The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stupid [email protected]#$% CAT! (Yamaha NS-10)
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Stupid [email protected]#$% CAT! (Yamaha NS-10)

Hi all, hoping someone could help out.

My stupid cat decided to crash into one of my Yamaha NS-10's and the middle white paper bubble on the woofer is now pressed in.

Soundwise the speaker sounds fine but I just find the little pushed in bubble distracting to look at.

Could someone offer advice on how I can get this pushed back out?
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

duct tape
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Guru

you might be able to use a vacuum cleaner on low suction to grab the dent and pull it back the other way. You can buy a set of adapter hoses that neck down to various sizes for cleaning computers and such.

Its risky, but even if you say it "sounds fine" I bet your NS-10 is close to toast and you have little to lose
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

yeh, vacum hose does it... but leave the adjustable hole open, and get someone else to turn the vacum on and off, otherwise its too easy to stick the nozzle to the cone and break the cone / rip something.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

One more for a hoover on low level.
My daughter did the same once.. in the Hi-Fi shop

ruudman
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

The vacuum cleaner worked! You guys are geniuses!

And now, to sacrifice the cat to the Gear Gods heh
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
duct tape
I wouldnt use the tape method. I have a pair of NS-10s in front of me in which someone used tape to get it pulled out. It pealed off some of the surface on both speakers!!

I wouldnt recommend the tape route.

Take it to a repair shop that deals with this kind of thing.

Shane
Old 14th August 2005
if you use tape use benzine to remove the tape without harming the paper cone, apply it with a brush
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Guru

The cat might be trying to tell you something.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

What do you think this face is trying to say? heh

Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral

I'll be screwing up something else soon enough?
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Maniac

LMAO
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

A big wad of Bubble Yum, patted dry, works in a pinch on a dented NS-10.

As for as the cat, a little duct tape on the feet will keep him occupied.

Z
Old 15th August 2005
I run my NS10ms with the screens on.

Call me a rebel.

Then again, their primary duty is everyday listening. But the white cone really bugs me. It's always looked cheap and gimmicky. (But I do like the story of the decision to market them to the A-V, mobile studio market. A classic.) And, you know, about the time you're trying to decide whether to put one square of t.p. over the tweeter or two to tame the harsh high end rise, you can find yourself thinking... hmm... they came with screens, I've got the screens, I hate the look of the bare speakers... I have a cat...
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

My NS-10's didn't come with the screens
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

"Wait till I get the claws in that white paper bubble" heh

You should see the cat hair all over my Control/24! Automated moving faders are not mice!!

Shane
Old 15th August 2005
Quote:
That's interesting. I bought mine maybe around '96 or so.

Do yours have pin-sockets on the front where a screen could pop on?

I was just looking at the back of them. Made in Japan. Been a while since I've seen that... kinda makes me nostalgic.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
The cat might be trying to tell you something.

Yeah, I was gonna say, maybe you should take the cat with you when you shop for monitors.
Old 15th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Yeah, I was gonna say, maybe you should take the cat with you when you shop for monitors.
Meow. I mean, word.

But, y'know, I really like my NS10m's now that I'm using them for casual everyday use (and non-mixing music work, I'll admit it) powered up by a prosumer yamaha 65 watt power amp -- with a passive variable loudness contour that must have been designed to make the NS-10m's warm and smooth. It kinda does. It's freakin' eery.

The same amp has a 'straight-wire' button that bypasses all EQ and even the balance control, and I'd always used that back when the NS10m's were my primary NFM's. But, you know, that made 'em sounded like NS10m's. Which, in my mind is good for a second reference, but, for me, proved hard to work with dealing with synths and other low bass instruments.

But that loudness button... engaged with ham-fisted moderation, it makes them almost fat and warm and the high end smooths out, develops a little sheen.

Now... don't get me wrong, I think EQ is, generally, the devil's work and loudness buttons especially take me back to those strange days in the 70s when, uh, the general population suddenly discovered bass and it started thudding out of everywhere. I love country, but honest, it can be better when you don't have to feel that thumping 1-5 bass as a presence in your cardiovasuclar cavity...

Where was I... Oh, yeah, my cat...
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

So while we're on the subject, could you guys help with some questions?

