The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OT: Question for the Drummers
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Maniac

OT: Question for the Drummers

Sorry for the somewhat off topic post, but it seems like there are a few drummers on this board so I thought I might ask...

I'm looking to buy a new double bass pedal. I've been playing with the Tama Iron Cobra Jr. for the past several years. I've narrowed it down to the following 1. Tama Iron Cobra (round cam/rolling glide) 2. DW Delta II Turbo 5002 3. Axis AL-2 Longboard

The trouble is I like all of them but all of them have one or two things that I don't particularly like.

The Tama's left foot pedal has both both "arms" as where the DW doesn't have one on the left side. And I like to keep my hihat footboard right next to my left bass pedal so I can play both simultaneously with little effort.

The DW doesn't have as many adjustments as the Tama(features that I really like).

If I get the Axis I would need to replace my hihat stand as well because the feel of the Axis are COMPLETELY different from most other pedals/stands, and it would just feel strange having the hat pedal feel totally different from the bass pedal.

Any thoughts from the guys with experience with these pedals?
Thanx!
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Head

My 2cents.

I've played all of them and I like the iron cobra setup best.

I actually own a DW 5000 Delta II accelerator double pedal because it was a gift.

The axis stuff is really smooth, so if you get used to it, it works great, if your not used it, you have to learn the feel.

I agree about the hi-hat stand on axis, would be better if they matched.

My reccomendation would be iron cobra setup with a iron cobra level glide hi-hat stand(905 model).
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

I have used an Iron Cobra double-pedal for about a year. It is a rock, I'd feel comfortable storming Omaha Beach with it.
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

Axis= poo poo

I've owned all the above and I really like the Tama. The DW second. Still love the Pearl P880.
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of Pearl. DW aint no slouch, but I've never been a fan of Tama hardware.
Old 26th April 2003
I just traded my Tama Iron Cobra in for the brand new DW9000 - jury's still out, but this is one fine pedal and I never like the 5000 series stuff.
Old 26th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

It's a personal choice, kind of like how now one can tell you how comfortable you'll be in different pairs of shoes. Sounds like you know what you want more than any of us can tell you, but here's a little insight in case it helps.

I like my DW5000 lefty double pedal, and I have the same model on hats. I tried the Iron Cobra and it felt too bulky, like driving a tank instead of sportscar (DW). The Axis felt flimsy and thin to me, like driving a Yugo. I couldn't find a Yamaha or Pearl pedal that didn't click somewhere in it's throw!! I tried three of each and it baffled me. It wasn't my technique, because 3 other drummers in the store tried it right after me and it was the same for them. The Yamaha felt ok though.

If you don't have much experience playing, then it shouldn't matter that much what you start out with, you'll grow into it. I prefer keeping my kick and hat pedals the same, but if I had started out with an axis double pedal and a DW hat, it wouldn't make a difference because it would eventually be second nature.

Also, I don't find the lack of adjustments on the DW to be any kind of shortcoming. Again, that's only because I'm used to it. Give me adjustable spring tension, beater shaft height, and beater cam L to R, and I'm happy.

The only thing I would change is making the DW convertible to a single pedal. The way it is now, the 'main' pedal is slightly offset from lining up with the center of the kick, so that both beaters have room to share the center (sort of making the center wider than it would be if I single pedal was used and aimed right down the middle, if any of this makes sense). I don't know if the newer DW's have dealt with this problem, but you might want to check it out.
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Maniac

The results!

Well I took some time today to try them all out again, and I decided on the Tama double Iron Cobra, and the Iron Cobra 905 Hat stand. FINALLY my hat pedal and my left bass pedal match! Now I can comfortably play both the hat and the left bass pedal simultaneously without the lopsided feeling. I was playing with a generic pearl hat stand and an Iron Cobra Jr. before--a world of difference!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
I'll be making some noise tonight
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear