The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it me or is the UAD-1 really underwhelming?
Old 13th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco
...make up your own mind...
RESPEK!

War
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

I dig the UA 670 on fingered bass especially, not so much on kick. For hardware, the distressor or daking comps are cool on either kick or bass but when those are being used the 670 does fine.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Come on, they're freakin' plugins! Not to say that they can't sound good... but come on.. they're just plugins.. give 'em a break

I have two UAD-1 cards in my setup and I use them frequently. It's great stuff and I've compared the LA2A and 1176 plugins to a 2-1176 unit and a ADL 1500 just for kicks. OF COURSE the plugins don't match the sound and color of the hardware boxes but the compression characteristics of the 1176 compared to the 2-1176 was very similar and the LA2A compared to the ADL 1500 was also quite similar in character and for the price of the plugins you shouldn't ask for more than that.

Basically no one gives a **** about the differences except other engineers. People who buy/download the music that can't hear the differences between a 192kbps MP3 and a 24bit uncompressed audiostream sure as hell won't care about it and isn't that what really matters?
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think it's just you
(kidding)

UAD stuff is an awesome addition to any studio. Just don't try to compare with the originals. They work well for certain things as well they work well in combination with outboard gear.

Jason
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

I think the answer with any plugin EQ or compressor is to not try to do too much. I get much better results using two compressors rather than one. I find that (depending on the plugins) half of the artifacts of one compressor + half the arifacts of another can be better than all of one.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm with Max.
IMO it's also important to have some headroom (don't freak out because of the term, call it whatever you want) before hitting the plug.
"Proper gain through the chain" - that's my digital motto..

ruudman
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

How are folks dealing with the latency? Anyone using with ProTools?
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

I like the UAD plugs much better than the Bombfactory stuff, although I cannot say, what sounds more like the "original" (there isn´t one "original" in the first place, but that´s another thread...). I have all Bombfactory plugins except of Sans Amp and the Moog plugs, but don´t really use them much and will sell them anytime soon.

I had the UAD-1 for a couple of months and it really worked for me. Waves isn´t my cup of tea either. They´re ok, but way overpriced IMO.

Bill
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
"Proper gain through the chain" - that's my digital motto..

ruudman
Well said, ruudman thumbsup . That´s the motto of recording in general - be it digital or analog.

Bill
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeunit
How are folks dealing with the latency? Anyone using with ProTools?
Isn't PTHD fully delay compensated?

If you're referring to PTLE, I can't comprehend how anyone can mix ITB on that platform and its (marketing driven) lack of PDC without losing their mind.

-Z-
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plec
Basically no one gives a **** about the differences except other engineers. People who buy/download the music that can't hear the differences between a 192kbps MP3 and a 24bit uncompressed audiostream sure as hell won't care about it and isn't that what really matters?
That is the lamest excuse for not caring. If you really think that is a justification for not delivering the best possible job, why not just high pass everything at 150Hz and don't worry about bass at all?

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

i like the pultec on drums
the 1176 on vocals
the la2a on double up vocals

but i'm having trouble getting into the precision limiter, maybe i just need more use with it
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

UAD-1 rocks !!! before my HD3 accel I used to use it all the time, Infact I missed the plugs so much I had to buy them as TDM also ....(HD fills up all the slots on the G5 )
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco
Isn't PTHD fully delay compensated?

If you're referring to PTLE, I can't comprehend how anyone can mix ITB on that platform and its (marketing driven) lack of PDC without losing their mind.

-Z-
HD Accel.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

I use UAD Pultec Fairchild and LA2A quite a bit and really like them. Im going to buy the new UAD reverb and the Precision Limiter. However, how many of us can compare the Fairchild to the real thing? I guess I have limited access.

Im also a big Waves L-2 LinMB compression and LinMB EQ fan, and I too think UAD and Waves compliment each other. A Pultec might be a quick "go-to" EQ and maybe 50% of the time I keep it. The other 50% I bring up either a Ren. EQ or Linnear phase EQ. I will say that you have to spend much more time with Waves plugs to make things sound right, as opposed to a Pultec.

How about Nigel? Im not a guitarist but I rarely hear people rant about it. How does it stack up with NIs Guitar rig?
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

So this UAD-1 card's been out for a very long time now and it's looking pretty long in the tooth as far as processing power goes. So when are these mofos going to put out a more powerful card, or do they intent to milk this cow until all that's left is the spots?
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

actually I just thought it is here for so long... much longer than I expected, without becoming obsolete, I was really afraid when I bought it, that after a year or max two it is priceless trash, but no it is still here and still has power...

ok I'd like to run more instances of fairchild etc, but for ex 1176 isn't DSP inexpensive plugin under the protools too... isn't it?
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
So this UAD-1 card's been out for a very long time now and it's looking pretty long in the tooth as far as processing power goes. So when are these mofos going to put out a more powerful card, or do they intent to milk this cow until all that's left is the spots?

