The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Firepod and ART DPSII spdif connection problems
Old 15th June 2009
Here for the gear

Firepod and ART DPSII spdif connection problems

Hey everyone, glad to have joined this forum! Anyways I searched the threads and could not find another post on this so here we go.
Alright so I just bought an ART DPSII and am currently running a Presonus Firepod with Cubase LE4. I bought a SPDIF cable and hooked the two units up trying all the differnt things the manuals say. No matter what I do I just cant get it to work. No signal is passed from the ART to the Firepod.
Well if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Matt
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellular5 View Post
Hey everyone, glad to have joined this forum! Anyways I searched the threads and could not find another post on this so here we go.
Alright so I just bought an ART DPSII and am currently running a Presonus Firepod with Cubase LE4. I bought a SPDIF cable and hooked the two units up trying all the differnt things the manuals say. No matter what I do I just cant get it to work. No signal is passed from the ART to the Firepod.
Matt
Welcome to the world of know-it-alls and gear snobbery! lol.
If you haven't yet, you'll need to assign the spdif input to a track input in (i believe) device setup page, same as you did with the firepod inputs.
I never used the spdif options, but you should see it as an option in the device setup screen. Tell channel 1 -10 or 1-8 to read the spdif as the input source, and then the output would be your regular l and r master.
I'm guessing you'll connect the Art spdif output to the firepods spdif inputs.

Make sure your new spdif track is armed to receive audio info by turning the monitor on in it's channel strip, should be yellow. Once you add a track, make sure in it's channel strip you select spdif to receive the audio signal, other wise that channel doesn't know where to look for it's incoming sound.

Hope that helps, or at least gets you closer .

Steelyfan
Old 15th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellular5 View Post
Matt
If you have updated to the latest driver and FW, your SPDIF on your firepod will have been disabled. There are some threads on the subject over at the presonus forum. If you ask tech support, they will send you a F/W file to apply that is supposed to fix it. That's assuming you have made sure your clocking is set to external in the firepod control pannel and that your ART DSPII is connected and on.
Old 16th June 2009
Here for the gear

I have the Art Digital MPA and the firepod, and I have found that I have to:

1. Unplug the spdif cable from the firepod.
2. Turn on the ART and let it do it's thing for a second.
3. Turn on the Firepod and set the control panel to internal
4. Wait for the blue light on the firepod to stay steady
5. Change the control panel to external - light should blink red.
6. Plug in the spdif cable from the ART to the Firepod
7. Light should change to steady Blue.
8. spdif inputs are 9 (left) and 10 (right) in your DAW.

It's kind of a pain but it works. I haven't had any issues with a new firmware that was mentioned in a previous post, but I'm sure it could be that too if you updated the firmware. Good luck!
Old 16th June 2009
Here for the gear

Wicked thank you very much for the reply guys.
Ill definitely try these all out tomorrow.

Just out of curiousity why would I want to put the audition button on for the spdif channels when I dont normally do that for analog channels.

Matt
Old 18th June 2009
Here for the gear

hmm none of these have worked yet im beggning to think my spdif was killed by a driver
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Maniac
I know this is an old thread and I hate to resurrect it, but I had several issues getting my Presonus Firepod to work with SPDIF and thought I would share.

The firmware update to FP10 did disable the SPDIF connectors, so if you have done that, you will not have SPDIF available.

I called Presonus and got a very helpful solution from them. I had to ship it to them and, even though I have had this thing for over 7 years, they replaced the firmware and enabled the SPDIF again. They treated it as a warranty item, so no charge to me! Basically, they made a change and I think they were hoping it wouldn't affect many people. So, they made good and now I have a Presonus Firepod with working SPDIF connections! It is touchy about syncing at first, but once it locks it seems to do a fairly good job. Other interfaces with SPDIF don't have as many issues connecting, but it does work. You just have to follow the instructions given earlier in this post.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search