The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha PM1000
Old 8th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I think they all sound quite good and surprisingly similar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Well, I'm done with that thread. I will, however, say that it's a crying shame that all these people are eulogizing a scumbag like MJ but only about 5 people seem to have even noticed the thread about the passing of Sky Saxon, one of the pioneers of psychedelic garage rock and probably a more influential musician in the long run than MJ will ever be. People don't seem to care about history and don't seem to care about the harm that some people do as long as they have the weight of the media behind them. It's sad.

RIP Sky Saxon.......

And yeah, I've got a big mouth......
WHAT? NO! DUDE NO!

sky saxon can't die. thats just ****ed up. the seeds were great!

how did i miss this?
Lives for gear

just a note, having some server issues. I'll bump this up when it's back up and the file can be downloaded.. should be shortly.

apologies.

oto
Old 2nd December 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I have a PM1000 16 that was modded for use as a 6 out live monitor console
Do you still have this? I understand it's been a few years, but I'm looking for a decently cheap project.

Thanks!
Old 9th August 2017 | Show parent
PM1000 compared to PM200?

what an epic thread.

i'd like to ask about PM200.

it was the first in PM series, released 2 years before PM1000. it seems that only model that comes in between them is PM400, which is upgraded version of 200.
all other models (such as 180, 700...) came later, and are IC based.

400 has transformers, and i can't find info on transformers in 200.
however connectors are unbalanced trs/phone, which is a pretty good signal of no transformers inside.
also there's no inductor EQs in 200, i think they are transistor based.

interesting question is - did PM1000 inherit any circuits from 200, or was is designed from a scratch?
Old 12th August 2017 | Show parent
bump...

any input on PM200, anyone?
Old 12th August 2017 | Show parent
Deleted 1846071
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
PM700 (stock but with 5 Fish Power Supply kit) vs Modded (digital drummer site) PM1000 with external PSU.

Signal chain was JJ Audio Mics Mutt into PM700/PM1000 into dbx 163X into ART Pro Vla into DAW.

PM700 0:00 to 0:27

PM1000 0:28 to finish.

Each preamp has different characteristics that stand out with the same mic. Notice how the PM700 has a bit more midrange bite and the PM1000 is a smoother kind of grandfather preamp, dark compared to the PM700. It definitely has to do with the input transformers in both of these preamps.

Just so you know, both of these preamps do not have an output transformer in place.

I usually don't record without compression on but you can still hear the preamp character they are way different compared to my DMP3!

Hope you enjoy.

Peace
Illumination
Really digging the sound of that PM700. With the dbx 163 and Art Pro VLA, I have to say it sounds pretty damn good! Professional even. How much does that mic go for?
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

Yamaha PM-1000 with legs!

Used it for a while in the "basement studio" where I used to live with no problems. It was originally in the civic auditorium in Oklahoma until a music store owner/contract sound engineer friend snagged the contract for the "bad-ass" new multi-million $$ upgrade to the facility. He asked me if I wanted it (patch bays and other goodies) got it as part of a package that included a "cherry" Hammond B2 with Leslie which I later traded for a rebuilt, but UGLY C3.For the price, I actually only paid for the Leslie. The little thing about the "legs" was nothing more than going to my "friendly faces at ACE Hardware and picked up 4 sturdy folding legs. Shortly after I bought a Roland VM-3100 Pro station and the Yamaha went into storage. Now after 50 years of gigging I have a musical warehouse and a not too happy singer/wife who is tired of us putting out 2 rent checks a month for a 1400 sq ft rehearsal hall and a separate storage unit.
Glad to know some Gearslutz agree with me on the PM. Anyone wants it, I'm open to deal. Got a LOT of live performance stuff too! We are doing the DAW thing these days and I hate to see good gear just sitting.
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Oh my, what a thread...

I was thinking how proud people are, ten years after, of insults thrown, why NEVE name needs to be attached to something clearly not like Neve... AND why people still say, after a lot of modding that they have (add your model) when clearly every component in channel chain was replaced? It's not PM1000 any more if you change the frequency points etc.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

It doesn’t sound like neve API or what ever people wanna attach to it.
But what it is, is a good platform to mod.
You end up with a console that has some balls heft and punch depending how far you wanna take it.
Certainly helps the bang to buck ratio if you can do it yourself.
Old 12th September 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Does anyone have any experience with what to check when these things keep blowing their power fuses? I just picked up a board in really great shape a few days ago. Hefted this thing BY MYSELF up into my second story studio space. On the floor, all 16 channels checked out great. Everything worked fine. Then, I hefted this thing into place, and now every time I power it up, the thing blows the power fuses! It's making me crazy.

Any ideas on what could possibly be going on?

Thanks!
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Might be anything that causes too much current drawn from the PSU. You might want to open it and check if anything is loose inside and shorting out something when moving. After all, all was well on the floor, after moving it to it's final place things went wrong?
Old 13th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

You probably pulled some connection on the pcb backplate when hauling it upstairs. Open up and check continuity of the power rail all the way to ch 16 (or 1, wherever the end is) and look for obvious shorts.
Old 15th September 2019
Here for the gear
Ok so I got some new fuses in here. After running all of those tests, everything checked out! It even turned on and worked great. All the channels pass audio and the pres sound super. As soon as I plugged the DB-25 cable into the direct out port on the back, BOOM, fuses blown. WTH is that all about? Do you guys have any other ideas to try? Here's a picture of what it looks like on the back: https://www.dropbox.com/s/61saukv1qv...2CE7.jpeg?dl=0
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Faulty cable one would assume. Is it DIY? I would take a open D25 connector, put it on the cable and use multimeter to check every pin if it's shorted to surrounding ones. Would not hurt to do it to check all pins against every pin in the connector.
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Head

In 40 years we're going to be having this argument about Ramsa mixers.
📝 Reply