The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
US made Shure SM57's vs. Mexican SM57's? Dynamic Microphones
Old 25th April 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

US made Shure SM57's vs. Mexican SM57's?

Just received a Shure SM57 Unidyne III off e-bay that
is 20+ years old (new/never used!) for $50. It sounds much
better than any other I've sung through over the years.
Fuller, yet with good detail (for a dynamic).
Most all of the others ones were the "Hecho in Mexico" version.

So...

What do you guys think-is this probably coincidence or did
the SM57 "peak" when it was manufactured in the US?

Thanks
Chris

P.S. This was billed as "dual impedance-50/150 ohms" in the e-bay listing.
BTW, I had thought only the prior Unidyne III's (ala 545) were switchable.
Old 25th April 2003
Gear addict

The lore is the current production sucks, the old ones are much better, and that still you're better off cherrypicking those due to tolerances and abuse. If I see an older one at a good price, I'll buy it, but damned if I'm going to start hunting down the holy grail of 57's. There are too many great dynamic mics no one knows about going for bargain prices for me to wade through all the ebay listings on 57's.

I'd believe it's better, but is it really life-changing? Does it make you want to toss your Soundstars?

Bear
Old 26th April 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Well other than joining the clergy like Little Richard it wasn't too life changing!

It's right in there with the Soundstars (MKII, X1N) soundwise on my voice, only a bit behind the M88TG on most stuff tried so far.
The greater presence peak will be handy for denser mixes in any case, and the cardiod pattern is more forgiving than the M88.

I suspect in this price catagory the EV 635a's are way more consistant.

Chris
Old 26th August 2006
khp
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Fission View Post
The lore is the current production sucks, the old ones are much better, and that still you're better off cherrypicking those due to tolerances and abuse. If I see an older one at a good price, I'll buy it, but damned if I'm going to start hunting down the holy grail of 57's. There are too many great dynamic mics no one knows about going for bargain prices for me to wade through all the ebay listings on 57's.

I'd believe it's better, but is it really life-changing? Does it make you want to toss your Soundstars?

Bear
Another poster said he found 60% from Mex factory wired wrong. Maybe a simple fix. This blows me away. Actually, the USA machines were moved to Mexico and the mfg. build process has not been modified. Maybe the QC has gone lax?
Old 26th August 2006
Lowdbrent
More likely that the poster was incorrect in his assessment or it was a fabrication. Especially when you consider the sheer odds in getting 6 randomly produced mics out of the hundreds of thousands, purchased at the same time or separately, to come up with the same problem.
Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

How much is there to wire up wrong in them?

There are the two leads (yelow and green) from the capsule which feed the x-fmr and then the leads that go to the XLR. Truthfully, unless the sheild was tied to any posy on the XLR other than pin #1 all you would get is an out of phase mic.

I have never encountered a 57 that came from the factory wired out of phase.

Interestingly enough, my 12 year old daughter was digging in a cardboard box of my studio junk that had been in a closet since she was one. She found a U.S. made Shure Unidyne II "ball" windscreen mic (looks like a chrome SM58.)

I am dying to compare it to my asst. 57s.

I just looked and two of my 57s say "Made in the U.S." and the others don't say where they are manufactured, but they are a lighter grey color. I guess I should make a comparison some day. We have about FIFTY SM57s in our sound reinforcement mic boxes. They are all pretty new, so I bet that they are Hecho in Mexico.

Danny Brown
Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

I had a brand new SM57 made in Mexico and also bought a Made in US Unidyne III Shure SM57 and the US is definitely better. Dumped the Mexican faster than you can say "**** on a taco."
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

I gotta try it to believe this.

I actually own both, so I'll do a simple test.

Will post the results back
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I may be late to this party, but...
I recently read several posts knocking the Shure MIM quality. So, I did a bunch of research and here's what I found: Shure's Mexico AND China factories are ISO-mandated to produce exactly the same quality as Shure US. ISO standards are completely unforgiving. and require the factory to be tested and pass certification every year. Testing is done by independent organizations, and is nit-picky thorough; literally every part of every assembly is inspected. If infractions in quality OR process (including paperwork) are found, the factory can be placed on probation or de-certified entirely. ISO is difficult to set up, and to maintain, with tons of redundancy checks, and is expensive. So, it seems the MIM and China factories are bound/forced to produce exactly the same quality.

And before anyone says it....No, I don't work for Shure, or anyone else. I'm retired, and after reading what I just wrote, apparently have too much time on my hands.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post
I may be late to this party, but...
I recently read several posts knocking the Shure MIM quality. So, I did a bunch of research and here's what I found: Shure's Mexico AND China factories are ISO-mandated to produce exactly the same quality as Shure US. ISO standards are completely unforgiving. and require the factory to be tested and pass certification every year. Testing is done by independent organizations, and is nit-picky thorough; literally every part of every assembly is inspected. If infractions in quality OR process (including paperwork) are found, the factory can be placed on probation or de-certified entirely. ISO is difficult to set up, and to maintain, with tons of redundancy checks, and is expensive. So, it seems the MIM and China factories are bound/forced to produce exactly the same quality.

And before anyone says it....No, I don't work for Shure, or anyone else. I'm retired, and after reading what I just wrote, apparently have too much time on my hands.
So, you're saying the Mexican and Chinese SM57s are just as terrible as the American made ones?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Interestingly enough, my 12 year old daughter was digging in a cardboard box of my studio junk that had been in a closet since she was one. She found a U.S. made Shure Unidyne II "ball" windscreen mic (looks like a chrome SM58.)
Do you mean Unisphere I? That was the designation for the 56x series (still in production via the 565SD), which was the precursor to the SM58. The Unidyne II capsule was used in the model 55.

As far as US vs. Mexico goes, I have a couple of Mexican SM57s, a US SM56, and a bunch of US 545s, a 546, etc. Not sure about anyone else's, but mine all sound pretty similar. The custom* gold-plated 545SG I have is a far bigger deal than any tiny differences in sound between all of them.

*Shure offered a gold version of the 545S as the 545SG, but this is actually a 545S in a 546 body.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Are you Shure they are from Mexico?

I was reading about some mics sold by a reputable dealer which were actually Chinese versions. It's not known if the dealer knew they were knock-offs for not.

The only clear sign of Shure knock-offs has been in the 555SH series, where the capsule, back mounting piece, and body are obvious. The body is the true giveaway since most of the ones $50 and under are made from ABS plastic rather than potted metal. There's a few people on ePay selling them as Genuine Shure.

I did have to chuckle at one knockoff, which the name plate for the product is "Shuer".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search