The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's your "mixdown deck" ?
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

What's your "mixdown deck" ?

What do you guys mix down your analog mixes to ? Do you record the mix back on two tracks in the DAW, Masterlink, other standalone units, tape...DAT...? Anybody looked into the new Tascam hi-resolution cd-recorder ? What digital formats/sample rate/bits do you prefer ? I record back the mix to DAW via Apogee Rosetta at 24bit/44,1khz.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I mix digitally from my Sony to a Masterlink, or sometimes the DAW (depending on the project)..........
Old 14th August 2005
Studer A807

or

Otari mx5050

then back into the comp via motu 1224
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
What do you guys mix down your analog mixes to ? Do you record the mix back on two tracks in the DAW, Masterlink, other standalone units, tape...DAT...? Anybody looked into the new Tascam hi-resolution cd-recorder ? What digital formats/sample rate/bits do you prefer ? I record back the mix to DAW via Apogee Rosetta at 24bit/44,1khz.
Masterlink or DAW.

The Tascam unit is....direct to disc. No Harddrive...
That seems to be the huge turnoff about it at this point....DTD=scary.

Peace and Respect,
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

currently i use the folcrom> great river mp-2nv or d.w. fearn vt-2> pendulum es-8 or drawmer 1968> cranesong hedd back into the daw.
joshua
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

brownmouse,

you mix through a preamp? How does that work for you?

you must have a pad on there or some sort.

Jason
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin
brownmouse,

you mix through a preamp? How does that work for you?

you must have a pad on there or some sort.

Jason
the folcrom is a passive summing device that requires additional gain (a mic preamp works perfectly- no pad needed). you also have the added bonus of picking different flavors for each mix by trying different preamps.

http://mercenary.com/rmfo16chpasu.html

joshua
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

cool,

I also have the mp2-nv although never tried it. I also have the plans for an external pad but never actually gave it a go.

Jason
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Maniac

What would be the advantage of mixing down to a Masterlink over the DAW?
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

bounce to disk (logic 5.51 on PC forever!!!!)
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

otari mtr-12 1/2" w/ gp9 @ 30 ips

- jack
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Nut

Mixdown Deck

Tracks 23 & 24 on a Radar 24 Nyquist at 24-bit 48k usually. 96k on classical and acoustic projects.

Audy O
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

1/4" 30ips Tascam ATR-60 and two tracks of RADAR. If a RADAR project 44.1k if a 2" project 88.2k.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Mostly analog out to modified Masterlink. Sometimes out to the board and back in to two track on the computer.

I'm still not a BTD convert.
Old 15th August 2005
One with big hooves

It depends on the material, but it's either a Studer A80MkII RC 1/4" 2-track at 15ips or a Mytek ADC. The bias and alignment on the Studer vary a bit depending on what I want, but the usual starting point is 456 or SM911 at +5 over 185nW.

From there I'll do a capture back into the Mytek and before the tape shortage, I'd send the original analog reels and the capture to the ME and let him pick the one that sounds best. But since the shortage I'm only sending the capture.

If I'm not mixing in my own room I'll use whatever's around and make it work. I might have to work a little harder but that's cool.
Old 15th August 2005
I've been using the Tascam DV-RA1000 or the Masterlink.

I know a lot of people get turned off on the lack of a hard drive on the Tascam, but I never met a tape deck with a hard drive either. heh
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

Foxtex E-2. Runs 1/2" tape at 15 & 30 ips.
Old 15th August 2005
Ampex 1/4" ATR 800 @ 15ips. Goes through Lavry Blue to get back to digital.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

wavelab.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Hi!

Mixdown in Soundtracs Virtua back to computer via 2 ADAT tracks

Mike
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

studer a810 or straight to dig, depending on how much transient i wish to keep versus kill.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
Masterlink or DAW.

The Tascam unit is....direct to disc. No Harddrive...
That seems to be the huge turnoff about it at this point....DTD=scary.

Peace and Respect,
I've been using a Tascam DV-RA1000 for about 3 months now and it works very well.
I don't quite understand the problem of not having a hard drive in the unit. Just plug a USB cable from the unit to your computer and drag the file accross if you want. You've already got a number of hard drives I assume.
I tend to store my tracks on the DVD which is rewriteable of course and erase tracks I don't want....just like a hard drive. You can store 99 projects on one DVD. I tend to keep it to 1 project (Album) per DVD.
Tracks are stored 24bit 192k (my choice).
I love this thing and the converters sound great.
I didn't want yet another drive to worry about in the unit itself.
Much easier to drag the file accross or faster yet to put the DVD in your computer and back it up that way. Drives and DVDs are cheap enough.
So I mix out of the MixDream analog straight to the Tascam.
You end up with a copy on the DVD and then a copy on whatever drive you want.
It's also cool to burn a CD for the client as the track is playing and do your final when they are driving home listening to their burn in the car.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Digitally from PT to Sonic Solutions HD. Right now no analog mixdown, but I work on it...

