The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bass Amp for studio (other than Ampeg B15)
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Bass Amp for studio (other than Ampeg B15)

Hey all,
I have a couple of portaflexes- an SB12 and a B15s. I want to sell my B15 to get a different bass amp for my studio: preferrably something with higher headroom and more output, can go down lower, but also has nice character to throw a mic in front of. I'm not set on vintage and/or tubes, but they don't hurt for character. Looking to spend less than $1K with cabinet.

I have wanted to find a Sunn Model T, the old ones are getting expensive and hard to come by.. I've also thought about getting something newer, like a Markbass or Eden for the clarity and headroom, but want something that people crave when they come in to record.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Evan in Seattle
Old 16th June 2009
I've had really good results with a GK 2001RB head with a 4x10 RBH cab. It's very cool how there are two channels (one clean, one overdriven) and you can really dial in some great sounds.
Old 16th June 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

About 5 months months ago, I picked up a Markbass Littlemark II and a Basson B210-B.

The cab is the same size or bigger than most 4x10 cabs, and it has only a pair of 10's. The way Basson engineered it, the lowest usable frequency is 28Hz, and you can really tell when you play it next other bass cabs. It never loses a note at the top or bottom of the spectrum. We were using a bass tuned down to C# and it reproduced every note like it was nothing.

The LMII is a cool and super lightweight amp (6lbs?) that puts out anything from very clean and modern to vintage, tube-ish tones. However, if you're looking for a great overdrive / distortion sound, get a pedal. The LMII doesn't do high gain all that well by itself, but it takes the Sansamp RBI pretty well.

I haven't tried a whole mess of bass rigs, but I'd recommend this setup. Compared to most other rigs that people bring in, the LMII / B120-B totally kill them.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

An SWR Workingman's 12 can sound huge in a mix. As much as I dig the air that a 15" or 18" can move, a 10" or 12" mics up easily and punches though without a lot of mud.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have the Sunn 300T head and could not do without it. Mate it with an Ampeg cabinet and it is an instant classic.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
An SWR Workingman's 12 can sound huge in a mix. As much as I dig the air that a 15" or 18" can move, a 10" or 12" mics up easily and punches though without a lot of mud.
the workingman is great. trace elliots are still my favorite.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Anything Aguilar (the AG500 DS is very versatile) or Markbass. Epiphani aint bad, thunderfunk is great.
Also smaller Edens.
I am recommending from experience - we have them all.

Yury
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Old Ampeg V4B with 4X10 Cabinet.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

stop the POST RIGHT NOW!

this is the ultimate set up -

GOLIATH IV CAB
SWR SM-900

nuff said

for DI

Milennia TD-1

every bass player in the world will agree!

well......not EVERYONE of course....
Old 16th June 2009
Here for the gear

I've got an old 100w Fender Bassman head.. Sounds great through a 15".
Old 16th June 2009
Nix on the Fender if you're looking for good low end.

The SWR Workingman's and Redhead series are quite good.

Your Ampeg B-15S is solid state, right? Probably why you don't like it - the B-15N is much better sounding, although half the power. Too bad - I'm looking for a reasonably priced B-15N.......
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post

Your Ampeg B-15S is solid state, right? Probably why you don't like it - the B-15N is much better sounding, although half the power. Too bad - I'm looking for a reasonably priced B-15N.......

The B15s has tubes:
2x7027A
1x12AU7
2x12AX7
1x12DW7
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post

+1 on the b-15n. I have a b-18 and you don't hear the thing, you feel it.

I haven't tried a Fender bass cab, BUT I would have to say that my Music Man HD "One-Twenty" (NOT HD120, mine's the pre-Ernie Ball hybrid one in "letters") is very deep and bluesy. Made by Leo Fender, I use it for guitar even though it's a bass amp. It's very thick sounding, and VERY under-rated. You can probably find one for good condition for like $300-400 on eBay or Craigs. I put that through my dual 15" Showman cabinet and it's a monster on guitar. Like I said, I haven't used it for bass, but It'd be second in line behind my b-18n.

Oh, and it's f'n loud as hell, be careful.

2 bits,
-soup
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Nut

David Eden world tour 800 thru a Bag End 4x10 cabinet is one of the most impressive rigs I have ever heard.

props also to GK. Having two channels to work with is nearly too many options when all the settings sound so good and distinct.
Old 16th June 2009
dmc
Gear Head

ampeg B18heh

no but seriously i have had several Bass amps over the years as a bass enthusiast ones that stood out.

• mesa boogie d180 guitar/bass head- strange master volume- grindy fretnoiser make everything sound like a fender squier. amplifies the mechanics of bass playing more than the notes. sort of the at4033 of amps
  • Fender Dual Showman Reverbs yes its a fender guitar amp and silverface to boot (turn away dont look at it). have the power section modded for more lowend if you prefer. the pre sounds a lot like a alembic f2b(since the former inspired the latter) and you get a 4x 6L6c tube power amp as well for not much more monies than what used f2b preamps go for on evilbay. phil lesh of the grateful dead used these as preamps for a period hence the alembic connection. look maybe this is karma for the whole Fender bassman being adored by guitarist (kinda like a iceland greenland yin yang)
  • Sunn 2000s bintage one (yes bintage with a b)-Felix pappalardi- nuff said
  • I feel like keeping this one a secret but that is selfish and stupid. try to find any vintage combo amp that has the name versatone, agc , bonham ,or audio guild corporation name and 7591 power tubes plus a control called panoflex. some i have seen had a closed back 12" utah speaker while others had the 12" sealed cabinet + 8" speaker in an open back configuration.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Bump the bass! Any more awesome recording bass amps recommendations?

thx
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Selmer T and B does it for me.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Probably more than you want to spend, but I've been able to credibly cover a lot of stylistic ground with a Mesa Big Block 750 & 4x10 Mesa Powerhouse cabinet.

