The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trigger-units
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Trigger-units

I'm completly new to drumtrigger-units so what I'd like to know:
Can anyone recommend me drumtriggers that are well sensitive to ghost-notes.
I'll be using them for studio-recording only.
DDrum is the first brand that came to my mind, but I'll bet that there are many others.
I want to use the triggers together with libraries like Larry Seyer Acoustic Drums, or DFH-Custom & Vintage, so they must be able to send midi to separate channels in Pro Tools.
Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

bump
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

do you want to trigger from pads or real drums live, in real time, or from recorded tracks?
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

If triggering from audio...while not the latest technology I recall Ben & Bruce Forats 16 bit F-16 sampler/triggers being used by rock producers.
BTW Ben & Bruce were (are?) the guys that did (do?) all of the mods to Linn drum machines.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

I have a Ddrum4 with pads to trigger Dfh Superior with it and works great. I also used it live and in the studio with the Ddrum triggers on an acoustic kit, which also worked out fine.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
do you want to trigger from pads or real drums live, in real time, or from recorded tracks?
I want to use the triggers on the acoustic drums only (kick, snare, 4 toms).
Overheads and ambience will be recorded in audio.
So in the end I should have 6 recorded miditracks and say 4 audiotracks.
I want to keep the drums midi ofcourse so I can fiddle around with velocity, other samples, etc. until I get the right mix between the recorded overheads and the drumsamples.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

there's a nice AKAI MET 35 for sale on ebay.
Cheap, don't remember if it's on ebay US or Germany
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

How is the Roland TMC 6 trigger to midi converter?
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

I also have a Ddrum4 which is cool but not worth the price. If you use the signature sounds, you have only enough RAM for 4-5 kits.

I also know the Roland TD-10 which is in the same league. The Roland sounds are more "produced" (compression, reverb etc) while the Ddrum sound are more natural.

If you just want a trigger interface without sounds, buy the litlle Roland thing!
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you just want a trigger interface without sounds, buy the litlle Roland thing!

Exactly!
Just a good 'trigger-to-midi-converter' without a soundmodule with crappy sounds.
Those Larry Seyer and DFH Custom & Vintage libraries sound way better than those modules.
So what I basically want is:

1 kicktrigger
1 snaretrigger
4 tomtriggers

And 1 converter which sends 6 separate midichannels to my DAW.

I just wonder which triggers are the most 'velocity-sensitive' so I could
assign like 127 samples across the complete midi-velocity range.
Maybe a bit ludicrous to use a 127-multi sampled snare for popdrums,but hey, it's the year 2005

I also noticed that most Ddrum-triggers have a jack output, but the snaretrigger
has an XLR-output; do I need special cables like XLR-jack for use with a Roland TMC-6?
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

You only need a special cable if you connect a DDrums snare pad (with two XLR outs) to a Roland interface.

About the triggers, I would say that it does not really matter. I used Ddrums TriggerPerfect, DDT. To me there's no big difference.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmm....I guess I could also use a 'normal' trigger like I would use on toms on a snaredrum?
I won't be needing a 'special' sensor for picking up sidesticks.
If I use a tomtrigger on a snaredrum, will it also pick up the sidesticks, if I place the trigger closer to the point where the stick will hit the rim?
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think Pinntech makes triggers. I seem to recall a drummer friend speaking praise.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

pintech pads are pretty solid. just make sure they work well with your model drum brain. i had a little trouble getting one dialed in with a roland td10. but, once it was set up it worked pretty well.

also, old alesis d4's are pretty good at trigger-midi and audio-midi...
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

I had a look at those Ddrum Redshot triggers.
Seemed good for a fair price.
Anyone had good or bad experience with them?
Can they be connected with a Roland TMC-6?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search