The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avant CV-33/40 vs 414's etc
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Avant CV-33/40 vs 414's etc

Thinking of picking up an Avantone CV-33 or CV-40 to use as my main drum overheads. Currently have a pair of AKG 414 ULS' and a pair of Se Gemini II's.

Despite the obvious format differences, how does the sound quality of the Avantone mics hold up?

Cheers

Al
Old 16th June 2009
Jai guru deva om

They are certainly OK mics, but do you really want a third large condenser stereo setup...? I don't know, might make sense to reach for some ribbons or small condensers if you don't have.

War
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Avant really does a great job for the pricepoint.

I highly recommend their whole line.... While the 414 remains a staple of my typical rock/pop drum recording setup I almost always use one of the stereo Avant mics for Room mics. They also excel on acoustic guitars, pianos etc.

Stereo mics would not a type of microphone I would purchase without an extensive mic locker already in your studio.

As Warhead said... maybe some SDC, dynamics, or ribbons might be a better addition to your setup.

Two PR40's or RE20's would be nice... they also work on drums very well.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Well I'm thinking that it would be really useful to have a stereo mic, as the Gemini's are way to big/heavy to get into any sort of coincident pair, and it can be very difficult to get the 414's to do that too. Plus, 414's often get used on toms, rooms, cabs etc so they would always find a use!

However, if the Avantone mics simply dont sound as good as the 414's/Gemini's, I will look elsewhere.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers

Al
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlez View Post
Any more thoughts?
Al, yeah, I have some thoughts.... heh heh

My absolute FAV for drum overheads are Gefell M71S's. The older ones that are transformer balanced. I've put them up against ALL odds, and they keep coming out on top no matter how much I try to like other mics better.

Now, I like SDC's and ribbons as well, and use them. But a good LDC always seems to satisfy me the the most.

If you want to hear them up against a SLEW of other mics including the usual suspects like U87's, 414B-ULS, etc., go here for a listen :

Drum Mic Madness!!!!

Let us know here or there what you think.....

Good luck with your search.

bp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search