Ironically, I got this rig after missing out on several B15s. I wanted something that was capable of that sonic vibe, and my artist rep at Mesa assured me that he wasn't joking when he recommended the BB750. If you close your eyes and listen, it's credible in Rock, Motown, R&B, C&W, etc. As a mixer, I occasionally reamp DI tones, and this rig hasn't let me down yet. YMMV, but it works for me.
Old 17th June 2009
Quote:
SWR Workingman's
+1 thumbsup
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pie View Post
I've got an old 100w Fender Bassman head.. Sounds great through a 15".
Me too!1 I bought a Fender Bassman 100 from a closing studio in LA. It sounds good with my 4x10" 1/2 of an SVT cabinet. Also have a Ampeg solid state head. Ampeg= good bass amp. The biggest mistake selling something ,was the sale of my Ampeg B-15. even though I bought it for $90 and sold it for $400.
GT.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusound View Post
Hey all,
I have a couple of portaflexes- an SB12 and a B15s. I want to sell my B15 to get a different bass amp for my studio: preferrably something with higher headroom and more output, can go down lower, but also has nice character to throw a mic in front of. I'm not set on vintage and/or tubes, but they don't hurt for character. Looking to spend less than $1K with cabinet.

I have wanted to find a Sunn Model T, the old ones are getting expensive and hard to come by.. I've also thought about getting something newer, like a Markbass or Eden for the clarity and headroom, but want something that people crave when they come in to record.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Evan in Seattle
Hi Evan, if one of the Portaflexes have to go then sell the B15 as the B-12 is more versatile, so brilliant for bass Or guitar, the 15 has slightly less clarity than the 12, though the 12 needs more attention for eveness in bass through all the notes up the neck on the E string. Mark amps ar cheap, very good value, clean etc but they lack personality big time, they have no vibe and do not have an interesting sound I would bother recording.
The new generation Line 6 pods second hand on eBay are very good value, hassle free and really do what they are told, the LA2A comp simulation knob works well too. Hiwatt 100's are great for bass too (not to mention obviously also guitar) but pricier than what you are looking at, what about a bassman head for that real solid woody tone? Hard to say any bass amp you get will really only do the one sound, the line 6 has heaps for different people.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreensock View Post
David Eden world tour 800 thru a Bag End 4x10 cabinet is one of the most impressive rigs I have ever heard.
Thats my live rig. Ridiculous power, headroom and clarity. It's pretty darn far from the sound of a B-15 though (or any Ampeg for that matter). Also - it can't quite get down to the fundamental of the low B string on a 5 string bass (but then again not much can...). But i find it far smoother and more neutral (almost like a studio monitor) than the GK sound (exaggerated upper mids) or the super hyped SWR smiley face curve. Been thinking about picking up something small and Ampegish to complement it.

I think it's very difficult to pick one bass amp for the studio. An Ampeg B-15N and the SWR SM series through Goliath cabs, for example, sound absolutely worlds apart. Depends very much on what sounds you're after.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

My ampeg SB12 works great on bass for the brown sound. I am looking for something different to compliment it. I don't think I want a super modern sound though (though flat and hi fi would work, as long as can go down low). The Markbass stuff is pretty dial-able as far as tone with the VLE and VPF knobs. This looks pretty strong:
MARKBASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPRYZ View Post
Thats my live rig. Ridiculous power, headroom and clarity. It's pretty darn far from the sound of a B-15 though (or any Ampeg for that matter). Also - it can't quite get down to the fundamental of the low B string on a 5 string bass (but then again not much can...). But i find it far smoother and more neutral (almost like a studio monitor) than the GK sound (exaggerated upper mids) or the super hyped SWR smiley face curve. Been thinking about picking up something small and Ampegish to complement it.

I think it's very difficult to pick one bass amp for the studio. An Ampeg B-15N and the SWR SM series through Goliath cabs, for example, sound absolutely worlds apart. Depends very much on what sounds you're after.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have an older silver face Trace Elliott 1225v combo rig that I love. 250 watts, 2x10 and 2x5 with adjustable crossover level, tube pre with XLR out, pre or post EQ available on the pre amp out. I was lucky to find one, they don't show up for sale very often.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Any more cool bass amps for recording? Great tips coming in.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Old Ampeg V4B with 4X10 Cabinet.
Amen.

And maybe a 15" speaker to go along with it for a little more of that B15 kind of sound when you wanted it. You could get all of that for under a grand, I think, if you were careful.

Not to mention that you would also have a guitar amp head that could get your rocks off while it tore your f#$%ing face off.

Best of luck.
Old 27th October 2010
Here for the gear

Ampeg B-15S

Despite what some say, the Ampeg B-15S is a GREAT studio amp..you'll find them in many studios worldwide. It may not have the "Motown" sound of the B-15N, but its sound has a beauty all its own. If you're a rocker and/or play a 5, you may find the sound of the S more to your liking. It is a TUBE amp (you'll find the tube specs in an earlier post) with a solid-state rectifier that puts out 60 watts RMS through an Eminence or (optional) Altec 421A speaker. I believe the S is very underrated. Try one out!
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

old SVT
V4B
traynor bass master
selmer treble and bass 100
acoustic 260
all into 8x10
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Head

I've been using one of the original SWR Redheads (the one with the 240 watt power amp). I normally mic the 10's with a 421 and run a Radial J48 DI. I line the tracks up in logic to compensate for latency. Sounds good.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

I've got a Little Mark II and I can recommend it, very versatile.

I use a 1 x 15" cab I made to bassman spec found here.

Shavano Music Online - Copying Cabinets

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search