The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which retailers let you try before you buy?
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Nut

Which retailers let you try before you buy?

Folks are always recommending that you try gear out in your studio before you buy, so I was just wondering which retailers do this and what are their terms?
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear
What "Try before you buy" means is that you pay for the gear, but they give you a liberal return policy. You'll pay to ship both ways and still have to front the money. But, it can still be a great opportunity for trying things out.
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro2 View Post
What "Try before you buy" means is that you pay for the gear, but they give you a liberal return policy. You'll pay to ship both ways and still have to front the money. But, it can still be a great opportunity for trying things out.
Gotcha. You know of any in particular? VK, SW, etc?

Thanks
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Maniac

GC has a good return policy too, except on mics. They say it's for health reasons, but they won't even take back instrument mics.
Old 11th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Ahhh..that's what I like seeing. Thanks
Old 11th June 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
Now that is very nice!!!!!!! And I thought GC was good!!
Old 12th June 2009
Gear Nut

Any experience with Vintage King's "no hassle return policy" or with High Profile (who posts on here I think, right)? I'm interested in getting 4 pres in a lunch box and wanna check out a few like the API, Avedis, GR, P1, etc. to see what works best for my me.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Nut

anybbbbodies???
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Nut

I'm guessing by the lack of responses that this is not a common thing, which is interesting considering all of the "you need to listen to a piece of gear in your environment rather than listening to internet sound bytes or the opinions of anonymous forum members" advice I read on here, especially from gear manufacturers and reps.
Old 16th June 2009
Jai guru deva om

On normally stocked items that I recommend, I do this at ZenPro Audio (I own ZenPro). The way I typically do it though is, lets discuss and narrow down what you're looking to achieve. You buy what we agree on, assuming it is going to work out, but if it does not work out, lets use it as a point of reference (ie "it was muddy on my guitar" or "too bright on female vocals") and exchange it without punishment like restock fees etc (as long as you don't damage the merchandise etc).

I find this to be the most fair way to work it out, coming from a small business stand point of trying to manage inventory and be helpful.

I think exchanges are fair with no restock fees, as it implies that the customer is serious about buying what they called asking for in the first place.

It's a two way street, and most reasonable dealers I know will work with you as best they can within their own means. Some have better means than me of course.

War

Out of the pres you mention, I have used them all but do not sell them all. Finding them all at one place may be tough, although I think VK does list all of those pres for sale so they might be your best bet at this time.
Old 16th June 2009

wow, war - reccommending another retailer - very cool of you...

...def get points for that...

Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have done it for 22 years for certain gear and certain situations...
You simply can't send out a $1500.00 mic pre to just anyone and HOPE they send it back if they don't like it...

If it's a well known studio that makes it easier for them, less risk for me...
I don't hold a credit card info UNTIL they decide, but that is a good way to protect yourself from dishonest people..But still not iron clad..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search