The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Control with PT HD- a kinda long post
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear
Mackie Control with PT HD- a kinda long post

Hi all,

I've just purchased a HD3 system and I have been looking at controller options. Pro Control is out for now so I looked at a used HUI for about $1500. There seem to be ongoing reliability issues with this piece but I do need the CR and talkback functions so I got thinking.

I could pick up a Mackie Control and a Benchmark DAC-1 for about $1800 and this would give me digital ins from my 192 and cd player as well as good headphones outs and level control. Next for talkback, my headphone amp for now will be a Behringer powerplay and I think I should be able to use the aux ins/main mix combination to rig a kind of talkback system.

I guess my questions are -

has anybody used the Mackie Control?

The HUI implementation seems cool but how is fader feel, reliability etc?

The benchmark should be a step up from the 192 analog outs - anyone compared 'em?

Any other ideas on the talkback issue?

All input would be greatly appreciated, opportunities to demo this stuff in Ireland exist only at a huge price premium,

cheers,
Ruairi O'Flaherty
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Ru:

I was dealing with the exact same issues a few years ago when I made the transition from 3 ADATs to the then new Pro Tools version 4. At that time, I was convinced I needed "real" faders to mix comfortably, so i bought a Mackie HUI.

I found as time went on, I used it less and less. Not that it didn't work, it just ended up being more convenient to work "on screen" with the mouse, the screen faders, and drawn-in automation. So eventually i sold it.

I would suggest using an inexpensive mixer for your talk-back needs. Something like the StudioMaster Trilogy, Mackie 1604 VLZ, A&H MixWizard, or something from Soundcraft. If you have a bit more money you could get a Crest XR.

The other advantage to getting one of these mixers while tracking is you can send stems out of the HD192 to pairs of line inputs on the mixer, and then use the aux sends to set up three different stereo or six mono cue mixes. That's why I like the Studio Master, because you get six simultaneously available aux sends on each channel (unlike the Mackie) and they are all switchable to pre-fader (unlike the MixWizard).

So here's the plan - you use the mixer for tracking, but when it comes time to mix, you monitor through the Benchmark. Best of both worlds! As a matter of fact, that's what i'm planning to do as soon as I get my Benchmark DAC1 (unless I get the Apogee Mini-DAC).
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear
cheers littledog,

interesting perspective on the faders, I feel like my mixes aren't breathing quite as much since I've been doing more in the box (PTLe). With the move to HD I would like to try and vibe the mixes again a little more. I find the accuracy of the on screen stuff invaluable though.

Would you not set-up a few aux sends in your default session instead of using a desk? I've been using the 02r up to now to generate my headphone mixes. I'm gonna have to think about the approach you suggested a little more.

One last thing, why would I not listen through the benchmark all the time?

thanks again,
Ruairi
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

Here's an interesting, and pretty inexpensive talkback solution

http://www.heartechnologies.com/tb/talkback.htm

Ideally you'd keep your DAC-1 path clean and use this only on your cues, but then you'd lose the dimming function on your CR monitors... in any case, the combo is still probably a step up from the analog section on a HUI.

I dunno.. just a thought.

-dave
Old 27th April 2003
That product looks very cool at first glance..

I'm interested....

Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruairi

One last thing, why would I not listen through the benchmark all the time?

thanks again,
Ruairi
Well, it's just a little more awkward. You see, if you have stems coming out of your HD outputs into your mixer, and your cue mixes are on your prefader auxes, then if you are monitoring off of the same mixer you can solo the different stems without disrupting what is going to the players headphones, as well as set up your own personal mix, which is a nice thing to be able to do (so you can check on where certain odd noises might be coming from, or make sure that the quiet acoustic guitar is actually getting recorded nicely.)

To monitor off of the DAC, everything would have to be sent through the same digital pair of outputs, as well as being split into stems for the analog outs. Not that hard to do, but it does make it harder to solo the stems (I suppose you could have a pair of headphones plugged into the mixer, while your monitors are going through the DAC) but is it really necessary? Seems like it is more critical to have the DAC at mixdown. I suppose you could always patch it in and out during the session, or have some kind of switcher box.
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear
Wow

Dave,

thanks a bunch for the link, that Talkback 600 looks like exactly what I want at first glance. I wonder about the signal integrity in the monitor switch section. Anyhow I'm really excited about the idea of a Mackie Control, DAC-1 and Talkback 600 combo.

Littledog,

Thanks for clarifying that. I think I am unlikely to use stems for a couple of reasons for now I'll do the cans mix off of a couple of aux sends. The thought of switching monitoring chains would get me down.

Has anybody actually used tha Mackie? I'm not really interested in software integration but rather fader feel, noise, reliability?

cheers all,
Ruairi
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Wow

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruairi
Dave,

thanks a bunch for the link, that Talkback 600 looks like exactly what I want at first glance. I wonder about the signal integrity in the monitor switch section.
Me too.. please report back when you've had a chance to mess with the thing.

-dave
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear
Some info on this thang

O.K. a little info for those who were curious.

The Talkback 600 is being sold by full compass for $350
The RC-1 wired talkback switch for me is $49
The RF-1 unwired for the band on the couch is $110
Shipping to Europe (fast) is $79

I'm very jazzed about the following as my PTHD controller/interface rig

Mackie Control - $900
Benchmark DAC-1 - $800
Talkback with remotes - $519

That gives me a lot of control, kick as listening and a decent 6 ch talkback set-up for less than the price of a HUI.

I'll probably go for it on the next week or so, i'll report later if anyone is interested. I'm still curious about the signal integrity of the monitor switching in the TB600 - I'm sure the circuit can't be very clean for them kinda bucks but who knows,

cheers,
Ruairi
Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

I've said this before, but the headphone monitoring ststem from Aviom would be very good in this situation. You could use the DAC1 on the main outs for your control room mix and use the Aviom box to route your headphone mixes, all of which can be done by the players. Good luck!!

www.aviominc.com
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

with a benchmark dac & mackie control , does that give you the
ability to hit a mono button or a dim button with mixing in mind??
thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search