Obviously an agenda here. What's your beef with Universal Audio, did they kick your dog?
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
That is the lamest excuse for not caring. If you really think that is a justification for not delivering the best possible job, why not just high pass everything at 150Hz and don't worry about bass at all?

Greetings,
Dirk
No.. I don't think it is. I'm just saying, from what point of view are most people judging if something is of good or bad quality and what actual difference does it make in the end? Like your example.. if you turn the tables and ask if there's any point in recording if you don't have access to the very best gear available? You pretty much end up with the same answer.

You know, clients dont' have that big ears usually. They can't tell if the tubes in the preamp need changing, they can't tell the difference between a 1db midrange boost on two different EQs, they can't tell the difference between two different sets of converters and most of them can't tell the difference between a plug-in 1176 and the real deal. Why? Because that ain't music to them, their performances are... so they pretty much don't care about the gear and the ones who do care about wheter it's analogue or digital usually has no clue about the actual differences at all. The more I buy new and expensive gear the more I realize that the only person that actually cares about the differences is myself.

I'm pretty sure that I could get rid of all my high end gear and go completely digital all the way using only plugins and I wouldn't lose any clients over it. Why don't I? Because I'm a slut and I want to satisfy my own imagination.

Funny quotes from sessions....

* After been given the character choice of an ADL 1500, Smart C2, Distressor, Manley Vari-MU for a lead vocal track the client goes "well.. you know I really like the sound of the Waves C1, you have that one here?"

* The lead singer in a band commented on the mediocre sound of their last album. "I don't know what happened... the guy had this wall of 70's style compressors, but it still didn't turn out good?!?"

* After playing me three examples of his favourite drumsounds the drummer goes "and you know... I hate triggered drums!". Of course all of the examples he played clearly had single layred samples for kick and snare.

We've all been there
Old 15th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone
Obviously an agenda here. What's your beef with Universal Audio, did they kick your dog?
I don't know maybe Kestral has an agenda but I think he has a very valid point.

One of my complaints with Digidesign is the hardware upgrade treadmill. New hardware to run new software and then more new hardware to run more new software. In fairness to Digi hardware does get faster and better.

UA will release new hardware at some point I assue and I think that is all Kestral was saying.

I think anyone that is looking at or has a UAD-1 has to be looking over their shoulder to see if the hardware is going to be updated with a UAD-2 at some point. I hear rumblings of a UAD-2 on the horizon but I don't know of a release date or anything, maybe someone else does.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why would I have an agenda if I own a piece of Universal Audio gear that I love?

I just happen to think the Bomb Factory 1176 sounds better than what I've heard of the UAD-1

Plus I work as a manager in the high tech industry, you are probably sitting in front of one of the products that the company I work for makes. Product upgrades in high tech tend to happen 3-6 months. When did the UAD-1 come out? 2002? 2001? In the high tech world that might as well be a century. Asking if there's a new product on the horizon given this timeframe is more than reasonable, unlike your "from cesspool to mouth" comments

PS: here's my Universal Audio product. Where's yours?

Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plec
Basically no one gives a **** about the differences except other engineers.

gotta respectfully disagree. ime there are boatloads of non-musician non-engineer music fans with very discerning ears. they're not the majority, but they're not infinitesimal either.

more importantly, today's mp3-downloading teenagers are tomorrow's golden ears, how will they ever gain critical listening faculties if we don't provide them with top shelf recordings?

so imo there are many, many compelling reasons to play full-out in this game besides the ego gratification of the engineer.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Why would I have an agenda if I own a piece of Universal Audio gear that I love?

I just happen to think the Bomb Factory 1176 sounds better than what I've heard of the UAD-1

Plus I work as a manager in the high tech industry, you are probably sitting in front of one of the products that the company I work for makes. Product upgrades in high tech tend to happen 3-6 months. When did the UAD-1 come out? 2002? 2001? In the high tech world that might as well be a century. Asking if there's a new product on the horizon given this timeframe is more than reasonable, unlike your "from cesspool to mouth" comments

PS: here's my Universal Audio product. Where's yours?

