The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
When looking for info, Which Forum Members do you find the most credible ?
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

When looking for info, Which Forum Members do you find the most credible ?

Im just curiosue about this, Which persons in here you know that they know their stuff and dont doubt them when they give a review of a product or give advice about mic thechniques or whatever. My list include...

-Roundbadge
-Fletcher
-djui5
-Nathan Aldred
-I cant remember his name right now (I'll post it later)

Last edited by exfakto; 12th August 2005 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: repeat thread, sorry
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm sorry but I totally fail to see the point of this post.

Are you trying to start some sort of cheerleading-style Forum popularity contest?

Some know a little about a lot, some know a lot about a little, few know nothing about anything and no-one knows everything about everything.

Forums like this thrive on the wide range of personalities, cameraderie, knowledge and (mainly!) cordial gear-driven debate they encompass - would you have it otherwise?
Old 12th August 2005
This is a repeat of some recent threads..

I am going to merge the threads

Jules
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Nobody and everbody...But my point of reference is always myself.

Most peoples 'knowledge' is served to you with a huge helping of opinion that is irrelevant.

Read..... just about any thread. Ever wonder why almost nobody agrees on anything?

The best advice I hear from anyone on this board is 'Use your ears'..'Decide for yourself'...That is always poignant and wise IMO.

Peace and Respect
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Sorry for posting a simialr thread, I Didnt see the other one. I already PM Jules to delete it
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

me
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

It's your post, you can delete it yourself if you'd like.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

And don´t forget to delete this one too. I have seen that mindless cheerleader thingy evolve on another board in the past and think it would be great if we could keep GS as fine and mature as it is.

YMMV,

Ruphus
Old 12th August 2005

Walter was the most informative.....

-tINY

Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'll second that. Walters rules!
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think TonyCrazyMan was cool for a minute, but perhaps he got scared of...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
I'll second that. Walters rules!

i'll third that! heh
too bad he left, i was about to learn how to make multitrack sound long long time.

FM

FM puts the Chi in your Huahua.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Here is a list of people who have helped me out:

Spacewars
The Thrill Factor
Jim Williams
Michael Wagener
not_so_new
Fletcher
Recorderman
Produceher
5down1up
oceantracks
Jason Poulin
Dan Lanois
Mr. Freeze
Old 12th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
Dan Lanois
Does he post here? I must be blind, I've never seen him around. Either that or didn't realize it was him.

War
Old 12th August 2005
You can trust Dave-G and Digitmus ears too, they have a lot of upper end gear and years of experience in general.
Old 12th August 2005
Lek
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorderman
me
lol! excellent
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Walters?! I would never trust anything he said.

Jeez, some people even quote him, can you imagine that?
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, it would have to be Walters who goes beyond the call of duty.

Even when he's not expounding tidbits of inspiration and education....

"you must all be girlie-girls thinking your so hot to make fun of my questions get out of my thread and start your own,.........

he also has the time in his busy day to ask profound questions like those he's posting today over on Harmony C---

Whats the Standard Time for syncing 2 tape machine recorders? How do i match the Sync times together? What Types of Syncronizing is there SMPTE:
Time Code: If i Speed up the Master Tape machine up 2 whole notes or X2 the speed how long does the Slave tape machine take to chase it?
The rise Time? If i Speed down the Master tape machine down 2 whole notes or Subtrack the speed how long does the Slave tape machines take to Chase it?
The Fall Time? Back in the old days to get more overdubs had to record on multiple 4 tracks and had to sync them what Sync types did they use back then?
Old 13th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
Here is a list of people who have helped me out:
(other much greater people than me)
not_so_new
(even more greater people than me)
See the answer is "me" after all....

heh (just kidding)

All in all this is a pretty interesting thread but I am not sure how helpful it is in the real world. You got to trust your instinct and ears. That said it does help to have a few people around that you can help you gage things a bit before you decide what to audition.

I guess my TOP pick would be Michael W. I have never seen him get in a pissing match with anyone, I have never seen him outright flame someone and he does not have anything to sell. He likes the gear he likes and uses the gear he likes. he does not talk down about gear he does not like and he does not talk about it at all really.

Funny thing for me to say about a preson I have never met face to face but I have great respect for Michael.

Anyway after Michael there is everyone else here. Some know a few things and some know a few other things. If you read between the lines you can see who knows what and who does not.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

To me, it's the quality of the forum as a whole. The overall sound of the recordings I make has been positively affected by this forum.

Thanks to all.

To make a list of individuals would certainly mean omitting someone.
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle
Yes, it would have to be Walters who goes beyond the call of duty.

Even when he's not expounding tidbits of inspiration and education....

"you must all be girlie-girls thinking your so hot to make fun of my questions get out of my thread and start your own,.........

he also has the time in his busy day to ask profound questions like those he's posting today over on Harmony C---

Whats the Standard Time for syncing 2 tape machine recorders? How do i match the Sync times together? What Types of Syncronizing is there SMPTE:
Time Code: If i Speed up the Master Tape machine up 2 whole notes or X2 the speed how long does the Slave tape machine take to chase it?
The rise Time? If i Speed down the Master tape machine down 2 whole notes or Subtrack the speed how long does the Slave tape machines take to Chase it?
The Fall Time? Back in the old days to get more overdubs had to record on multiple 4 tracks and had to sync them what Sync types did they use back then?

That`s great !

I didn`t know he was still posting.

I`ll have to catch up over there.

I really wish I`d had the chance to save some of his threads on GS before Jules got rid of them. (though I can understand why that happened.)

I bet Jules got em` all stashed away somewhere for personal comical enjoyment.
heh

Personally I`ve learned from so many people here that I couldn`t even begin to list them all.

The greatest thing about this forum is the complete lack of ego you get from some of the guys that are at the top of the food chain in the recording game.

I`ll admit that when I first got here I was a bit slow when it came to who engineered on what big album in general. I just honestly never really looked that deep into the album credits even when I`d been recording for quite a few years.

I remember on the chat one day I was talking to a nice fellow named Michael Wagner. I knew he was one of the moderators but though his name seemed familiar I couldn`t really place where I`d heard it. I think we were just shooting the **** about gear and our studios and he was talking about the Gearslutz BBQ he`d been throwing for years and was nice enough to invite me down for it.

Some other guys jumped on the chat and after a bit MW took off. I asked the others if he`d worked on anything serious.

They proceeded to name about 60 bands I used to listen to when I was younger while I was learning to play guitar myself and trying to imitate half the sounds on his records. Unbelieveable ! What am I an idiot ! After that I found out quite a few of the people I`d been chatting away with were doing some pretty serious stuff.

But the thing is despite the respect I have for some of these guys they would never make you feel as if you are smaller than them for just having a little home studio that you record demos in. It`s all applicable and everybody can relate to the first time we plugged a 57 into some cheap ass recorder and tried to get a sound. The guys/girls with less experince (myself included) are just as fun to talk to.

That`s why I feel like some of the hero worship is kind of unnescessary when I see it around here sometimes. The top dogs are just as down to earth and friendly as the rest of us. (often much more so in fact.) The chat got to a point for me for a while where it seemed like we were all meeting up at the pub after (and sometimes during ) work. I`m sure if we actually were at a real pub it`d be the same.
Old 29th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle
If i Speed down the Master tape machine down 2 whole notes or Subtrack the speed how long does the Slave tape machines take to Chase it?
Cool. Is there a band called Subtrack yet? I think it's a good name.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search