1. Is there a recommended amp for the Yamaha NS-10's for pro use? ie. Bryston 2B/3B, Hafler P3000? A specific model would be greatly appreciated. Preferably a model with balanced (XLR or 1/4" TRS) inputs. A one rack space unit would be nice but not a must. What's the minimum wattage each side for an amp to power NS-10's properly? Is there a recommended wattage?

2. Is a subwoofer mandatory if these are to be the main monitors? If so, any recommendations and how does the sub hook up to the system?

3. So is that tissue paper on the tweeter thing necessary?

PS: my NS-10M's don't have pin sockets for screens.
Old 15th August 2005
I've never been entirely sure how serious anyone was about the toilet paper over the tweeter.

But the way I heard it, it was lighter than the grille cloth that I have but tamed the tweeter just a bit. I dunno. To my way of thinking the NS10m in classic application is kind of like a shining a bright light on the music. You wouldn't want it on all the time... but when you really need to see the tiny details. You get the drift.

The more I think about it, the more I think I remember hearing that Yamaha had stopped putting grille clothes on them because no one used them. It was at that time I heard the supposed history of the marketing of the NS10m, wherein Yamaha USA was faced with a small warehouse filled with the things but Japan's consumer manufacturing had shifted (to those big column speakers you used to see in the 80s) and these were kind of orphaned. The guys were sitting around in the facility in Compton or Gardena, with a pair of them flanking a yamaha receiver, trying to figure out how to sell them.

One of the sales execs popped a grille screen off and most of the people there went "Whoa! White cones. How can we market the white cones? What application has people take the grille covers off their speakers...?" Of course, the first thing they thought was recording studios -- but then they looked at the bass response and thought... ah TV. And because of the size, they also targeted mobile rigs.

[That story, of course, may well be apocryphal.]

First place I saw a pair was a friend's video truck. That must have been in the mid 80's I think. They didn't have much penetration in studios, yet. Back then, a lot of folks were actually mixing using Auratones. Why? Honest to gosh -- who knows? I think it was mass hysteria.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

If it were MY cat and MY NS-10's, he'd be saying "OK.. I can... um... You're going to kill me now. That's fair."

Naturally I'm making a joke.

I LOVE cats.

I just can't at a whole one, myself. heh
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

The biggest problem with my cat is he likes to play the piano very late at night. And mess up all the settings on the mixing board.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
The biggest problem with my cat is he likes to play the piano very late at night. And mess up all the settings on the mixing board.

heh heh

Same here. Thank god for automation and recall. heh heh
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:

you win THIS round, mr. "neutering is humane."

gregoire
del ubik
Old 15th August 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan
I wouldnt use the tape method. I have a pair of NS-10s in front of me in which someone used tape to get it pulled out. It pealed off some of the surface on both speakers!!

I wouldnt recommend the tape route.

Take it to a repair shop that deals with this kind of thing
Unless you really like to sound of people laughing at you, there are no shops that do that "kind of thing". The "bump" is also known as the "dust cap", which is all it does, keep dust out of the voice coil mechanism. Other than cosmetics and dust prevention, it serves no purpose what so ever... in other words, it really doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot [on a sonic level, not a visual level] whether it's pushed in or not.

Quote:
You have NS-10 II's which also featured nomenclature appropriate for leaving the speakers on their side and a "less harsh" tweeter so people didn't feel the need to put tissue paper over the tweeters the way Bob Clearmountain did in the 80's. The reason Yamaha left the grill of the "II" version is because nobody using the originals ever left the grill on the monitors... because most of the time people looked at the action of the woofer to help determine how much bottom they could put on a mix... with the grill there you couldn't see the action of the woofer.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Fletcher!

And just for the record, yes, Snippy is neutered - maybe this is revenge? heh

So could anyone help with the above questions regarding a good power amp and whether a subwoofer is mandatory and if so which one?
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

The 4B seems to be the leading contender...but depending on your room..and what kinda music you are doing...the 3 b will do . As far as a sub is concerned ...most of the mixers here use em...and most are hi-fi versions
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info Fletcher!

And just for the record, yes, Snippy is neutered - maybe this is revenge? heh

So could anyone help with the above questions regarding a good power amp and whether a subwoofer is mandatory and if so which one?
I am using the Hafler P3000 which seems to match pretty well with my NS-10's...They are my secondary monitoring system however...
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
duct tape

While your at it you should duct tape some foam padding around the cat to protect anything else the furry little bastard feels like running into.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search