Dude, what are complaining about? If I owned an 1176, the last thing I would invest in would be a UAD 1 card. Now go and make some music with your Neve and your real 1176.

Nice stuff by the way. Oh, so you must work for Princeton Graphics monitors, Microsoft or possibly Apple. Did I guess right?

Oh and here is mine.
Attached Images
Is it me or is the UAD-1 really underwhelming?-ultra-pak-cover.gif 
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, what are complaining about? If I owned an 1176, the last thing I would invest in would be a UAD 1 card. Now go and make some music with your Neve and your real 1176.

Nice stuff by the way. Oh, so you must work for Princeton Graphics monitors, Microsoft or possibly Apple. Did I guess right?

Oh and here is mine.
While it's great to have a real 1176 to track with going in, I usually compress only slightly going in, using the Dr. Pepper setting.

I'm one of the few people that actually don't mind mixing in the box. In my experience, because I already tracked with a real 1176, when I use a Bombfactory BF76 plugin later on during mix time, it probably helps the plugin because there was real 1176 on the track in the first place. But in listening to the demo clips of the UAD-1's 1176 plugin, it sounds very different to my ears compared to the Bomb Factory. I did some Internet research on this and based on reviews, there's a lot of people who believe the BF76 and UAD-1 1176 plugins sound quite different.

Not sure how a UAD-1 1176 will react to my tracks, but I've grown accustomed to how the BF76 reacts.

Actually went to a music store yesterday that deals UAD-1 but the salespeople couldn't get the card working Something about them having sold the demo computer so the new computer didn't have this or that driver. In any case, I didn't get to try it out myself in person like I was hoping.

PS: one of your guesses is right heh
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

heh, that pic of a guy holding UAD-1 box 'Rodney Gene' posted.... well, The Amityville Horror was on last night... know what I mean?... lol - dead ringer!
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

I thought I’d post some a/b comparisons for nothing more than some listening entertainment.

Simple set up. I ran a vocal, then a bass guitar through my hardware blackface 1176. I set up the hardware so it was compressing aggressively (between 10 – 20 db). Then I ran the UAD plug phase reversed and set it up to match the hardware as close as I could match it. (closest null I could achieve by manipulating the GUI).

I purposefully compressed with the hardware FIRST because I had the assumption that it would naturally be more flexible than the plug in. I thought this might make the comparison more meaningful to ask the plug-in to stretch to meet the hardware.

I have my own preferences as to which I prefer and why, but I won’t bother with that now.

Here are the results. I won’t tell you which is which.

And please no boy geniuses stating the obvious, “You can’t make any definitive conclusions on a piece of gear through someone else’s a/b test,” or “listening tests are meaningless”.
Attached Files

bass 1.wav (3.98 MB, 294 views)

bass 2.wav (3.98 MB, 269 views)

vox 1.wav (4.56 MB, 251 views)

vox 2.wav (4.56 MB, 403 views)

Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
UAD-1 rocks !!! before my HD3 accel I used to use it all the time, Infact I missed the plugs so much I had to buy them as TDM also ....(HD fills up all the slots on the G5 )
Same here!

And togheter with the URS stuff, virtually the only plug-ins stuff that sees any use.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad
Here are the results. I won’t tell you which is which.

you're NEVER gonna tell us which is which?

i like bass 2 and vocal 2. on the one hand, i hope i prefer the hardware because then i'm a cool golden eared slut. on the other hand, i hope i prefered the plugs because i already own them.

the only thing that worries me here is that the hardware made a d/a/d trip but i'm guessing the plug didn't? or did you take the plug and do a straight loop out the converters and back to level the playing field?

see, that's my out, in case i chose the plugs

gregoire
del ubi
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
you're NEVER gonna tell us which is which?

i like bass 2 and vocal 2. on the one hand, i hope i prefer the hardware because then i'm a cool golden eared slut. on the other hand, i hope i prefered the plugs because i already own them.

the only thing that worries me here is that the hardware made a d/a/d trip but i'm guessing the plug didn't? or did you take the plug and do a straight loop out the converters and back to level the playing field?

see, that's my out, in case i chose the plugs

gregoire
del ubi
Well sure I'll tell eventually!

I like your thinking...always good to leave yourself an out!

Oh.. and yes, the gear made an d/a/d... the plugs did not.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

bass1 is 1dB (RMS) less than bass2...

and vox1 is ~.9dB less than vox2...

unfair

after volume compensation I like bass1 more, there is some buzz/zipper, but it seem more fat and less flat than bass2 to me.

and I like vox 2 better... it is smooother (vox1 is pretty harsh)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search