The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
If you could own any console....
Old 10th August 2005
One with big hooves

Money & maintence no object with mixing as the goal?

I'd start with a 32 or 40 input SSL E, gutting and rebuild it from the ground up power supply, caps, upgrading the 2-buss so it's got more bandwith etc. I'd rip out the VCA's and automation and put an Uptown system in. Add a dozen and a half channels of outboard pres and EQ and it's a done deal. IMHO that'll be a kill 'em all and take no prisoners rock & roll/pop music desk!
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
This one, the one and only GML. I wish George would try to make it again, or just give it to me :-) I doubt he would sell it at any price. As I recall, there is something about the pan pots that can't or has never been duplicated. George said something about it being the only true panning, or some such thing. I dunno, I just want it :-)
I worked on one of the 2 GML desks built for the Complex, a studio that George built for Earth Wind and Fire. It sounded fantastic. The clarity and imaging were fantastic!
Old 10th August 2005
After working on just about every console out there, I'll stick with my small format Soundcraft's. Less is more.

Class A, -90 db crosstalk at 10k hz, .0005 % THD, 2 hz to 200k hz flat, very high slew rate, noise at -105 db on the stereo buss.

300 ma output current on each leg out, it sucks power like a reactor. Each amplifier uses over 30 ma idle current, Class A, and they have heatsinks glued on them.

MIT caps in the EQ make it surgical without phase-y swish when sweeping freqencies.

After doing some work on Lenny Kravitz's API legacy, I wouldn't touch one of those unless Mackie was the other choice.

After restoring Group 4's Trident A range, I wouldn't want the trouble of that either.

After re-caping and re-transistoring a Neve 8058 I wouldn't want that level of maintanence and distortion with my music.

One Reporter's Opinion.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

distortion=good
Depends on the type, no?
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Maniac

For tracking: Custom Neve 80 Series (the one at Ocean Studios in Burbank)
For mixing: SSL 4064 G+ or 80 channel XL 9000K(tho I wouldn't refuse a J, either )
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

none of the dinosaur like Neve or SSL. Instead of that a real high end not to big custom built desk like the afformentioned GML.
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

SSL 9000 K. I would happily live with those mic pres if I could mix on it. And I've heard they're not bad mic pres at all.

It wouldn't fit in my room though, so I guess I'd have to settle for the AWS900.

heh
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'd be happy with an API Legacy Plus, or The Who's old Neve 8078.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Some type of really good one that holds it's resale value.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

That looks cool for me..when can you deliver it!!! (AMS-NEVE Aquarius)

Ohh.... its gone already!!
Just give me a Euphonix then!
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

8032 (32)1081 channel amps
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmm. How about a Neve 8034 with 20 Wunder PEQ-1 and all four 2254's in it with a Daking 24 channel custom sidecar (this all just for tracking) and a SSL9000 for mixing? (I consider that ONE console! :>) ) Damn, I need a MUCH larger studio to fit this, and a second console tech! Think Sony will sell me their building so I can have enough room?

JvB
Old 11th August 2005
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
I worked on one of the 2 GML desks built for the Complex, a studio that George built for Earth Wind and Fire. It sounded fantastic. The clarity and imaging were fantastic!

Were they the same as the one I showed? Pretty sure the one in the picture is George's.
Old 11th August 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
After doing some work on Lenny Kravitz's API legacy, I wouldn't touch one of those unless Mackie was the other choice.

One Reporter's Opinion.
Jim,

I know curiousty killed the cat, but I gotta ask...what makes you say that?

Is it because your into the super extended bandwith, ultra-fast slew rate and below .0% THD and the Legacy isn't that, or was it for some other reasons?
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
Were they the same as the one I showed? Pretty sure the one in the picture is George's.
No, it didn't look like that picture at all... it was much larger, no groups over on the right. That picture looks more like a live board, and I know George designed/built a few for Nova Sound. I remember some concentric knobs much like the GML stereo EQ, and similar colors. It has been a while...
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
After working on just about every console out there, I'll stick with my small format Soundcraft's. Less is more.

i cut my analog teeth on a soundcraft 6000, that board sounded fantastic. ultimately, i sold it because i needed more color, but for big wide analog and a lotta headroom, they're vastly underrated, a well kept secret indeed.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Tracking: Neve 88R with 1095 pre's. 96 channel. With a EMI Abbey Road Redd 47 sidecar. I'd also have a ton of GML pre's if I needed something "clean".

Mixing: Unmistakably an Amek 9098i 96 channel with the joysticks.

I'd have plenty of outboard for "flavor" if I needed it.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Bob Clearmountains SSL - If I can't make it sing on that console I'd start selling diapers.

Jo
Old 11th August 2005
ink
Here for the gear

I used to really like working often on API Legacy 006. Easy to use all input design and "distortion" fit really well with music I was often recording. I especially enjoyed the ease of use of living upstairs from it. Traded into API when I had to move out, in anticipation of replacing with another API in new room we are working on.

Sp. with any budget that I have today I'd be happy taking delivery of an API Legacy of some stripe.

I'm probably not a person to entrust with unlimited buget. For applications within my realm of experience , I have enjoyed API, an older Neve and am currently happy-by-necessity when mixing in the 'puter as long as the song is nice enough to keep my eyes from crossing and remaining stuck that way. But yes to mods and custom work , and please let it be modified if it's an older SSL. I haven't really had much time with newer SSL, so I plead ignorance in that dept.
Old 11th August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
Jim,

I know curiousty killed the cat, but I gotta ask...what makes you say that?

Is it because your into the super extended bandwith, ultra-fast slew rate and below .0% THD and the Legacy isn't that, or was it for some other reasons?
Not at all. It just sounded like ass. I got involved when Ross Alexander called me with a big problem.

Lenny K had just played back some of his older CD's through the Legacy and had a fit. He said he would throw this console into Biscayne Bay if it couldn't play his stuff the way he knew it really sounded.

Two big problems were found. First, the 2510 opamp is very dirty. Not a good kind of dirt. The buss and playback section resistors were high value, carbon film. Nice and noisy, and poor croostalk thrown in to boot.

Resistors were scaled down by an order of magnitude and replaced with quality metal film types, you know, the kind you would expect to find in a $300,000 console. The 2510's were replaced by custom hybrid fast opamps. Lenny was happy. The console remains dry.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search