq and compression on drums is more natural.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search