The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
siblance
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

siblance

whats the best way to get a bright upfron vocal with out a ton of siblance. i mean i have deesser but damn...
i can get the sound i want with my new pt system, but i'm finnishing up a project i did at my home studio with my old nuendo system.

the lead vox plugs were:
Waves deeseer
Waves Rvox at 8(no gate)
urs N or Urs mix Eq
Old 12th August 2005

Try a LPF.

-tINY

Old 12th August 2005
Tell the vocalist to control their sibilance.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Guru

The coolest thing I've tried lately is to make a track right above the vocal track.

Set that track to the same voice.

Copy all the esss to the track right above it and treat it totally different.

You can now add tons of top end EQ to the vocal (without the esss) and it won't blow up in your face.

And you can even lower the esss track to fit in better.

Just keep in natural or it will make your singer seem like they have a speech impediment.

This is time consuming but if you're devoting an entire day to mix one song, it's crazy not to spend 20 minutes seperating the esss.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

It's all about the singer...
but a C12, or 251 into an 1176 will help.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

i ended up using the urs a series(api style) to a waves c4... it worked out for me.. i was tryinto finnsih up some low budget clients project and this one song just had to be full of siblance but with the new eq and some automation it came out rather nice...
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Try reducing the compression, since this emphasizes sibilance...also cheap Chinese capsules tend to bring out the sibilance.
Old 13th August 2005
Lou Judson
It's the mic. Try different mics. Also turn the mic a little so they aren't hitting the diaphragm 90 degreees. And educate your "talent" that they can actually control it if they try! It is a matter of how much they point the tip of their tongue up on the sibilant sounds. Really!
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Judson
It's the mic. Try different mics. Also turn the mic a little so they aren't hitting the diaphragm 90 degreees. And educate your "talent" that they can actually control it if they try! It is a matter of how much they point the tip of their tongue up on the sibilant sounds. Really!
o no, not the ever so loved U87.... fuuck
he actually did record the vocal off axis. i rarely ever place the mic right infront of an artist.
after messing with it sound real good right now. brighter than i usually like but it sounds good... thanks a lot for the advice everyone
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

If you have a Fatso, try using the Warmth function to de-ss.

Works way better than your typical de-ssing side-change action (IMO).

Fleaman
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

It takes me about 10-15 minutes to manually de-ess a vocal track -- far better (and more accurate) results than any de-esser.
Old 16th August 2005
One with big hooves

If I need to de-ess anything I put that before compression or EQ. That way I can kill the bad stuff before the EQ or compressor try to emphasize it.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bear Sound
It takes me about 10-15 minutes to manually de-ess a vocal track -- far better (and more accurate) results than any de-esser.
And most of us usually spend at least that much time screwing with the de-esser settings anyway...might as well just edit it from the get-go, eh? Good suggestion.
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Maniac

handcraft

I guess the most natural way to take that much silibance out is similar to the method described before - to double a track without any hard compression or eq on it, and leave just the 's' there. instead of de-essing with really bad artifacts you can just hit the EQ the s-s out

- or try the phasetone plugin from tritone digital - to find the most annoying frequency spot and reverse it to taste, and hear it dissappear -

also had great results with the same method with a hydratone EQ plugin from the same develper.

it's all handy work and handcraft

-johannes
Old 18th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bear Sound
i've manually de-essed before. i don't mind zooming in and editing... i should've done this in the first place but i just wanted to get the song mixed so the artist would quit bothering me.
i find doing it manually is more accurate as you said

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search