The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Waves

I was considering upgrading my Gold Bundle to the Platinum or Diamond bundle to give me some more mastering tools. I'm stuck with the L1 and I hear that the L2 and L3are more useable. And they wanted like 1800.00 to upgrade to Diamond! I mean I know that somebody had to put some time in R&D to make this software happen but come on. I don't know I just think it's crazy. Is it me or Is waves overpriced?
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Some Other Options....

For Mastering, consider the new Sony Limiter Plugin...

http://www.sonyplugins.com/

But, if the $$$ isn't going to kill you, the waves bundles are awesome. The Platinum should give you the L2, I am unsure if you get the L3 with that.

Also, Check out the MaxxBCL for your mastering needs. The converters in it are amazing, and it gives you some of those plugins you are looking for. Plus, it is easy to sell Waves hardware to mastering guys (if you ever want to sell it).

http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=1600

Best Of Luck!
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'd rather grow bamboo under my finger nails than give Waves any more of my hard earned cash. I have both Native Power Poop and the Renaissance collection. I don't mind them sonically, or rather, I don't mind the Ren stuff and occaisionally may seek a NPP plug but then it always ends in tears.

Maybe it's Logic (apple), maybe it's Waves, I don't know and have given up caring. They don't work together. Period. In fact, that's not exactly true, there are brief moments in their respective upgrade cycles they that they click. But the moment is always fleeting and you can be sure that you'll end up using it on a crucial mix element, only to return weeks later to find that the marriage is over.

Bollox to Waves, my plug in $$$ will now only go to UAD, URS and Sony (and Cranesong if they were ever to do AU or Powercore Plugs. please???)

dfegad waves
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I'd also recommend going with the Sony Plugs instead of the Waves stuff... although, I haven't tried their new limiter, if it is up to par with the rest of their plugs, it will be great.

I know Waves sells individual plugs via their website (at least at one point they did). Of course, they charge enough for each plug that it makes buying the pack seem almost reasonable.... almost. Not sure if dealers can sell individual Waves plugs, though.

Regards,
CJ
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Have you tried the UAD stuff? Their Precision Limiter is my favorite software limiter so far. I still haven't demo'd the Sony Limiter, and it'll probably be good. But check out the UAD if you can.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah I'll check into the UAD stuff. I should check the Sony stuff too. What is their Limiter called? Inflator I think?
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sony has a Limiter now, as well as the Inflator that they've had for a while. If you check out the description, the Inflator is a 'Louderizer' more than a peak limiter. They usually say it's pretty important to use the Inflator after some kind of dynamics processing rather than by itself. I think a lot of people were using just the Inflator which isn't really how they designed it. I remember it being nice, but for some reason I didn't think it was something I really needed. I bought the Dynamics and the Oxford EQ after going through all the demos. The Trans Mod was cool. I worked at a place that had that plugin and I used it several times but never bought it myself.

I've been using the PSP Vintage Warmer for a while. My favorite thing to use it for is individual tracks. It does wonders on some guitar and bass tracks, and I NEVER used to compress elec. guitar. I got to a point where I wasn't loving it as much, then Alphajerk put me back on track with it. One thing is that it's got an attack control and then a release multiplier; I kept forgetting that 'speed' refers to tape speed. I'd be thinking it was attack speed.

And lastly, check out the demo of Elemental's Finis. Not bad; in fact all the Elemental stuff has a reason to exist other than to be another flavor of whatever plugin it is.

For some reason we haven't seen a basic limiter from McDsp. There's Channel G, but at a grand, I'd rather throw a bit more in the pot and have a nice piece of hardware.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

That's what I'm saying Max when I start throwing a G or more I want to be able to mount it in a rack, carry it around and turn some real knobs. I dunno maybe I'm silly.
So the inflator is their version of the L2?? I mean a louderizer has to be expanding and limiting right?
thumbsup
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Sony has a Limiter now, as well as the Inflator that they've had for a while. If you check out the description, the Inflator is a 'Louderizer' more than a peak limiter. They usually say it's pretty important to use the Inflator after some kind of dynamics processing rather than by itself. I think a lot of people were using just the Inflator which isn't really how they designed it. I remember it being nice, but for some reason I didn't think it was something I really needed. I bought the Dynamics and the Oxford EQ after going through all the demos.

I believe the Inflator is the same as the "Warmth" section of Oxford Dynamics (when used in the full mode). It is a great option to the Phoenix (and IMO, usually better)!
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

84K Thanks for the info thumbsup
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
But, if the $$$ isn't going to kill you, the waves bundles are awesome. The Platinum should give you the L2, I am unsure if you get the L3 with that.
you get the light-version of the l3 with the platinum-version. you won't get the full l3, where you can tweak all the bands.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

yeah you have to get the diamond bundle to get the full blown L3
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
yeah you have to get the diamond bundle to get the full blown L3
yeah but if you cascade the Linear Multiband limiter with the L3 lite, both in the platinum bundle, you get about the same thing....actually better for me in most cases...

cheers
SP
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I can only disagree with that I hear here about the waves plug ins. I use the platinum and was very unhappy at some point, but the again, no soft crap plug-in sounded really great until I discovered that I was using one of the biggest sucking ADDA converters: digidesing ones. So I upgraded to Prism ADA8 which are said to be the best in the world and yes, I am now very very happy with my Waves bundle. I tested the Sony bundle a year ago and was not really satisfied.

So you see, I think that it doesn't only depend from the plug-in, also from the rest of the gear and of course from your perception. Now about the marriage of apple-Logic, I used to be happy with Logic but indeed, since Apple took over the business, Logic has really really degraded!! Although I'm an Apple fan, get your business straight guys! Logic sucks big time now! One crash after the other. Not good.

Regards
Lawrence
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
I'd rather grow bamboo under my finger nails than give Waves any more of my hard earned cash.
heh heh heh

i use the L2 often and find it ok, but not great.
this is just a lowly home recordist opinion of course, i also looked at upgrading my waves bundles but WTF, they ain't THAT good.

if i had 1800 bucks to spend i would hold on for a little while, keep saving up and instead of a software limiter/buss comp i would buy a real piece of gear.

i have to agree about the URS plugs, they are pretty much all i use these days.

peace!

FM

FM has changed his name to Susilo Bambang Yudhoyonodoes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search