The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Re-amping... which amp to chose?
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Nut

Re-amping... which amp to chose?

Im heading to my local music store to pick up a small practice amp for re-amping from my pod pro XT. I've read in allot of places that you can get huge sound micing a small amp and cranking it, so I have to give it a shot. Just wonder if anybody has any amp sugestions. Im looking for a soundgarden esq, crucnh tone that would mix well with acoustic. Nothing new metal. And no vintage amps, i need somthing that i can easly pick up at a music store. Thanks.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10
Im heading to my local music store to pick up a small practice amp for re-amping from my pod pro XT.

I'm not really sure what you're doing here with the PPXT, why is it even in the signal path?

You recorded the guitar straight with just a D.I. right? Then go:

DA converter or tape ---> reamping device -----> guitar amp

Maybe put the PPXT in the FX loop of the amp you get, bypass ALL amp sims, cabinet sims, and just use the FX section which is actually pretty good.

The PPXT would be used to track guitars with, or as an alternatice to reamping with an actual amp ( it replaces the amp).

Although you CAN run a guitar or reamped guitar through the PPXT and then into the amp, its not an ideal signal path at all, you're going through too many gain and tone stages. The best way to use a POD with an amp is either as a dedicated FX device in the FX loop with all other sims bypassed, using the amp's preamp for gain and tone, OR to instead use the POD's amp sims and run the output straight into a tube power amp (or the tube power section of your amp - I think its called "slave in" on Mesa amps....)

As for a small tracking amp you can buy at Banjo Depot, I cannot recommend the current offerings from Marshall or Fender - unless you're talking hand wired custom shop editions (both companies make em, and charge a buttload for em).

The Mesa F series gets my vote for basic, stock amps that can get a variety of tones and are backed by some nice customer support.

Have fun!

Old 14th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
OR to instead use the POD's amp sims and run the output straight into a tube power amp (or the tube power section of your amp - I think its called "slave in" on Mesa amps....)
... thats what im talking about. sorry if i used the wrong terminogy.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

That is the chain....

I use the Reamp.... The original. Build great with UTC transformers....

www.Reamp.com/

He has the patent and anyone else who makes a reamp needs to put extra $h!t in the chain to avoid legal ramifications. The reamp is the only one I would use.... and it is inexpensive considering the build quality and performance!
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon -10
... thats what im talking about. sorry if i used the wrong terminogy.
Well, if thats the case.... the amp doesn't make a huge difference as long as its tube and you set the output on the POD to a reasonable level so it doesn't clip the power amp's input.

The POD can sound pretty decent this way if you really tweak the presets.

Personally, I'd still much rather play through a real preamp, the response and tonality of a decent tube preamp (Soldano SP77, ahem) vs the POD is no contest.

Of course, you don't get 999 presets and models or every amp from 1937-2005.

Again.... I think using it as an FX box with all amp and cabinet models bypassed in the FX loop of an amp is the way to go.... some of the pedal sims are spot on, the modeled delays sound very nice (I'm a huge fan of the Line 6 Echo Park).

Mesa used to make a series of amps that were just a power amp and speaker in a combo format for using as slaves to other amps. I believe they were called "satallites." I didn't see any on ebay.... they're probably stopped making them 10-15 years ago, and there were never many made.

Other than one of those, the F series should be in any store and will do the job well. I like the F30 - it uses EL84 tubes which are the same as a Vox - its a nice jangly sound - and they're pretty cheap. VHT amps are more $$$$, but are also widely available and highly recommended - the Pitbull Fifty Twelve is a great amp.

Old 14th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Some of those small Randall MTS system combos might be worth you giving a listen. I have the RM80 (discontinued) with several modules and it gets used on most rock projects that come through at some point...if not 100% at times. Those MTS modules are great.

I found my RM80 with 3 modules shipped on eBay for $650 in mint shape.

War
Old 15th August 2005
One with big hooves

You gotta' remember that even a small amp like a Fender Princeton (20 watts with a 10") will hit 114dB SPL when cranked which is still really funkin' loud!!!

Still, probably the most versatile amp in my collection is the PV Classic. It's tube, has reverb & tremolo, two channels and can go from clean as a Twin to all-out ballz out metal grind. For under $500 (I got mine for $200!) it's pretty tough to beat. Sure, it's not super lush and 3-D but whuddawant from a PV?
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
Still, probably the most versatile amp in my collection is the PV Classic. It's tube, has reverb & tremolo, two channels and can go from clean as a Twin to all-out ballz out metal grind.
I second the Peavey Classic. Does lot of different stuff really well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search