The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools Tempo Change Complication - Need Advice DAW Software
Old 5th June 2009
Gear Head

Pro Tools Tempo Change Complication - Need Advice

I can use some advice and would be grateful for any tips. I've decided to alter the tempo of a track by two bpms slower. Luckily it is early in the recording and we only have bass and drums. When I slow it down the drums sound fine at the slower tempo (keeping the pitch) the problem is that the bass now is warbling and choppy especially at sustained notes. Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of pro tools. The scratch vocal also sounds fine surprisingly but the bass is unusable after altering. Any advice is appreciate I'd hate to have to recut the bass.

-Bill
Old 5th June 2009
If you use elastic audio and set the bass track to ticks instead of samples it will stretch or compress the audio as you modify the tempo (either for the whole track or via the tempo track). I've had really good luck using it on bass, drums, electric guitars, vox, etc. The only thing I've found that it really doesn't work on is acoustic guitar. The rest are hit or miss depending on how you've recorded the track and how you map out and apply the elastic audio properties.

Good luck!
Old 5th June 2009
Gear Head

Re

Thanks and it stays in pitch?
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightwalker View Post
Thanks and it stays in pitch?
Yes, that's what elastic audio is for.

In general also with this type of operation, long audio files end up with more audible side effects that you're describing than shorter cut up audio files. so split your bass track up into sections (verses/choruses or whatever) and process each separately if you find the problems audible, it might help.

But the ticks point he made is what I've found as well, it makes a world of difference.

Cheers,
Don
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search