The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mic advice anyone?
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Mic advice anyone?

Looking for a few good mics to get my humble home studio off the ground. Any suggestions as far some good all around mics I could pick up. Ill mainly be recording piano, drums, acoustic and electric guitar, and bass. Not looking to spend a ton of money, but also not looking to skimp and end up with some piece of $#%@ mic that I have to replace in a few months anyways.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Soundelux U195... I was in the same situation a few months ago, and after a lot of research and great advice from this forum, I picked up one of these and I'm loving it.. extremely flexible, and sounds great great on everything I've tried it with (vox, guitars, hand percussion, solo violin).. FWIW, I also picked up a used 414 B-uls (about $500 on ebay) a little while ago, and while its not a real character mic, it is one of the most realistic and natural sounding mics i've tried (ok, havent tried that many!) great on classic and acoustic guitars, and even on certain bright/peircy vocals.. And you can never go wrong with a couple SM57's... good luck with your search.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

How much money do you want to spend??
Old 15th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
How much money do you want to spend??
I second that motion.

War
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Prob have about $1000 to spend on mics
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

For Piano and Drums, you'd want a stereo pair. Look in to the Octavas MK012A http://sound-room.com/customer/produ...8&cat=3&page=1
You'll need dynamic mic for the Kick and also useful for the Bass...I'd go with a AKGD112 or an Audix D6
Get a Shure SM57 for the snare and for the electric guitars.
You can get a SM81 for the Acustic Guitars or as a spot mic for the Drum.
This last one, is not terribly necessary, for you'll already have the Octavas, so maybe save that money, get a bit more, and buy eventually a nice LDC...for a bit more you can get a AKG414, or maybe for a bit less...a RHODE K2.
Good luck, and welcome to GearSlutz........................Joaquin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search