The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Double mic's for ADR.. Why??
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Double mic's for ADR.. Why??

I've noticed on a lot of those "behind the scenes" shows that actors overdubbing dialog are sometimes using 2 mics, placed one in-front of the other.. Especially true in voice overdubs for animated films..

Is the second mic being used for anything (like ambience, phase cancellation.. etc??) or is it just a really expensive prop? Just wondering if anyone knew the reason for this practice.. Thanks..
Old 15th August 2005
Just airballin' here... could it be to have greater flexibility in matching the sonic character of previously recorded dialog? A lot of movies can have wildly varying mic proximities, etc., from scene to scene. Having a close mic and a far mic and being able to blend as needed might help edit it in convincingly.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Guessing too... but maybe because of the large dynamic range actors can go through from whispering to yelling at the top of their lungs... one mic with a lot less gain just for the yelling.

Good question though...
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

It if for matching a sonic space and getting a more accurate representation of the proximity of a person in relation to the viewer or camera. Typically a large diaphragm condenser or some sort of shotgun mic is used for the close mic and a small diaphragm pencil condenser is set further upwards and several feet in front of the voiceover actor.

Dante
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys, those are pretty good explainations, I'll definitely give it a try in my next VO job. I was trying to find some images of the setup i've seen, no luck yet. But it seems as if though they have 2 large cond. mic's placed back to back, in-line, slightly infront and above the vo talent. it could be to pick up both direct and non-direct signals..
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Ok, here are a couple of captures (sorry for the bad quality, i took pic's of my tv!) anyway, i'm not sure what the point of the back mic is, since it seems mostly obscured by the main one..

Thanks everyone.. I know this isn't a pressing matter or anything, just one of those things I've been wondering about forever..
Attached Thumbnails
Double mic's for ADR.. Why??-2mic.jpg  
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Possibly,the back mike is facing away from the talent,so you could get a balance of
direct and in direct signal. Two cardiods placed this way would be something close to an omni directional mike with seperate level controls for the front and back of the field. Although I should add I have seen post production guys running around in high heels so they do some wierd things to get a sound. Or maybe they jusy like it?
AE
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

I typically use a setup like that for both ADR and VO. Although I would guess those pictures are from a VO for animation session.

For ADR I typically use a LDC close up to match lav. mics and close mic'd dialog. I then use a shotgun further out to match more roomy sounding material. That distant shotgun can also be great for yelling or loud stuff.

For VO the second further out mic is used for louder lines. I usually pad back the second mic so that I don't have to go into the booth to adjust mic position ever time a loud line comes along.

Hope this helps!
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Head

I always thought the further out mic was a safty mic set lower in gain just in case the VO talent gets loud or yells. Think Robin Willams. When he starts going on a adlib VO session you would never know how loud someone like him would get.

Cheers,

elco
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

not a bad idea, sometimes Ive had to record a "celebrity" who for whatever reason has about 32 seconds spare to record a 30 second commercial, bang they are in and out, one take, you clip the mic.... too bad!

On the other hand that happens so rarely that I would not bother setting it all up and recording to another track all the time.

but when I'm doing VO jobs, i ALWAYS record to 2 things at once, even a mini-disc running in the back, anything. there is nothing worse getting to the end of a 1 hour script and watching the computer crash while saving.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search