Bill
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Buckle
I've been using a Tascam DV-RA1000 for about 3 months now and it works very well.
I don't quite understand the problem of not having a hard drive in the unit. Just plug a USB cable from the unit to your computer and drag the file accross if you want. You've already got a number of hard drives I assume.
I tend to store my tracks on the DVD which is rewriteable of course and erase tracks I don't want....just like a hard drive. You can store 99 projects on one DVD. I tend to keep it to 1 project (Album) per DVD.
Tracks are stored 24bit 192k (my choice).
I love this thing and the converters sound great.
I didn't want yet another drive to worry about in the unit itself.
Much easier to drag the file accross or faster yet to put the DVD in your computer and back it up that way. Drives and DVDs are cheap enough.
So I mix out of the MixDream analog straight to the Tascam.
You end up with a copy on the DVD and then a copy on whatever drive you want.
It's also cool to burn a CD for the client as the track is playing and do your final when they are driving home listening to their burn in the car.
Hey Bro...Glad to hear it's working well. I have heard the converters are nice and overall the idea is great.

I think people are just a bit scared by trusting thier work 'burning' directly to DVD...and I personally don't use RW's for anything. Fear based history can impede progress that way.

I personally backup to 2 HDs and 1 DVD..I am a paranoid schitzo-freak-aloid.

The unit is new...give it some time for folks to warm up to the idea. If it is great, word will generally get around.

Peace and Respect,
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

out of DAW via 1/4' analog to
API8200a to
mindprint DTC
back to DAW.

peace!

FM

FM meets the FDA Recommended Daily Allowance of fiber.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Head

Phil Buckle!!!! Right here!

Phil Buckle!!!!

Fantastic to see your message.
Big fan of your work!

"Burn for You" is one of my favorite songs, have worked for years trying to play it the way you do. Still looking for a "Chain Reaction" concert video to study.
(I had a bad dub of someone's Australian VHS several years ago - was the only way to see the amazing guitar work you do).

Hope all is going well for you!!!

- mark
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Who's still selling them new? How good are the cheaper 2 track decks
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Radar Nyquist @ whatever the current project sample rate is. Used to use a masterlink. Much happier now.
heh
Sean
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
Hey Bro...Glad to hear it's working well. I have heard the converters are nice and overall the idea is great.

I think people are just a bit scared by trusting thier work 'burning' directly to DVD...and I personally don't use RW's for anything. Fear based history can impede progress that way.

I personally backup to 2 HDs and 1 DVD..I am a paranoid schitzo-freak-aloid.

The unit is new...give it some time for folks to warm up to the idea. If it is great, word will generally get around.

Peace and Respect,
I will admit that I was very sceptical at first and in fact did some research here at Gearslutz before I purchased. I was ready to buy the Masterlink and it was only a chance meeting with a very knowledgeable importer of both units that changed my mind. This guy was very clued up on the Tascam and showed me literature that I hadn't seen before. They loaned the unit to me (very kind) and after a couple of weeks I was never going to give it back.
One of the main focuses of the unit was the converters. They made sure they didn't screw that up.
There are a lot of features on this thing I'll probably never use and I know it's not immune to failure but at the price it was perfect for my situation.
I really like having a "mixdown" desk.
I think you are right about people not trusting the burning direct to DVD and that's completely understandable. It could turn out that Tascam have taken to much of a chance.
Funny thing is if someone made a small 1/4" reel to reel desk top tape machine specifically designed for mixdown I would be there in a flash!
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_boy5
Phil Buckle!!!!

Fantastic to see your message.
Big fan of your work!

"Burn for You" is one of my favorite songs, have worked for years trying to play it the way you do. Still looking for a "Chain Reaction" concert video to study.
(I had a bad dub of someone's Australian VHS several years ago - was the only way to see the amazing guitar work you do).

Hope all is going well for you!!!

- mark
Thanks for your kind words Mark. You know that track is not to difficult to play if you use the thumb of the left hand to cover the bass part. The difficulty of that song is that the guitar is so exposed and any small glitch is going to be heard. I used to make sure I was stone cold sober until we had played that song.
Then, as if by magic, a scotch would appear side of stage!
I am just finishing an album for local singer Belinda Emmett. There is a ballad that features similar guitar work.....except this time it's a tuning. When the album is released I'll put up that track up on my site with some tab. Probably not until next Feb so come back to my site around then.
Happy picking!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search