The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundelux U195 vs Rode Classic II
Old 1st May 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Old thread here I know, but I couldn't resist.
I bought my first Classic II some 15 years ago, and was very pleased with it. Sold it (got out of the business for a while) and bought a new one some 5 years later. Found the new one to be much brighter, sibilant and too harsh for most vocalists. Replaced the tube with a 1950's GE 5-star 6072A and liked what I heard. All along I had been searching for a really good vocal mic. Bought a Telefunken/Neumann u67. Then a Brauner VM-1. Also having a lot of different mics on loan for extended periods; Wunder CM-7, Telefunken ELAM251(remake), u87, AKG 414-ULS, etc.
Cutting female vocals has always been easy for me, pretty much regardless of mic, but I've always felt like male vocals were a pain. Always had to do a lot of processing to make them sit right in the mix. Not with the Classic II. The best sounding male vocals I've done over the years have all but a few been with this mic. Record, eq to taste, compress (1176 brings out some the mids that may be lacking) and be done with it. Sure you may have to use a deesser, but apart from a few times with the u67, I've always had to anyway.
I was playing some songs for a client the other day, and a couple of them made him go "Holy Cow that vocal sounds good! Which mic did you use for that?"
Well, the one you just sang in. Rode Classic II.

My guess is that although Rode may have "secured a batch of NOS JAN 6072A's", they may not all be of exceptional quality. Probably far from. I had a chat with Klaus Heyne about it a few years back, and he said to always ask them to provide at least three tubes with the purchase and for you to pick out the best of the three and return the rest. I have unsuccessfully tried to contact Rode about it a couple of times...
I agree with all you wrote. I have a Classic Limited Edition and along with a Joly modded NTK and an MXL revelation (all are different) is one of the three best mics I have. It'll translate anything, including rock, but smooth jazz blues and smokey jazz, along with strong female voices, are its lifeblood. Rode supplies my Classic with two tubes. I haven't swapped them out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search