The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MIx Bus test #2
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

MIx Bus test #2

Fool that I am, I did another test, just as a follow up. I wasn't going to post it, but then I thought, oh, why not, many were interested before, so this is for them.

I tried to take away certain giveaways, like the size of the file, etc. Hopefully, everyone will just listen, and not try to second guess (not that anyone did the first time).

The song is from a demo from an app (not necessarily one in this test). Sorry if you think this song isn't any good.

I loaded the 13 bit tracks in, as is, no EQ or effects, and set the volumes, pans, pan laws, etc., the same in each DAW. Bounced down to 24 bit wavs. Hopefully I did it right (some people think I made mistakes the first time, maybe I did, though I went back, and as far as I can tell I didn't....but that doesn't mean I didn't).

I had to edit the 24 bit wav files down to get under the 8mb limit, so they end abruptly. Sorry for that.

Thanks very much to those who listen and give feedback. I'll post up what's what when it looks like the thread is over.

Thanks.
Attached Files

demo 1.wav (7.57 MB, 816 views)

demo 2.wav (7.57 MB, 339 views)

demo 3.wav (7.57 MB, 802 views)

demo 4.wav (7.57 MB, 544 views)

Old 12th August 2005
Gear Nut

A lil more detail about this mix bus test please .. ?
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yphs_mst
A lil more detail about this mix bus test please .. ?
Errr, what would you like to know?

It's pretty much the same as the first test...all you have to do is listen, and decide which sounds best...no big whoop.

Thanks.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

No one?
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not at the studio, but I'm not hearing a big enough difference to make any fuss about. There is a slight difference in the top end, but it's pretty subtle.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11
No one?

What was test #1? What are you doing here? How about reposting what the original test was or referencing a thread.

-R
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Nut

ok, i'll take a stab at it....

#1 to me sounds more transparent, rounder bass and treble, better transients.
#2 #3 #4 all sound exactly the same to me: more compact, almost 'compressed', less 3d.

my guess is that #1 is ITB and 2-4 is summed in analog domain? Just a guess....

anyway, I prefer #1
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
What was test #1? What are you doing here? How about reposting what the original test was or referencing a thread.

-R
The first test was here:

first test

This is essentially the same thing as that test...a test comparing the mix bus of a few apps...the first test was because there was a thread about one app apparently coloring the sound, and another being better, so I did a test to see if that's true, and thought I would post it up ...
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

I guess I'll bump this one last time.

What happened to everyone from the first test?

It's interesting that the first demo file was downloaded way more times than the others, nearly double the last two files.

Altogether, 86 files downloaded...2 comments. Hmmm.

Thanks very much to sharpeleven and djui5.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I'll bump this one last time.

What happened to everyone from the first test?

It's interesting that the first demo file was downloaded way more times than the others, nearly double the last two files.

Altogether, 86 files downloaded...2 comments. Hmmm.

Thanks very much to sharpeleven and djui5.
Surely you know about the Awesome DAWsum CD that we did that is available at Lynn Fuston's website, 3DAudio. Thirty some digital platforms as well as a few analog consoles were tested and discussed-- you can look it all up. My conclusion, and the conclusion of everyone I know, was that there isn't a meaningful amount of difference in any of this (except everyone agreed my Trident 24 kinda sucked) and that it's time to dance with the one you brung and get to work.

In every DAW five plus five equals ten. If you want eleven, as we all do, you'll have to look elsewhere.

-R
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've heard of it...that test had all faders at zero, this one features panning and faders at levels other than zero !! I would also do a test with plugins and other things, but safe to say, this is the last test from me (the crowd cheers).

the thing is, people still claim one DAW sounds better than another....

plus...

I've read, I believe twice, in the last day or so, that Nuendo was said to be the "winner" of that dawsum deal.

plus...

many in the first test I did, heard a definite difference, clearly preferring one over another.

so....

I just wanted to verify the results of the first test...
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've read, I believe twice, in the last day or so, that Nuendo was said to be the "winner" of that dawsum deal.
Anybody who thinks Nuendo, or any platform for that matter, was a winner wasn't there.

Also, the platforms were tested with their faders moved.

Somebody should do a blind test of 5 identical files. You'll get the same religious testimony.

-R
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Alright, clearly no one's interested...don't know why so many would download but then not comment, but whatever...I'm not really interested anymore either .

The answer's are:

1. Paris
2. Sonar
3. Samplitude
4. Cubase SX

Props to sharpeleven for picking out Paris, and hearing the other 3 as identical. I think he's exactly right (although I'm not saying Paris is better, but it is potentially different).

At this point, it's my opinion that Samplitude is no better than Sonar or Cubase or most any other app....it's all just a complete myth...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search